How much Insulin you are taking? Just curious

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking NOVORAPID 38 UNITS morning, lunch and evening time

Then my Lantus 100 units at night time

I feel this is quite a lot but sometimes my sugar is still high even I am also in low carb diet

I am type 2 with metformin SR also 500 mg 2 x a day (suppose to be 1000 but stomach upset is getting bad so I have to adjust for a while)

What insulin you are having??

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mind me asking if you are overweight? If so, you probably have insulin resistance. If this is the case your cells are rejecting much of the insulin, so you need more and more for it to have any effect. The less carbs you eat the less insulin you should require.

I am diet only so rely on my own natural insulin.

Reactions: Janr20

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin

I feel this is quite a lot but sometimes my sugar is still high even I am also in low carb diet

I am type 2 with metformin also 500 mg 2 x a day (suppose to be 1000 but stomach upset is getting bad so I have to adjust for a while)

Hi I am Type 2 new to insulin

Lantus 42 - 46 2130 and NovoRapid 9-14 u
Diet, exercise and Metformin tabs x 2 a day
Not on low carb diet. First time in 2 years HA1c 57 prior to introducing insulin Ha1c 67

Just had high blood sugars due to infection 18 - 20 during day and evening finally settling

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

I am type 2 with metformin also 500 mg 2 x a day (suppose to be 1000 but stomach upset is getting bad so I have to adjust for a while)

Hi @edmundozeta. I am currently on 34 units of novorapid and 30 units of lantus per day. This fluctuates during periods of illness and infection. I was previously on 70 units of mixtard per day but it soon began to lose effectiveness. Your dosage sounds rather high, but I am not a physician so I should not question it.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Not on low carb diet. First time in 2 years HA1c 57 prior to introducing insulin Ha1c 67

Just had high blood sugars due to infection 18 - 20 during day and evening finally settling
You get used to insulin dosage over time. During periods of illness you may need to adjust the dosage to account for raised levels, but confirm with your GP first.

kelvin45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver
66 units Lantus in the morning, 48 units Apidra with meals, Metformin 500mg x 3 daily

Reactions: ickihun

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Levemir 78 split into 2 doses 12 hours apart and humalog around 30 a day depending on the carbs I eat. The humalog is about one third of previous doses. Reduced due to low carb. Had to stop the metformin as I was so ill with it.

Reactions: ickihun

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mind me asking if you are overweight? If so, you probably have insulin resistance. If this is the case your cells are rejecting much of the insulin, so you need more and more for it to have any effect. The less carbs you eat the less insulin you should require.

I am diet only so rely on my own natural insulin.

I am officially overweight now after 2 years in insulin....but I was not before. I gained 10 kilos because of the side effect of insulin and even with a diet doing low carbs, I am struggling to loose weight. So hopefully seeing my GP this next two weeks, we might try some different medication.

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Levemir 78 split into 2 doses 12 hours apart and humalog around 30 a day depending on the carbs I eat. The humalog is about one third of previous doses. Reduced due to low carb. Had to stop the metformin as I was so ill with it.

So you got problem with metformin as well...me too as well...have to lower the dosage because of upset stomach....and its really bad upset stomach ...thanks for your reply

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for your reply, I started with small dosage as well and it works but during the time, my sugar level creeping getting high and have to adjust slowly and end up on what units I am having now. I have to stop adjusting it (as advised as well by my diabetes nurse) because it doesn't effect anymore. I usually have 8 in the morning and around 9-10 in daytime before a meal, it's not rocket high but still it's not in good range with all of this insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask how low carb you are? Do you know how many grams you eat a day?
Maybe we can help you if you tell us what a typical days food is. It could be you are eating too many above your own tolerance level (we all have different tolerance levels)

Reactions: azure

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply, I started with small dosage as well and it works but during the time, my sugar level creeping getting high and have to adjust slowly and end up on what units I am having now. I have to stop adjusting it (as advised as well by my diabetes nurse) because it doesn't effect anymore. I usually have 8 in the morning and around 9-10 in daytime before a meal, it's not rocket high but still it's not in good range with all of this insulin.

Edmundozeta - A number of people find Metformin tricky on the tummy. There is another form of Metformin, called Metformin SR or ER. The SR or ER stands for Slow Release or Extended Release. They tend to be kinder to the innards. Most GPs don't prescribe them in the first instance as they are a bit more expensive than straightforward Metformin.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Janr20

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask how low carb you are? Do you know how many grams you eat a day?
Maybe we can help you if you tell us what a typical days food is. It could be you are eating too many above your own tolerance level (we all have different tolerance levels)

Around 20-40 grams per day. Most of my carbs coming from vegs..So definitely no Pasta, rice or bread for me.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Edmundozeta - A number of people find Metformin tricky on the tummy. There is another form of Metformin, called Metformin SR or ER. The SR or ER stands for Slow Release or Extended Release. They tend to be kinder to the innards. Most GPs don't prescribe them in the first instance as they are a bit more expensive than straightforward Metformin.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks for your reply and comment, I forgot to mention I am on SR because of this problem before but still bothering me with upset tummy. But its seems settled when I reduce it to 1 tablet 500 mg in Morning and 1 tablet 500 mg in evening compare to double dosage of it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Around 20-40 grams per day. Most of my carbs coming from vegs..So definitely no Pasta, rice or bread for me.

That sounds absolutely fine. What sort of levels do you see before and after meals?

If your blood sugar levels are good and well controlled, all I can think of is you are very insulin resistant.
One good way of reducing insulin resistance is exercise, but the best way is to lose weight.

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds absolutely fine. What sort of levels do you see before and after meals?

If your blood sugar levels are good and well controlled, all I can think of is you are very insulin resistant.
One good way of reducing insulin resistance is exercise, but the best way is to lose weight.

Yes, I think a good exercise is what I missing for a while... I used to take a walk a lot so must start doing it again...and its summer time :):) its no excuse not doing it.,..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply and comment, I forgot to mention I am on SR because of this problem before but still bothering me with upset tummy. But its seems settled when I reduce it to 1 tablet 500 mg in Morning and 1 tablet 500 mg in evening compare to double dosage of it.

Have you tried doing 500mg morning, and the full 1000mg does in the evening, or vice versa? It could be worth a try?

What a pain the SR still causes you issues.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I am type 2 with metformin SR also 500 mg 2 x a day (suppose to be 1000 but stomach upset is getting bad so I have to adjust for a while)

Supplement r-ala reduces a third approx from Insulin units needed but I didn't lose weight.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm delighted to see your post.
I'm on 69units of toujeo300 = roughly 83 units of basal.
And 60units of novarapid
And 2000mg metformin.
I'm currently just under 20sts and awaiting bariatric surgery for weight loss and IR loss too.

I'm delighted to know I'm definitely not alone with this severe IR thing. :)
Hello :) :) :)

Ps. I was taking just under 300units of mixed insulin 3 months ago which was 70%/30% mix.

Edited by mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: greybags

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I had bariatric Roux-en-Y bypass a couple of years ago due to worry over insulin intolerance after being on insulin over 40 years and the sheer amount of insulin I was on.Prior to the surgery my BG was well controlled
Post op (I lost around 12st in 6 months which was great) but a nightmare to get my BG back under control due to much higher insulin sensitivity.
Good luck with the op and subsequent control.