High protein bread rolls recipe

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before anybody says "this is an old thread".....

Yes, and so am I, and I've been away a long time.

Lost it, gone downhill, but realised gotta get my backside in a sling.

So tried this recipe out.

First time in a bread machine. Disaster.

But it tasted OK, so....

Step 2. (With measurements that actually mean something).

This:

1.5 tsp. dried yeast.
0.5 tsp. sugar.
280 ml warm water.
3 tbsp. olive oil.
1.5 tsp. baking powder.
I tsp. Salt.

Now the fun bit....

120g vital wheat gluten flour.
30 g oat flour. (Wazz porridge oats up in a blender).
90g soy flour.
30g flax meal.
30g wheat bran.

And my own innovation....a sprinkling of Tesco's
"4-Seed mix" available in their baking aisle...makes the end product so "Lidl", if you know what I mean?

So, I did mine with a mixer..

Put sugar into a jug and mix with the water.

Put dry ingredients in the mixer bowl....and mix thoroughly.

Add the warm water/sugar and olive oil, and mix on low setting, with dough hook, for 5 minutes.

Or, of course, knead it by hand!

By this time, the dough will have consolidated, so take it out, chop it into 8 rolls, put them onto an oiled/non-stick sheet in a warm place and leave to rise for 45 minutes.

Do NOT be tempted to knead them again. They will just collapse. LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Then bake at 190 deg C for 30 minutes. Actual time depends on how crusty you like 'em. 5 mins + or -.

You should be pleased.

I was.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you MrsA2.

Nice to be back.

Just a quick update: Tried second lot - substituted rye flour for the oats - same quantity.

I divvied the dough into 10 smaller rolls this time.

It worked really well.

Did the sums, they come out at 5.8g carbs per roll if you do 'em in batches of 10.

Figures obtained off the packaging. I bought all my "floury-type" ingredients at Holland and Barretts, who do the really useful nutritional breakdown labels. The rest came from Tesco but, as they say, other shops are available.

They are much better than the old Lidl rolls (IMHO, I hasten to add).

Give 'em a go!

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is the recipe I use, which I calculated results in 8 rolls 5.84g carbs each.
My rolls turn out rather small, maybe half the size of a Lidl roll but they are quite filling so I don't want to increase the amount of dough. If anyone with more baking experience than me can get them to rise more, I would love to know the secret.
Thanks for sharing this. I tried this yesterday as is and today with some modifications and both times it has turned out so good...the one baked today I havent tried as its my fasting day but my wife and daughter loved it... i also made a flatbread and a pitta bread with two of the rolls and baked each for about 10 minutes at 180C in the air fryer and those turned out very good too.... and most important perhaps is the observation that yesterday when I ate 3 rolls my BG did not see any spike... neither on libre nor on finger prick.

I can't thank you enough.

I will be experimenting with these ratios as this can open up so many avenues for low carb alternatives to some of the dishes I loved and have been missing for past 2.5 years.

I will ofcourse share if I have some success with the experiments I have in mind. :)
Screenshot_20230521_104035_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plantae

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I tried naan bread today and I think turned out quite well.

Recipe below:

Recipe for naan:

1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup soya atta
1/2 cup Almond Flour
1 tsp baking soda
250 ml greek yogurt
50 ml lukewarm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Olive Oil

Mix all this then knead for 5 minutes and then placed it in warm room condition to let it rise ... we left it for a good 4 hours.

Later, i just flattened with roller pin, added some onion seeds and baked in oven at 180C for about 15 minutes turning it upside down half way through baking.

Now i guess it may have slightly higher carb content than original bread recipe because of curd but its very filling and between 3 of us we could only eat 3.5 of what can be seen in the photo below and good news is I have had no spike in my BG after I finished dinner.

signal-2023-05-22-00-32-52-785.jpg

Reactions: plantae and CJCoop

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The breads with this recipe are so so good... I have tried a few combinations over the last several days oñ my eating days with no spike in my BG after eating it and it is very filling so I don't run the risk of overeating too....

its so good that it just feels too good to be true... does anyone here knows if there are any downside to using vital wheat gluten for those of us who have no problem with Gluten whatsoever.

So far as I can tell, my gut health seems to have actually improved ever since I have been eating this and I have on all my eating days for past 1.5 week been eating about 2 to 3 rolls during the day along with 2 eggs, sprouts and veggies and today with chicken too.