Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Avocado Sevenfold - I'm "up and down", with the downs not too bad, but frequent. I'm still waiting to see my consultant- appointment at the end of next month. I saw my GP to get the new meds, but he scared me from taking them (long term side effects)! I'm resisting switching to a low residual diet for now, for practical reasons; depends what the consultant says.

I've tried some of @Odin004's protein powder added to smoothies a couple of times. A good way to increase protein/cake without impacting carb intake. I may have a smoothie tonight instead of a "proper" meal as my stomach's off/sore today.

Glad to hear it @Ledzeptt - what do you think of the taste?

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Odin004

I can't say I noticed the taste of the PhD protein powder: I chose the berry flavour and have only tried it in berry-based smoothies, so difficult to distinguish the protein from the other ingredients (probably a good thing).

I haven't tried it mixed with water.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Yesterday:

B: Egg on toast (trying the new lower carb Hovis - 10g per slice, so nothing special)

L: Berry smoothie (including extra protein and everything except the kitchen sink)

D: Spanish omelette and salad

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Odin004

I can't say I noticed the taste of the PhD protein powder: I chose the berry flavour and have only tried it in berry-based smoothies, so difficult to distinguish the protein from the other ingredients (probably a good thing).

I haven't tried it mixed with water.

Certainly works well with berry smoothies - I find it quite nice just mixed with water also - no bitter aftertaste that some plant based protein powders have.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was at a family pizza do last night so took something I could eat. Made enough so I don't have to cook today.

Roast Med veg with cherries and mint
Artichoke spinach dip
Garlic crostini (Lidl roll)

artichoke_crostini.jpg

S

Sable_Jan

I was at a family pizza do last night so took something I could eat. Made enough so I don't have to cook today.

Roast Med veg with cherries and mint
Artichoke spinach dip
Garlic crostini (Lidl roll)

artichoke_crostini.jpg
It looks nice though I'm not so sure about cherries and mint alongside roasted veg. I tried tinned artichoke hearts once....said to be good for souls or making dips.... bleuurghhh....can't recall having seen fresh ones about....

Reactions: Ledzeptt
A

Avocado Sevenfold

It looks nice though I'm not so sure about cherries and mint alongside roasted veg. I tried tinned artichoke hearts once....said to be good for souls or making dips.... bleuurghhh....can't recall having seen fresh ones about....
The mint and cherries do sound a bit weird lol. The veg was cold if that sounds any less weird and they were added at the end. I got the idea from this recipe that I tried last year http://www.thewholeingredient.com/2016/08/12/aubergine-muhammara-traybake/ Might be a Middle Eastern thing. I've never used fresh artichokes. I've seen them being prepped on telly and it looks like a lot of faff. I'm too lazy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

For Brunch today I had Tesco toast with peanut butter.

This evening I decided to revisit butternut squash! I tested a meal with it over 3 years ago and posted the results here. (No idea why a moderator would have edited the post months later, but never mind that) Back then I ate a meagre 150g of BNS and was up to 8.2 after an hour so was put off.

Tonight I had 300g of BNS and my results were

pre - 5.3
1hr - 6.4
2hr - 5.5

I had forgotten how great it is! I had it roasted without oil in the Actifry with some other veg and herbs, homemade cashew cream, olives and mixed seeds. It is obviously not an exact science, but I think I will start eating BNS again so am a happy bunny.

BNS.jpg

S

Sable_Jan

For Brunch today I had Tesco toast with peanut butter.

This evening I decided to revisit butternut squash! I tested a meal with it over 3 years ago and posted the results here. (No idea why a moderator would have edited the post months later, but never mind that) Back then I ate a meagre 150g of BNS and was up to 8.2 after an hour so was put off.

Tonight I had 300g of BNS and my results were

pre - 5.3
1hr - 6.4
2hr - 5.5

I had forgotten how great it is! I had it roasted without oil in the Actifry with some other veg and herbs, homemade cashew cream, olives and mixed seeds. It is obviously not an exact science, but I think I will start eating BNS again so am a happy bunny.

BNS.jpg
I had some roasted with feta on top one night and yesterday fried it with mushrooms, tomatoes, and made fritatta out of it.... I think it would make nice chips.....though possibly shallow, not deep, fried

Just happy being me

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had some roasted with feta on top one night and yesterday fried it with mushrooms, tomatoes, and made fritatta out of it.... I think it would make nice chips.....though possibly shallow, not deep, fried

Just happy being me
Sounds tasty. I used to make chips from sweet potatoes in the Actify. One day again maybe.

Is that a wee fox or a dog? So cute!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Avocado Sevenfold You'll have to let us know about the Haloumi, particularly if they get the texture right. (My granddaughter can't eat dairy/cheese, so she relies on violife.)
The Violife Halloumi is now available in the UK. I haven't tried it yet as it sold out before I could click the button on the site selling it! There are rumours that Sainsburys may start stocking it this month.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday:

B: Egg on toast (Lidl triangle)

L: Haloumi & roast veg focaccia, to make up for the missing carbs earlier!

D: Parmigiana di melanzane - look away if you're Italian because I used Cheddar rather than the stinky stuff and added the missing cannellini beans; otherwise exactly the same as Gino's

Double-entendre optional...

.... "You 'av to poot it in, wiggle it abowt, then pull it owt afterwarrds" (the dish in the oven, obviously).

S

Sable_Jan

Yesterday:

B: Egg on toast (Lidl triangle)

L: Haloumi & roast veg focaccia, to make up for the missing carbs earlier!

D: Parmigiana di melanzane - look away if you're Italian because I used Cheddar rather than the stinky stuff and added the missing cannellini beans; otherwise exactly the same as Gino's

Double-entendre optional...

.... "You 'av to poot it in, wiggle it abowt, then pull it owt afterwarrds" (the dish in the oven, obviously).

Just happy being me

S

Sable_Jan

Going to try the above tomorrow. Think all my teddy stuff is playing up. Laptop wouldn't respond to mouse and is taking forever to restart. Keyboard on phone wouldn't come up with pic so had to post separately....on a good note fried egg on crumpets for dinner left me high but legal (blood sugar of course .. below 7.8)
Sugarpuffs & cream for brekky similarly.... small baked spuds & broccoli with lots of butter coming up....and as if on cue tummy rumbles

Just happy being me

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Going to try the above tomorrow. Think all my teddy stuff is playing up. Laptop wouldn't respond to mouse and is taking forever to restart. Keyboard on phone wouldn't come up with pic so had to post separately....on a good note fried egg on crumpets for dinner left me high but legal (blood sugar of course .. below 7.8)
Sugarpuffs & cream for brekky similarly.... small baked spuds & broccoli with lots of butter coming up....and as if on cue tummy rumbles

Just happy being me
Windows updates are running today on every machine I have turned on. Hopefully this is all that is slowing down you laptop.

Those BNS crinkle cut chips are a great find!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Violife halloumi update. I got to try some today! Cooked it on a hot griddle pan.

My review: Taste and texture are fantastic, but it is nothing like regular halloumi.

Another review here from my son: "OMG mum, what the hell are you cooking? It smells like feet!"

Hope that helps :cat:

S

Sable_Jan

Violife halloumi update. I got to try some today! Cooked it on a hot griddle pan.

My review: Taste and texture are fantastic, but it is nothing like regular halloumi.

Another review here from my son: "OMG mum, what the hell are you cooking? It smells like feet!"

Hope that helps :cat:
I'm glad you mentioned the fantastic taste BEFORE your son's comment

Just happy being me