struggling to get blood

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
ive adjusted the lancet pen and tried all numbers, ive used 28g and 30g lancets and sometimes im having to prick several times before i get enough blood to test..
can i squeeze to get blood or is that not allowed
im suprised by this as i take holy basil to lower my cortisol and apparently it acts as a blood thinner

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
ive adjusted the lancet pen and tried all numbers, ive used 28g and 30g lancets and sometimes im having to prick several times before i get enough blood to test..
im suprised by this as i take holy basil to lower my cortisol and apparently it acts as a blood thinner
Hi @licklemoose welcome to my world!! I use the accu-chek fastclix and, no matter what setting I out it on, I aways have problems getting blood and tend to have to squeeze quite hard. Warm hands are supposed to help but it doesn't seem to work for me! However, that said, I've always had issues giving blood in that they often have to 'dig around' and try several times for mine to come out - and that's just for a normal blood test! In fact one day they sent me home and told me to come back in the morning which was really annoying as it was a fasting blood test.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Try washing your hands in warm water, drying them, then shaking the hand downwards to help get the blood to the fingertips.

Use the sides of your fingers - usually the ring finger works well.

Don't press hard with the pricker, but maybe you need to 'touch' the finger a little more firmly.

Keeping your hands well-moisturised helps too, but don't use hand cream right before testing as it can make it very hard to do.

Yes, you can squeeze gently to coax the blood droplet out.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: noblehead

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @licklemoose welcome to my world!! I use the accu-chek fastclix and, no matter what setting I out it on, I aways have problems getting blood and tend to have to squeeze quite hard. Warm hands are supposed to help but it doesn't seem to work for me! However, that said, I've always had issues giving blood in that they often have to 'dig around' and try several times for mine to come out - and that's just for a normal blood test! In fact one day they sent me home and told me to come back in the morning which was really annoying as it was a fasting blood test.
I was once told if I decided to cut my wrists it would take me 3 weeks to die! My blood disappears at the sight of a needle!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another that has problems. I try not to squeeze but "milk" my finger, pushing from the bottom upwards, avoiding the very top.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Warming the hands draws blood to the surface of the skin, so what Azure says make sense.

The Accu-Chek Fastclix lancers have various depth settings that might be better than your current lancing device, from past experience some of them are a complete waste of time.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a last resort you could try a lower gauge, 28 & 30g are high and will not make a larger hole than say a 21 of 23 gauge. I guess you really need to see how much discomfort a lower one will give you. I know some paramedics use lower gauge in order you obtain a sample a quickly as possible.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had this problem when first was diagnosed in March and had a thread here about it, but since the weather has been warmer i have not had a problem, before i was sitting with gloves on and my hand under my leg:woot: to warm it up, still dint work:banghead:hope you get some

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
thank you for all the suggestions
im not a big bleeeder when it comes to blood tests either
ive even done private blood tests and can use up to 6 single use lancets just to fill a tiny bottle

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you for all the suggestions
im not a big bleeeder when it comes to blood tests either
ive even done private blood tests and can use up to 6 single use lancets just to fill a tiny bottle
I had to go for another blood test weds, 1 nurse tried 4 times:***: i gave her my best arm, but i also told her the other nurse did it 1st Mon:happy: so she went to get her and bingo ! 1st time she did it.
I have to go again tomorrow, hope i get the good nurse :D
Soon i will be moving my bed there as was at the docs /DNurse 4 times last week :banghead:

Reactions: leslie10152

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I had to go for another blood test weds, 1 nurse tried 4 times:***: i gave her my best arm, but i also told her the other nurse did it 1st Mon:happy: so she went to get her and bingo ! 1st time she did it.
I have to go again tomorrow, hope i get the good nurse :D
Soon i will be moving my bed there as was at the docs /DNurse 4 times last week :banghead:
Fingers crossed ok?:arghh:

Reactions: goosey39

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Try not to squeeze too much from the same area. Work your way up from the base of the finger, and try to warm your hands prior to prick test to ensure blood flow to the area. Try soaking your hand in warm water prior to testing. Ensure it is free of contamination.