Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Avocado Sevenfold

I think the diet is supposed to be long term.

I'm surprised about the results of your juice tests. I replaced my old juicer with a nutribullet in order to keep the fibre: may have been a mistake!
Long term might be a challenge for you, but you are well equipped with your own nutrition expert in the family. I am surprised at my results too. Might be beginner's luck so I will keep an eye on it.

Love your lattice pie. Looks like a snake fight! :D

S

Sable_Jan

Are they proposing you follow the low residue diet temporarily or is it a keeper?

There was an omni lady on the forum yesterday talking about such a diet. I suggested to her to check if veg juices (not smoothies) were an option as the fibre is removed leaving the nutrients. This weekend I have had "mean green juice" for both breakfasts and lunches and I am buzzing with nutrients. It sounds insane to drink fibreless apples and vegetables when I have diabetes, but yesterday I checked my bg hourly and was between 4.4 - 6.4 all day. Maybe check with your daughter to see what she thinks. It might help to enrich your diet if you have to remove most veg and fruit for being high fibre.

For dinner yesterday and today:
Red Thai curry with peppers, green beans, mushrooms and tofu.
When I was in hospital for various ops I noticed that the low residue options in some cases were high fibre BUT blended/pureed so the fibre was there but the size of "bits" would be miniscule.....

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Odin004

I saw my dietitian-daughter yesterday: she doesn't see how a low residue diet is practical for me. We went through my food diary (MyFitnessPal) and just about everything I eat for every meal is high fibre (other than eggs and tofu). It'd be difficult to survive more than a few days on such a diet: (it's often recommended for 3 days pre-surgery and long term for conditions such as Crohn's). I'll wait until I have the follow up with the surgeon as I didn't speak to him: it was was a nurse who discussed the post "op" report with me. I will make more effort to split large meals into two though.

Your suggestion to delay my bolus is valid, but I only have a problem about once or twice a week, so I think this would cause too many spikes for the rest of the time.

Thanks for the Turmeric tea advice: I've just bought some Pukka; I'm guessing it's an acquired taste :-(

Hi @Avocado_Sevenfold

I tried the Golden milk for a month: quite enjoyed it, but it didn't help, or hinder. I was always paranoid about staining everything from worktops, to carpets, to my teeth!

Thanks @Sable_Jan

How frustrating - yes, I think a chat with the surgeon would be in order. A few of my own thoughts:

- Sorry if you've mentioned this in a previous post, but do you inject, or are you on a pump? If you inject, have you thought about a pump? As I understand it, one advantage is the ability to turn off the insulin supply if need be - perhaps useful if you're prone to hypos as a result of the digestion issues?

- Have a look at this - https://draxe.com/digestive-enzymes - this is a great website generally, and there's lots of other great info elsewhere on the site - but perhaps the suggestion re digestive enzymes is something to discuss with doctor/dietician?

- When you have delayed gastric emptying, does this also slow down the absorption of any glucose you take (i.e. Lucozade etc) to treat the hypo?

- Do you notice that some foods are more likely to lead to digestion problems than others?

- Have you thought of adding a couple of plant based protein shakes to your diet - extra calories without too much fat and fibre (depending on the brand) - maybe another issue to discuss with daughter/dietician?

Glad you bought the turmeric tea - I suppose it is an acquired taste, though I quite like it myself!

Reactions: Sable_Jan
A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: golden turmeric milk

L: juice (celery, cucumber, spinach, apple, ginger, lemon, mint)

D: tofu scrambled with sriracha and veg

Snacks: strawberries and watermelon

A

Avocado Sevenfold

When I was in hospital for various ops I noticed that the low residue options in some cases were high fibre BUT blended/pureed so the fibre was there but the size of "bits" would be miniscule.....
I thought that there was soluble and insoluble fibre and that the blended/smoothies retained the insoluble fibre but mushed it up whereas the juicing removed it. I guess they know what they are doing though. Something I do know though is that I have so much energy today, I don't know what to do with myself lol

@Ledzeptt At least your "hipster special" will be safe in the new way of eating (assuming avocados, eggs and toast are still on the menu). Must be a bit overwhelming. I remember being very distressed when I read the low oxalate diet sheet I was given at the kidney clinic last year. The doc eventually said I would be ok if I just drank loads of water, but for a while the future looked quite grim. If there is anything the thread folk here can do to help, just shout.

S

Sable_Jan

I thought that there was soluble and insoluble fibre and that the blended/smoothies retained the insoluble fibre but mushed it up whereas the juicing removed it. I guess they know what they are doing though. Something I do know though is that I have so much energy today, I don't know what to do with myself lol

@Ledzeptt At least your "hipster special" will be safe in the new way of eating (assuming avocados, eggs and toast are still on the menu). Must be a bit overwhelming. I remember being very distressed when I read the low oxalate diet sheet I was given at the kidney clinic last year. The doc eventually said I would be ok if I just drank loads of water, but for a while the future looked quite grim. If there is anything the thread folk here can do to help, just shout.
That's true, there are both types of fibre....
Maybe low residue and low fibre diets are different..... I really don't know. Just remembered the puree stuff being low residue....

