Bananas

Oscarbromley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I was told by my doctor before I was diagnosed T2 last October to have one banana a day as my pottasium was low.
Not been doing that since then until this morning with my oatmeal, just checked carbs and was horrified to see the carb content - are they bad for diabetics even though they are fruit.
Thanks guys

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Oscarbromley Most fruit, especially tropical fruit, are high in sugars, so they aren't good for diabetics.
Do you have a meter? The best way to see how anything affects your bs levels is to test before eating, then at one hour, and again two hours after eating.
The oatmeal might also spike your levels. I used to have porridge for breakfast until I tested and found my bs had gone up to over 10 90 minutes later.

Reactions: ziggy_w

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Both the oatmeal and the banana are generally no good for diabetics. Do you test your BS at all, if not it might pay to get a meter asap.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Everyday I have Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and Blackerries (together and usually twice in a day). You may find these delicious lower carb fruit work for you.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
I was told by my doctor before I was diagnosed T2 last October to have one banana a day as my pottasium was low.
Not been doing that since then until this morning with my oatmeal, just checked carbs and was horrified to see the carb content - are they bad for diabetics even though they are fruit.
Thanks guys

The only way to know how they affect you is to test yourself after eating.
You'll build up a profile of what you should and shouldn't eat then.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Avocados have a good amount of potassium in them.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Everyday I have Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and Blackerries (together and usually twice in a day). You may find these delicious lower carb fruit work for you.

They're not high in potassium.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Oscarbromley If you are trying to minimise carbs, to control sugars, then you may have to avoid bananas, but sometimes, you may have to decide which is the least of two evils. There are plenty of other foods with potassium in, but bananas are a great source, and sometimes, it may be worth those 15g carbs, in order to raise your potassium.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember as a kid counting any piece of fruit (orange, apple, pear, banana) as 10g CHO! These days I consider an apple or pear more like 15g, for a medium one, and bananas - well, I remember a fun half hour on my DAFNE course a while back, cutting up a large banana and weighing the pieces, that that banana was something like 10g CHO per 2 inches (something scary like that, anyway, I forget the length measurement)! The whole banana came out at 28g CHO, I think.

:)

Reactions: Prem51

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Fish is only classed as "moderate" potassium. Shellfish is higher than fish, and white fish has less than oily fish. Sorry about the format, but this is the NHS dietary information for a low potassium diet, so I guess you can look at the "avoid list" to see where you can get potassium from if you want.

Attachments

• Potassium.pdf
    387 KB · Views: 148

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The following foods have more ptassium than the banana some of them I realise may not be exactly suitable for us you need to test to find the best.

Sweet Potato

White Potato

Tomato Sauce

Watermelon

Spinach

Beets

Butternut Squash

then there's Eggs and Mushrooms both high in potassium I believe.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Oscarbromley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I do test but not all the time as I can't afford it two hours after I test at 10 which is the highest I have been for a long time, took dog for a walk and now at 5.2.
Will try advacado instead and will look at the oats also. Thanks guys for the help