One Year In... thank you all

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning is the one year anniversary of me being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
I think I found this forum a few days before (joined 22 Oct 2015) being pretty sure that my HbAc would be bad.. and it was 70 or 8.6 although the previous one 2 weeks before was 87 or 10.1 so had improved a bit, not sure how. I decided from that day to try the LCHF way of eating. I also decided to skip breakfast as it was a meal I could miss out easily thus inadvertently starting a 16:8 fasting regime which I have kept up (and sometimes extend) to this day and I think will be my future.
Weight was about 23 stone I think (my scales couldn't weigh me) the heaviest I had ever been. I was wearing size 44 inch waist jeans.
One year on I weigh 16 stone 10 pounds ( at 10 am this morning) waist about 38 inches. Still have some way to go but a lot better than it was.
I think the combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting is what has helped this in journey. I used to believe it was just the diet but reading around I think the combination of the diet and IF work very well together. I rarely feel "hungry", yes there are pangs and when hubby has a chinese takeaway and I'm not eating there are urges..but these are controllable (a mouthful of double cream often helps!).
I have had a huge amount of support and have learnt an enormous amount about how my body works from you lot. So I would really like to say thank you to everyone here (even the ones I disagree with) and hope some of my more stroppy responses are taken in the right way.. I'm only trying to help and share.
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. I needed to mess up my body before I realised I could take control.
If you are newly diagnosed don't despair..there is hope. After all you are here which means you are better informed than most.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark
that's great news, well done to you and a real inspiration to lots of us on here too x

Reactions: berylc and Prem51

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning is the one year anniversary of me being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
I think I found this forum a few days before (joined 22 Oct 2015) being pretty sure that my HbAc would be bad.. and it was 70 or 8.6 although the previous one 2 weeks before was 87 or 10.1 so had improved a bit, not sure how. I decided from that day to try the LCHF way of eating. I also decided to skip breakfast as it was a meal I could miss out easily thus inadvertently starting a 16:8 fasting regime which I have kept up (and sometimes extend) to this day and I think will be my future.
Weight was about 23 stone I think (my scales couldn't weigh me) the heaviest I had ever been. I was wearing size 44 inch waist jeans.
One year on I weigh 16 stone 10 pounds ( at 10 am this morning) waist about 38 inches. Still have some way to go but a lot better than it was.
I think the combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting is what has helped this in journey. I used to believe it was just the diet but reading around I think the combination of the diet and IF work very well together. I rarely feel "hungry", yes there are pangs and when hubby has a chinese takeaway and I'm not eating there are urges..but these are controllable (a mouthful of double cream often helps!).
I have had a huge amount of support and have learnt an enormous amount about how my body works from you lot. So I would really like to say thank you to everyone here (even the ones I disagree with) and hope some of my more stroppy responses are taken in the right way.. I'm only trying to help and share.
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. I needed to mess up my body before I realised I could take control.
If you are newly diagnosed don't despair..there is hope. After all you are here which means you are better informed than most.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark
well done Mark, that's a fantastic achievement, I have found your posts both inspirational and very informative xx

Greenwave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your anniversary. And thank you for all the information and the inspiration you continue to provide. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In October it will be your 2nd anniversary?
I bet improvements for you since the first post on this thread @bulkbiker ???
Is fasting worth doing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In October it will be your 2nd anniversary?
I bet improvements for you since the first post on this thread @bulkbiker ???
Is fasting worth doing?
Yes 2 years in October wonder if I can get to my target weight before then... still intermittent fasting and toying with the idea of another 7 day fast. One day I'll get committed and do a proper water only fast. For me fasting and a ketogenic diet have been absolute game changers. Stable blood sugars (although still slightly higher than I would like) between 4 and 6 most days mostly 5's FBG.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes 2 years in October wonder if I can get to my target weight before then... still intermittent fasting and toying with the idea of another 7 day fast. One day I'll get committed and do a proper water only fast. For me fasting and a ketogenic diet have been absolute game changers. Stable blood sugars (although still slightly higher than I would like) between 4 and 6 most days mostly 5's FBG.
I've realised the hard way..... only 4, 5 and 6s help me lose weight and on metformin. I'm still needing insulin but hoping to try and either drop it or just have a little, like type1s.
It's strange how everyone needs to find their method but thank god there are some options.
You are doing fantastic! Well done. I wish I had time on my side like you to take it at your bodies pace.
Definitely writing an indepth diabetic strategy book would be a godsend to the newly diagnosed. Even recommend it to oldies like me?
The end result has to be the same. Weight loss and good maintenance to keep this dangerous disease in it's box. ;)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
An inspiration to us all :)