High protein bread rolls recipe

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was chatting to @Mr_Pot recently about trying to crack the recipe for Lidl rolls. I didn't find the recipe, but found this one which uses a lot of the same ingredients. A low carb bread roll which is EGG-FREE!

I followed this link with pics which led to this recipe

The recipe makes a loaf of 16 slices at 3.4g carbs per slice. I made 8 rolls which would be 6.8g carbs each plus extra for seeds. I calculated the protein at about 18g per roll plus extra for seeds.

They are a little salty, but otherwise delicious. Not exactly like Lidl rolls, but less chewy and very "bready." If you don't like gluten or soya then they are not for you obviously. More pics to follow...

plate_of_rolls.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was chatting to @Mr_Pot recently about trying to crack the recipe for Lidl rolls. I didn't find the recipe, but found this one which uses a lot of the same ingredients. A low carb bread roll which is EGG-FREE!

I followed this link with pics which led to this recipe

The recipe makes a loaf of 16 slices at 3.4g carbs per slice. I made 8 rolls which would be 6.8g carbs each plus extra for seeds. I calculated the protein at about 18g per roll plus extra for seeds.

They are a little salty, but otherwise delicious. Not exactly like Lidl rolls, but less chewy and very "bready." If you don't like gluten or soya then they are not for you obviously. More pics to follow...

plate_of_rolls.jpg
They look really good! Did you use the cups measurements or have you translated them to weight? Where do you get the Vital Wheat Gluten flour?

Reactions: Happyhomelands
A

Avocado Sevenfold

They look really good! Did you use the cups measurements or have you translated them to weight? Where do you get the Vital Wheat Gluten flour?

I use measuring cups. As so many recipes come from the States, it is easier just to buy them and use them. Resistance is futile.

I used this vital wheat gluten from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Prepa...1498325870&sr=8-2&keywords=vital+wheat+gluten Had some in the house as we use it for other things. The trick is not to over-knead the dough as it is so high gluten. For the first knead, just 3-5 minutes in the food processor with the bread paddle. For the second knead, handle the dough as little as possible, just enough to get it into 8 shapes.

Had to buy wheat bran. Got it here http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/neal-s-yard-wholefoods-natural-wheat-bran-60020283 It is very light so the bag is huge!

For oat flour, just whizz some porridge in the food processor for a minute and it turns into flour.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use measuring cups. As so many recipes come from the States, it is easier just to buy them and use them. Resistance is futile.

I used this vital wheat gluten from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Prepa...1498325870&sr=8-2&keywords=vital+wheat+gluten Had some in the house as we use it for other things. The trick is not to over-knead the dough as it is so high gluten. For the first knead, just 3-5 minutes in the food processor with the bread paddle. For the second knead, handle the dough as little as possible, just enough to get it into 8 shapes.

Had to buy wheat bran. Got it here http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/neal-s-yard-wholefoods-natural-wheat-bran-60020283 It is very light so the bag is huge!

For oat flour, just whizz some porridge in the food processor for a minute and it turns into flour.
Thanks for the info. Measuring solids by volume seems such a stupid idea but I shall persevere!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Gotta say that these look better than the Lidl's ones,need to get my ass into gear and bake some of these. :)
Good luck, Simon. I forgot to say that I am not sure how long these would take to bake in a proper oven. They took 25 minutes at an unknown temperature in my oven which is a piece of junk bound for the dump :bored:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ingredients arrived at last and I made some rolls today. I followed the recipe from @Avocado Sevenfold exactly apart from leaving out the Splenda. I was going to use some Xylitol I had, but then I remembered it was poisonous to dogs and my dog is adept at stealing things. As you can see my rolls are very "rustic" and do not have the visual appeal of Avocado Sevenfold's however the taste and texture was excellent and I am very pleased with how they turned out, especially as this is the first baking I have done for about ten years. I will get some Splenda and make some more to see if that makes any difference.
rolls.jpg

Reactions: CJCoop and filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both look amazing! I'm not a fan of the Lidl rolls and as @Avocado Sevenfold pointed out not for those that don't like soya (that would be me) but they seem to be the nearest thing to homebaked bread that I have seen - well done both :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Mr_Pot They look great! Rustic is good. Artisanal bread is very hipster at the moment :D

They taste good don't they?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr_Pot They look great! Rustic is good. Artisanal bread is very hipster at the moment :D

They taste good don't they?
They certainly do, a slight nuttiness, very moreish with some butter on.
A couple of questions from a baking novice......
Your rolls looked more open texture inside and larger than mine although I was careful not to knead them the second time - did you keep to the original recipe quantities?
What happens if you bake the original risen dough? It looked like the making of a nice cob loaf but shrunk as soon as I cut it and didn't rise back to the original volume.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
A

Avocado Sevenfold

They certainly do, a slight nuttiness, very moreish with some butter on.
A couple of questions from a baking novice......
Your rolls looked more open texture inside and larger than mine although I was careful not to knead them the second time - did you keep to the original recipe quantities?
What happens if you bake the original risen dough? It looked like the making of a nice cob loaf but shrunk as soon as I cut it and didn't rise back to the original volume.
I kept to the original recipe quantities. Only change was using Truvia instead of Slenda. You did use real sugar for the yeast didn't you? This is required. I am a bread baking noob too so not sure about the second rise thing, but have often seen on the telly that they punch out the first rise and let it rise again. It doesn't need much of a knead the first time either as it is so high gluten.

I did read an article about bread troubleshooting. It mentioned not being tempted to let it rise for too long. It gets bigger, but the yeast eats itself to death (?) so has no life left to spring up a bit in the oven.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I made subs with the dough this week too. Split into 6 instead of 8 and rolled into mutant sausage shapes. Very difficult to roll, again, due to high gluten. Tasted lovely though topped with sesame seeds. Made veganised meatball marinara subs.

meatball_marinara.jpg
Wow that's amazing!! Carb count please??

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's amazing!! Carb count please??
Here is the recipe I use, which I calculated results in 8 rolls 5.84g carbs each.
My rolls turn out rather small, maybe half the size of a Lidl roll but they are quite filling so I don't want to increase the amount of dough. If anyone with more baking experience than me can get them to rise more, I would love to know the secret.

Attachments

• Soya and Linseed Rolls.pdf
    645.5 KB · Views: 1,048
Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is the original Gabi Moeller recipe which is for a loaf made in a bread machine. Note the recipe includes 1 Tbs of Splenda, I didn't use that with my rolls as I didn't see the point in a savory roll.

Attachments

• Gabi's Low Carb Bread.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 638