Sweet tastes

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid that anything sweet, even without carbs, will be an obstacle in my ketogenic diet. I believe it will increase my appetite for carbs and it will also inhibit my ketoadaptation. What do you think? What can I drink instead of diet coke? Something refreshing but not sweet? And instead of chocolate milk? Or you think that diet coke plays no major role in ketoadaptation?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Instead of chocolate milk you could have Alpro Almond Milk and no added sugar chocolate Crusha - I've not tried the chocolate flavour but the banana one is gorgeous.

I don't think that sweetened drinks have done my ketoadaption any harm but I don't drink many - maybe only a couple each week. I am drinking litres of sparkling mineral water at the moment which is not sweet and very refreshing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found by avoiding carbs and sweet things as much as possible I have re-edcated my palate so no longer crave sweetness. Even milk now tastes sweet to me and I had a mouthful of hubby's ice cream last week and it was far too sweet. I would advise avoiding sweet tasting things for a month at least before trying them again and see what you think. For a fizzy drink i would just have sparkling water.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of chocolate milk you could have Alpro Almond Milk and no added sugar chocolate Crusha - I've not tried the chocolate flavour but the banana one is gorgeous.

I don't think that sweetened drinks have done my ketoadaption any harm but I don't drink many - maybe only a couple each week. I am drinking litres of sparkling mineral water at the moment which is not sweet and very refreshing.

is weight loss inhibited by your sweet milk and sparkling water?

I find that anything sweet or sparkling will make me hungry

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Water with lemon or lime. The power of suggestion ( sweet even if low carb ) is strong

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a chocolate milk/drink ready to drink in UK? Preferably without tons of protein? Or maybe protein would be good for weightloss?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think milk may be the main problem.
It contains lactose which is a sugar.
What does the label say about carbohydrates per 100 ml?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4-5g per 100ml

is there a chocolate drink without milk and sugar?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found if I have anything sweet I crave more and have great difficulty avoiding more carbs. I try to not have any sweet drinks or even 90% chocolate as I could just eat the whole bar!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd definitely suggest the same as @Hotpepper20000, and you could also try Alpro unsweetened almond milk - I sometimes use a mixture of both. You might also try melting a piece or two of dark high % dark chocolate instead of the cocoa - I vaguely remember a thread with a post recommending this when I first joined the forum. And if you must have a sweeter drink - like me - you could try a little erythritol and/or stevia - both "diabetic friendly" and shouldn't impact on glucose levels.

Unless you want to go super strict low carb all this should be OK keto wise - it is for me. :p I've found being able to do this sort of compromise allows me "treats" without ever wanting to go back to any actual carby sugary stuff, which I've very rarely touched or fancied over the last 3 and a half years.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if you want drinks to take out and about, buy some suitable little sports type water bottles (try the Sistema ones on eBay or Amazon for cheapish ones), and make your own. Use the suggestions already given, but drink them cold - just cool and keep in the fridge until you need them. You can also get various unsweetened extracts and essences to flavour water, add a few drops of liquid stevia or a small amount of powdered erythritol, mix and again pop in the fridge. Or squeeze limes (my favourite) or lemons, and do the same. For really cold drinks, make up into ice cubes and add to bottles as required.

Robbity

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I confirmed that anything sweet fuels my food cravings.

I ate meat with mayo and salad and then I ate a non sugar Atkins sweet.

Now after half an hour I am hungry!

Is there a solution?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I confirmed that anything sweet fuels my food cravings.

I ate meat with mayo and salad and then I ate a non sugar Atkins sweet.

Now after half an hour I am hungry!

Is there a solution?
Don't eat the sweets?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
T
Easy to say!
thats why it is said carbs and sweets promote carbs and sweets cravings.

After awhile the sweet tooth goes away. I prefer salty and fatty to sweets and carbs. It didn't happen overnight though. And I LOATHE being hungry. It's such a battle

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's almost a month of reasonably strict low carb, yet I haven't experienced any reduction in cravings.

Maybe I should cut out fizzy drinks as well. But that would be too restrictive.

Do I have to cut the 3% carb squirty cream also? It's ridiculous.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's almost a month of reasonably strict low carb, yet I haven't experienced any reduction in cravings.

Maybe I should cut out fizzy drinks as well. But that would be too restrictive.

Do I have to cut the 3% carb squirty cream also? It's ridiculous.
By fizzy drinks so you mean diet drinks with artificial sweeteners ?

My motto is if I want something to change , I have to change something.