Metformin substitute

Shoelace1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
About 2 years ago i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.The doctor sent me away with a prescription for Metformin tablets.I went to Boots the chemist.The chemist told me i would have a bad stomach for about 2 week after taking them,then i would be ok.I thought well i feel fine nowWhy should i take these only to feel ill,so i never took them.In the meantime,i went to stay with my girlfriend in the Philippines for a few months.After a few week i srarted to suffer with sharp stabbing pains and hotaches in my legs below the knees due to high BG.So i went to the local pharmacy to buy some Metformin tablets.You can buy most meds over there without prescription The information leaflet with the Metformin had a list of possible side effects as long as your arm,some quite serious.At the end of the leaflet it said,this medicine will not prevent complications.I thought i would try them anyway.after 2 or 3 weeks taking them.I found i could not sit down comfortable my backside muscles ached that much.Then the right hand side of my right leg went weak.I found i could not use my right leg to climb the slightest step.then i started to get a severe pain in the right hand side of my back.i began to wonder if it was the Metformin was causing it.i stopped taking the tablets.Within 24 hours the pain had gone.i still had a weak right leg.
Then my right knee started collapsing without warning.Thank goodness it has now cleared up,very unerving.Yes they can stuff the Metformin.

Thank you for posting this - Iam currently in the exact same position with problems with muscles in my legs. Nurse & Dr saying it's nothing to do with Metformin! Especially having probs with backside muscles.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Luf I had a miserable time of it on metformin. Even 500mg a day gave me such an upset stomach. Doctor took me off it and put me on canagliflozin and eventually added in Glicazide. Was a bit worried about putting on weight, but so far so good. There are alternatives, trust me, I have been there. I had a mental map of everywhere I went and where the loos were located. I also carried a ton of Loperamide around with me. Been off it about 9 months and haven't looked back. Blood glucose is getting better too.

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all
Does anybody know of a metformin substitute that does not have the same side effects. I have tried Glucophase and Sukkarto slow release but both have given me upset stomach which is not good when you drive for a living
DN insists that I take them but need alternative.
Thanks

I was put on Metformin SR as I have IBS, however it really didn't agree with me and made the IBS worse. I follow a LCHF diet but just need something to keep a top of my levels. My Dr has put me on 2.5mg of Saxagliptin which seems to have a much kinder affect on my tum!
Definitely worth chatting to your GP about.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi look up David Mendosa , [great writer on diabetes, sadly recently deceased but lives on in the web... METFORMIN FOR EVER....] He explains that to start METFORMIN with less tummy and side effects, do it slowly. ie. take only about a quarter of the advised dose for a week then a bit more the next few days etc. look him up.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Does anybody know of a metformin substitute that does not have the same side effects. I have tried Glucophase and Sukkarto slow release but both have given me upset stomach which is not good when you drive for a living
Thanks
This supplement seems to offer a similar profile to Metformin. I have no experience of it, and it is single sourced from only one company as far as I can see. It is also expensive, and it seems one needs about 1 gram per dose( (1000mg)

Have not seen any studies on side effects or safety, so take care.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566447/
I am not endorsing this product, but they seem to have been marketing it for over 1 year now.

Lil'Edgy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps speak to your doctor if the nurse is adamant, - my time taking Metformin was dreadful, and when I stopped them there wasn't a bit of difference to my situation other than I could have a normal life, which Metformin was preventing. I could not go out for a walk or any type of exercise, could not get a good night's sleep, could not eat properly and was totally isolated in my own home, all negatives in the treatment of someone with a chronic illness.

I read that Berberine is as effective as Metformin. I have no problems whatsoever with Metformin but if I had to choose, I'd go with Berberine in pill or capsule form. I have tried Berberine powder because it's cheaper but it tastes like poison and the poison taste lingers for a long time. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that Berberine is as effective as Metformin. I have no problems whatsoever with Metformin but if I had to choose, I'd go with Berberine in pill or capsule form. I have tried Berberine powder because it's cheaper but it tastes like poison and the poison taste lingers for a long time. Good luck.
Avoiding medication helps me to stick to the low carb diet and I have normal Hba1c now - so I hope that just the thought of Metformin will enable me to deny all temptation.

P

pollensa

Evening all
Thanks

yes Natural product Berberine,and Grapefruit research in California has proved it does more or less the same as Metformin, by he way did you know Metformin initially was for Malaria...

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin always gave me diarrhoea, so a friend of mine told me about baking soda, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. After taking metformin i would wait for 30min then put 1 tsp avc plus 1tsp lemon and a pinch of baking soda in a glass of warm water and drink..
Please look it up, it used to help me a lot

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin only reduces blood sugars slightly. A low carb diet is much more effective. Having reduced my HbA1C from 99 to 44 by eating low carb, I have now stopped taking Metformin.
I have done the same by eating low carb, now down to 37 :)

Reactions: Emsey

Emsey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I switched from metformin to metformin time release and felt less discomfort. You already mentioned time release but it wasn't clear if you had tried metformin time release.
I have, but I eventually end up with gastric, I'm looking for an alternative!

Emsey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for posting this - Iam currently in the exact same position with problems with muscles in my legs. Nurse & Dr saying it's nothing to do with Metformin! Especially having probs with backside muscles.
Hmm! I wonder if that is what is causing the pain I suffer? I don't do much exercise due to the pain in my legs & then I put on more weight! I wonder if a compound chemist could provide an alternative medication?

M

Moggely

I had pain in hips and knee's and just so incredibly tired all the time and also thinning of hair was unreal, confusion as well, all of which the doctor said,wasn't due to Metformin. The hair loss could have been thyroid as i had issues with it then as well. However i lasted 5 weeks then ditched them. Low carb diet got mine to normal level so far and may it continue.

Reactions: Emsey

Emsey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had pain in hips and knee's and just so incredibly tired all the time and also thinning of hair was unreal, confusion as well, all of which the doctor said,wasn't due to Metformin. The hair loss could have been thyroid as i had issues with it then as well. However i lasted 5 weeks then ditched them. Low carb diet got mine to normal level so far and may it continue.
Maybe that's why I'm so tired as well! I do hope yours continues to improve

M

Moggely

@Emsey Have you ever tried a little apple cider vinegar, say a tablespoon in a glass of water. I started that when i was first diagnosed and i really think it helped. I stopped it about 3 weeks ago and noticed a small rise in levels so restarted it again today. I have it before breakfast and Dinner at night. I think it's worth a try but what works for some may not for others. Love to hear how you get on though.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too, but the Dr won't listen, I think I'll have to change Drs!
Doctors in UK have to follow the NICE guidelines, or lose their job. These guidelines have a strict order in which medication can be used and treatments to follow, and are very prescriptive. Changing doctors may not have the benefit you seek,

I do not believe there is a suitable alternative to Metformin and it is considered to be the safest drug to prescribe to diabetics and PCOS sufferers. You have the right to refuse to take it, but if you do you should inform the doctor since other medications may need to change to compensate. Usually if you request it because of side effects and have tried the slow release variant without success, then most doctors will stop giving it.

However, the alternative drugs they will want to use instead have less safe side effects, and may lead to long term issues. This forum has discussions on it about some of the other benefits that Metformin offers in terms of stabilizing bgl and reducing risk of a CVE. It is not a wonder drug, and does have gastric issues and many here do stop taking it. There are diet alternatives you can use instead to reduce bgl and cardiac risk.