Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
sorry for all the questions
i buy these hi fi bars from slimming world for my sweet fix
can some please tell me if they are ok (please say yes)
or is it something i need to try

Attachments

• hifi.jpg
    hifi.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,086

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends how often you are eating them. They may be okay for the odd treat but you wouldn't want to eat too many in a day. In saying that though it is your choice and if you test before eating one and 2 hours afterwards it will give you a good indication of the effect it is having on your BS. You might find your body tolerates them okay.

Reactions: ickihun

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have often suspected that the slimming clubs are part of a conspiracy to keep people fat and paying out for ever - that they will sell you a 'slimming' bar with 11 gm of carbs confirms it - you could eat a proper meal and have fewer carbs, even if you had a dessert.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
sorry for all the questions
i buy these hi fi bars from slimming world for my sweet fix
can some please tell me if they are ok (please say yes)
or is it something i need to try

Hi. 11g of carbohydrate for every 20g - look at it this way, the bar is over 50% carbohydrates. Now, I am not saying that once in a while, if your blood sugar is nice and low (and weight isn't much of an issue), you absolutely cannot have one. What I think you should take on board is that anything with high carbs is best avoided (particularly if it is simply for a wee treat). You would be best advised to kill your sweet addiction and have no need for a "fix". It's not unlike asking if one cigarette is okay every now and then for your nicotine fix. I know it's not that easy. For you info though - look at the labels and look for the carbohydrate content per 100g...10g of carbs pr 100g is what might be considered low carb. If it makes you feel better...I certainly go over that from time to time - but 50% carb in a wee bar s a no-no.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Too many carbs for one and certainly not enough fat for me. My meter would not hesitate to tell me that either.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I invested in the Carb and Cal Book that tells me the carb values of hundreds of everyday items. There are probably apps that do the same thing but I'm old fashioned. I would, however, not need a book or an app to tell me that that particular 'treat' is high carb and in my honest opinion has no right being within a hundred yards of a slimming group.

Reactions: Prem51

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
:(
guess the kids will be happy
the hi fi bars were a mummy only thing
thank for your help

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well don't feel too down- there are other nice treats out there!
Some people can get away with a bit of dark chocolate now and again. That would spike me less than those bars.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
:(
guess the kids will be happy
the hi fi bars were a mummy only thing
thank for your help
@licklemoose
Have you tried greek yoghurt with a few berries mixed in? I get the full fat natural greek style yoghurt from Sainsburys and have it with a couple of strawberries and some blueberries. It makes a lovely breakfast or a treat after dinner.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
i have avoided them since being diagnosed so not the end of the world
i can try the natural yogurt and fruit (i have lots in the freezer)
guess ive still got a lot of learning to do as to what i can and cant eat
i had ham egg and mushroom omelette this morning hopefully thats not too bad for me
feeling quite thirsty though but im thinking that was the ham

Reactions: zand

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do full-fat greek yogurt with some berries for my evening snack. For desperate times I put about half a teaspoon of a Walden Farms Near Zero Chocolate (or Caramel) Syrup in it and stir - giving it a chocolate pudding flavor and consistency. Those syrups are near carb-free - they do contain artificial sweetener, though. I found them at my local health food store.

Some cheddar cheese, nuts, and half an apple works too - as do pork scratching. It hasn't stopped my weight loss - 16.6kgs and counting lost since January, even with up to 200 gr of pork scratching a week. But I am on a low carb, appropriate fat diet of around 50 gr of carb a day.

Reactions: zand

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
i have avoided them since being diagnosed so not the end of the world
i can try the natural yogurt and fruit (i have lots in the freezer)
guess ive still got a lot of learning to do as to what i can and cant eat
i had ham egg and mushroom omelette this morning hopefully thats not too bad for me
feeling quite thirsty though but im thinking that was the ham

Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate bars (14g barb per 100g...a couple of squares a day is probably ok for a lot of us so long as our pre-munch level is decent; check your meter before and two hours after and avoid more than a 2mmols spike - that reading should be ideally around 8.5mmols at most. When I started my low carb diet, I found smoked cheese slices and strips of dried bacon helped save my sanity. A small amount of Brazil nuts did ok too.