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
How frustrating - yes, I think a chat with the surgeon would be in order. A few of my own thoughts:

- Sorry if you've mentioned this in a previous post, but do you inject, or are you on a pump? If you inject, have you thought about a pump? As I understand it, one advantage is the ability to turn off the insulin supply if need be - perhaps useful if you're prone to hypos as a result of the digestion issues?

-> I inject (Levemir and Novorapid). I believe they're quite strict on giving pumps only to T1s, but I can ask.

- Have a look at this - https://draxe.com/digestive-enzymes - this is a great website generally, and there's lots of other great info elsewhere on the site - but perhaps the suggestion re digestive enzymes is something to discuss with doctor/dietician?

-> Thanks, it is a good site, but my pancreas is already dead/dying so I take Creon (synthetic enzymes) anyway.

- When you have delayed gastric emptying, does this also slow down the absorption of any glucose you take (i.e. Lucozade etc) to treat the hypo?

-> Yes, to an extent, that's why I've been given glucogel: if necessary I can rub it into the inside of my cheeks. It hasn't been so bad since using the Libre: I've been able to head off the worst hypos.

- Do you notice that some foods are more likely to lead to digestion problems than others?

-> Again, sometimes. I can't eat kale, asparagus and rocket (or anything spicy). I can understand kale and asparagus because they're both fibrous. However, I've not understood any other patterns, although I wasn't looking for high fibre meals, just specific food items.

- Have you thought of adding a couple of plant based protein shakes to your diet - extra calories without too much fat and fibre (depending on the brand) - maybe another issue to discuss with daughter/dietician?

-> Good idea: I'm prescribed supplements (Fortisip and Scandishake), but I tend to avoid them unless I'm eating very little because they spike my BG so much.

Glad you bought the turmeric tea - I suppose it is an acquired taste, though I quite like it myself!

-> The issue may be that I don't normally drink any form of tea.

Thanks Odin004

!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)

The hipster breakfast may need to be adapted: the diet says to eat white bread only. I suppose trendy sourdough is ok, but not Lidl protein rolls/"Lowlife" as they're full of seeds.

I'm glad you're full of beans :)

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ledzeptt - I use Levemir and Novorapid too - have been thinking about a pump myself; I don't know about the criteria that applies to Type 3cs - but I would have thought that either your pancreas produces insulin or it doesn't - not sure what the difference would be in real terms, so far as pumps are concerned..? Perhaps someone else on here might have a better idea. The Glucogel is definitely a good idea in any case; and with the protein powder, don't forget you can also sprinkle/mix these into food (i.e. soups/casseroles/stews etc), rather than drink it, if preferred. Would be interested to hear how your follow-up with the surgeon goes.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_5048.jpg

Dinner - baby plum tomatoes and fine green beans in balsamic vinegar and olive oil; Quorn chicken pieces in vegetable stock; spinach and feta with black pepper (and a Freddo for "dessert") :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Odin004

Thanks- I've had a quick look: do you tend to use a soya or pea based protein powder? Any preference?

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Odin004

Thanks- I've had a quick look: do you tend to use a soya or pea based protein powder? Any preference?

Here is the protein powder I use - it's called "PhD Protein Superfood" (photo and nutritional info attached) - it's a blend of different plant based foods, mainly rice, pea and hemp, and they come in a few different flavours. I don't use soy protein powder (although I have plenty of zero carb soya milk and tofu); I do occasionally use pure hemp protein powder - but that might be a bit high in fibre for you, at 21g per 100g.

The PhD protein powder (see photo) is only 7.5g fibre per 100g - and only 1.9g fibre per 25g serving - also only 4.9g carb per serving (of which 1g sugars), and 1.4g fat; but at 95 calories per 25g, perhaps 3 servings a day would be a good way for you to add almost 300 calories a day to your intake? You can mix it with water, but I tend to mix with 250ml zero carb soya milk - might be good for you too, as extra protein and calories, but miniscule extra fibre.

I also find it very light on the stomach, and it tastes delicious (but then, I do like the turmeric tea...). I get mine from Holland and Barrett.

111.jpg
222.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @Odin004 I'll give that a try. (Thanks for taking the time to take the photos.)

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday

B: golden milk

L: juice (celery, cucumber, little gem, pear, lime, chocolate mint)

D: courgettes in spicy wine and Oatly fraiche sauce with roast tomatoes and mushrooms

Pud: chocolate peanuts and red wine

Crinkle cutting courgettes gives a bigger surface area to maximise creamy sauce clingage :cat:

spicy_wine.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I spent most of yesterday outside in the (rare) sunshine, so:

L: Small piece of quiche with avocado salad

D: Barbecue (no cows or buns were harmed)

S

Sable_Jan

da94d560c7bb0c30d7b046027a952350.jpg

Came across this the other day as I was browsing my shopping. Not tried it yet but as well as sugar free it's vegan ... I paid 99p each for the last 10 bars. RRP £2.95.... thought it was worth the risk being xylitol . .