Mcvities digestive thins dark chocolate
Carbs 3.8g sugar 1.7g per biscuit

Mcvities digestive thins milk chocolate
Carbs 4g sugar 1.9g per biscuit

Thanks Tony

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I tend to use cauliflower rice with a curry, or make a hearty side dish of saag planner, or mushroom or cauliflower bhaji.

The best thing to do is test before eating and 2 hours after first bite and see if these things spike his bg levels.

I stopped eating biscuits a long time ago, as 1 is never enough.

Well done on trying to help and support your dad, I have been trying with my mother in law to help father in law, who I think enjoys the drama he creates of being diabetic, and c/o feeling unwell whilst tucking into a huge slice of cake.

Jo x

Reactions: Prem51

Shinymoon

Thanks

Never heard of cauliflower rice before

Thanks for the link will give this a try for my dad

Jo
I had to laugh at your comment my dad is just the same
My brother and I have adopted the roles of dietitians ,meal planers and mum does the cooking
Can't say I'm popular with the meal planning ,I do get moan at and asked to add a home made steak pie and custard with cake and ice cream
But I keep him on the right path

Thanks Tony

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Blitz cauli, put on roasting tray with some herbs. I use barts meditereanean dried herbs. Sprinkle over a fair qty of olive oil and roast. I think we do ours about 170, 20 mins, turning once.

It is absolutely delicious...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cauli rice is really quick. Split cauli into florets. No need for neatness, but large floerts can be torn onto two. Blitz in food processor.

Transfer the cauli rice to a hot wok, with whatever spices you choose and cook, constantly turning until hot, but not gone to mush (3 or 4 minutes). Serve.

I use this technique for rice with curry (with Pilau seasoning), Faux Paella, Faux Kedgeree. you get the drift.

In a decent wok (we have hard anodised or ceramic to choose from) you don't even have to add oil, if you don't want it.

B

badcat

My advice is to avoid low-carb ultra-processed "food" as much as possible.

Im with you on the crackers and biscuits but the "rice" is made from konjac flour, tapioca starch and water. Konjac flour is made from the root of the Konjac plant and Konjac noodles / rice are a staple in countries across Asia including Japan and China due to the high regard in which Konjac is held by Asian medicine[
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20079822

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Konjac flour is made from the root of the Konjac plant and Konjac noodles / rice are a staple in countries across Asia including Japan and China due to the high regard in which Konjac is held by Asian medicine
Sounds awful.

Moiraf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having Type 2, having seasonal Hayfever, idiots who think they know all about Diabetes after reading a Daily Mail article.
My Californian daughter in law recently advised me to watch a movie on Netflix called 'What the Health!' Its about the lies the food industry tells, how the big food companies are all funded by huge pharmaceutical companies, and how a vegan lifestyle can cure all sorts of conditions, including T2. Its very interesting, if challenging. Especially challenging if, like me, you live with, and cook for, a dedicated carnivore who loves chocolate, beer and sausages from the local butcher! I gave up eating meat a long time ago, and progressed onto not eating processed foods if I can help it, but this movie has inspired me to try going a little bit further. I sense the start of a journey.......

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks
I think I will give the low carb rice a miss

Thank you for the cooking method on cauliflower I will give this a try

Tony
I don't know what the konjac rice is like but I have had the konjac noodles, which are pretty tasteless.
Making the cauli rice is easy, if you have a food processor.
You can also buy ready prepared cauli rice in most big supermarkets now.
And there are pouches of CauliRice available from Waitrose and Tesco which keep longer. They come in different flavours, I find the Indian Pilau is ok, but you need to dry fry it, or fry it in a little coconut oil to dry it out.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My Californian daughter in law recently advised me to watch a movie on Netflix called 'What the Health!' Its about the lies the food industry tells, how the big food companies are all funded by huge pharmaceutical companies, and how a vegan lifestyle can cure all sorts of conditions, including T2. Its very interesting, if challenging. Especially challenging if, like me, you live with, and cook for, a dedicated carnivore who loves chocolate, beer and sausages from the local butcher! I gave up eating meat a long time ago, and progressed onto not eating processed foods if I can help it, but this movie has inspired me to try going a little bit further. I sense the start of a journey.......
I found eating lots of meat, but no processed food or starchy veg reversed my type 2 diabetes and improved my health overall. It was not challenging at all. Quite the opposite. I doubt eating something (e.g. meat) that has been part of the human diet since before we were Homo Sapiens is detrimental to our health. For sure giving up processed food will improve anyone's health whether they also give up meat or not.

Reactions: marathonmona

Moiraf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having Type 2, having seasonal Hayfever, idiots who think they know all about Diabetes after reading a Daily Mail article.
I found eating lots of meat, but no processed food or starchy veg reversed my type 2 diabetes and improved my health overall. It was not challenging at all. Quite the opposite. I doubt eating something (e.g. meat) that has been part of the human diet since before we were Homo Sapiens is detrimental to our health. For sure giving up processed food will improve anyone's health whether they also give up meat or not.
I didn't give up meat for Diabetes, I gave it up over 30 years ago because I wanted to, I was only diagnosed 3 or 4 years ago. I still eat everything else though, although a lot more thoughtfully now.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I didn't give up meat for Diabetes, I gave it up over 30 years ago because I wanted to, I was only diagnosed 3 or 4 years ago. I still eat everything else though, although a lot more thoughtfully now.
I was responding to "a vegan lifestyle can cure all sorts of conditions, including T2". So can an all meat diet.

So you still got type 2 diabetes on a vegan diet?

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello usmaan, have at look at diet doctor website for pizza ideas, I made the one with the cauliflower base, and even husband and son liked it and had seconds. X

Reactions: Usmaan935

Usmaan935

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello usmaan, have at look at diet doctor website for pizza ideas, I made the one with the cauliflower base, and even husband and son liked it and had seconds. X
thank you i will check this out

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried cauliflower rice for the first time last week in a stir fry and it was lush. Just getting a low-fat recipe for tikka masala sauce to be able to freeze as well and should be sorted!