Memory test at DB review

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Or a 48year old.... Bloody hell, numbers aren't my thing! I'm a grammar queen and avoid anything to do with maths at all costs

If you are asked that question, do as @Gloucestergirl suggested. Take away 10 (easy) then add 3 back (easy). :) It's what I do in those situations.

Reactions: Speedbird

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
I had a memory test 3 years ago now when I saw the nurse to have my ears syringed. My hearing had become quite badly impaired and I could hear that she wanted to give me a test but couldn't hear what it was for--I just said yes thinking it was probably (yet another) blood test. Anyway she began to ask me questions & I realised that it was a dementia test. I passed and she commented that I had a very good memory.....! Such a good job that I had as I was teaching up to GCSE maths at the time......!!! So funny that I only went to have my ears syringed and said yes to a dementia test because I couldn't hear what the test was for.........!!!!!

Last edited:

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
I have just completed a 10 year study to see if taking omega 3 & aspirin daily decreases incidences of stroke and heart attack in people with longstanding diabetes (I have had it for 56 years). Anyway I had neither a stroke or heart attack & at the end of 10 years I thought that was the end of that......then I got in from work at 8pm one evening & the person calling was part of the research team and she said she wanted to give me a cognitive test. I asked why and she said it was thought that omega 3 and aspirin could also also help cognitive decline. If that was the case they would surely have to have a baseline cognitive test with which to compare the result (so basically I thought that was a bit of a rubbish answer). I told her that I had just returned from work & that the only thing I wanted to do was eat & have a glass of wine after which it would be useless to give me a cognitive test (she wanted to ring me back later). I then actually refused the cognitive test--had enough 3 years ago..........!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Does anyone else have a memory test at their DB review or is it only for the ancient and decrepit ?
I would like my GP trying that with me, I stuffed him up telling him I could pronounce his surname correctly. So I do not think he would waste my time and his in game play.

My GP, for those who are interested is Sri Lankan and his name A. Sunanda Thilakarathne or Sunny for short, I don't what the A stands for tho'.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My mum is 90, she's not a diabetic. She had a memory test the other day because she went to the Dr. for something else.
So they did all the questions as above, asked her who is the Prime Minister 'that stupid bloody woman' she replied. (We are both Remainers)! She told me this story with great glee on the phone whilst sipping a M & S ready made G & T, we went over to the phone as we both bit fed up with typing on Messenger!

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Diabetic Nurse has advised me to try and keep my brain active as I cannot do much physical exercise due to
other problems.....artificial knee ...arthritis Etc.
Try playing Cribbage to lose.....hilarious....and Rummy with 15 Cards......I play 3 times a week with a neighbour
who is also Diabetic and arthritic......works for both of us........better than a memory test and hopefully keeps at bay
the more serious "Age " problems .
Type 2 for over 45 Years......79 on the 23rd of this month........keep smiling..it definitely helps.
Kind regards to everyone..........

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My Diabetic Nurse has advised me to try and keep my brain active as I cannot do much physical exercise due to
other problems.....artificial knee ...arthritis Etc.
Try playing Cribbage to lose.....hilarious....and Rummy with 15 Cards......I play 3 times a week with a neighbour
who is also Diabetic and arthritic......works for both of us........better than a memory test and hopefully keeps at bay
the more serious "Age " problems .
Type 2 for over 45 Years......79 on the 23rd of this month........keep smiling..it definitely helps.
Kind regards to everyone..........
The sort of exercise recommended for exercising the brain is really weird and quite wide ranging. We sometimes do four (because there are four of us doing it. My parents would not if we did not). Mine for today is

Explore a food that you eat regularly for 30 seconds today. Notice initial and changing tastes and textures

Notice the world through taste. Mindfulness meditation alters regions of the brain associated with memory

http://www.hellobrain.eu/en/

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does anyone else have a memory test at their DB review or is it only for the ancient and decrepit ?
CAROL
I'm 66, and I don't think I'm ancient or decrepit - 60 is the new 40! I haven't had the dementia test from DN at my diabetic reviews as yet.
I do have an annual medication review with my GP, and she does the dementia test then, since I reached 60.
I don't remember having been asked to count backwards. Usually I get that address question (42 West Street), I have been asked the year World War 1 started, and the year World War 2 ended, and the Prime Minister's name. I have always got all the answers right so I am officially not demented. Well not yet anyway.
I think it is good that she does the test as I would like to know if I am heading for dementia.

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that is the street can anyone remember the name of the man ?I think that the town was Bedford ?'I am on my 2nd glass of wine !!Been for hearing aids today ,eye tests twice last week so drowning sorrows
CAROL

JolyonKay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
slimming
When I had a test I managed To get most of the answers right, and the tester gave me heavy hints on the rest, so I was marked 100%. It was kind of him, I thought.

lindisfel

Expert
A game has been produced which is hoped will be free on Playstore that improves brain function for those with some impairment. It is apparently of help to all and enjoyable to play. It was designed to give best improvement results. Derek

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
My mum is 90, she's not Nica diabetic. She had a memory test the other day because she went to the Dr. for something else.
So they did all the questions as above, asked her who is the Prime Minister 'that stupid bloody woman' she replied. (We are both Remainers)! She told me this story with great glee on the phone whilst sipping a M & S ready made G & T, we went over to the phone as we both bit fed up with typing on Messenger!
Nice to know there is more than one, 'Brenda from Bristol'.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some of the other questions asked at DB review are either big brother is watching you or hilarious e.g. How much housework do you do each week !! I didn't ask if she would ask my husband that question I just said "as little as possible !"
CAROL

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I endure one of those memory tests at each review. Thankfully the name and address thing is quite easy as they always seem to use Mr John Smith, 42 High Street, Birmingham - and my ex-brother-in-law was a John Smith who came from Brum - so all I had to remember was the 42 High Street bit.....

What I really didn't like was her asking me to tell her what time I thought it was without looking at my watch - that was hard as I'd sat in the waiting room for ages waiting for my appointment and had got stuck in to my book so lost all track of time...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Some of the other questions asked at DB review are either big brother is watching you or hilarious e.g. How much housework do you do each week !! I didn't ask if she would ask my husband that question I just said "as little as possible !"
CAROL

Oh - I've never been asked that one, thank goodness. I wonder if its the actual ability to do the housework or the remembering how long you spend doing it that they are testing for. Carol, I think your answer was probably the best one.