1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

struggling to get blood

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by licklemoose, Jul 1, 2017.

1. licklemoose

licklemoose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

ive adjusted the lancet pen and tried all numbers, ive used 28g and 30g lancets and sometimes im having to prick several times before i get enough blood to test..
    can i squeeze to get blood or is that not allowed
    im suprised by this as i take holy basil to lower my cortisol and apparently it acts as a blood thinner

2. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @licklemoose welcome to my world!! I use the accu-chek fastclix and, no matter what setting I out it on, I aways have problems getting blood and tend to have to squeeze quite hard. Warm hands are supposed to help but it doesn't seem to work for me! However, that said, I've always had issues giving blood in that they often have to 'dig around' and try several times for mine to come out - and that's just for a normal blood test! In fact one day they sent me home and told me to come back in the morning which was really annoying as it was a fasting blood test.

3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Try washing your hands in warm water, drying them, then shaking the hand downwards to help get the blood to the fingertips.

Use the sides of your fingers - usually the ring finger works well.

Don't press hard with the pricker, but maybe you need to 'touch' the finger a little more firmly.

Keeping your hands well-moisturised helps too, but don't use hand cream right before testing as it can make it very hard to do.

Yes, you can squeeze gently to coax the blood droplet out.

Hope that helps :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was once told if I decided to cut my wrists it would take me 3 weeks to die! My blood disappears at the sight of a needle!

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I am another that has problems. I try not to squeeze but "milk" my finger, pushing from the bottom upwards, avoiding the very top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Warming the hands draws blood to the surface of the skin, so what Azure says make sense.

The Accu-Chek Fastclix lancers have various depth settings that might be better than your current lancing device, from past experience some of them are a complete waste of time.

7. Johnjoe13

Johnjoe13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a last resort you could try a lower gauge, 28 & 30g are high and will not make a larger hole than say a 21 of 23 gauge. I guess you really need to see how much discomfort a lower one will give you. I know some paramedics use lower gauge in order you obtain a sample a quickly as possible.

8. goosey39

goosey39 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had this problem when first was diagnosed in March and had a thread here about it, but since the weather has been warmer i have not had a problem, before i was sitting with gloves on and my hand under my leg:woot: to warm it up, still dint work:banghead:hope you get some

9. licklemoose

licklemoose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

thank you for all the suggestions
    im not a big bleeeder when it comes to blood tests either
    ive even done private blood tests and can use up to 6 single use lancets just to fill a tiny bottle

10. goosey39

I had to go for another blood test weds, 1 nurse tried 4 times:***: i gave her my best arm, but i also told her the other nurse did it 1st Mon:happy: so she went to get her and bingo ! 1st time she did it.
    I have to go again tomorrow, hope i get the good nurse :D
    Soon i will be moving my bed there as was at the docs /DNurse 4 times last week :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
  11. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed ok?:arghh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try not to squeeze too much from the same area. Work your way up from the base of the finger, and try to warm your hands prior to prick test to ensure blood flow to the area. Try soaking your hand in warm water prior to testing. Ensure it is free of contamination.

13. goosey39

Thanks hope so, its a bloody nightmare , i actually might not go till next week as off work this week but i have to be there at 7.30 will see if i am awake :p

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook