Type 2 Stop taking metformim

Yetiandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to change my Metformin to MR or slow release, things are better, not perfect but better, I only need the toilet 3 times a day now!

altyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends
I feel metformim is messing up my life so I have stopped taking it from today
I now have blood/glucose meter so wii be monitoring
I am a bit scared but will take the pills again if readings get too high
Has anyone else taken this path ? X

I also feel that metformin is not very kind. i cannot tolerate more than 3 tabs per day and every so often get a rash. I would like to stop but a bit afraid. Im 69 years of age and have been on metformin for 13 years. Is it too late to stop. My last appt in march with DN gave a reading of 50, which had gone up from previous appt in october of 45, I do know the reason for this!!

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Im 69 years of age and have been on metformin for 13 years. Is it too late to stop.
What makes you think that? You have many years ahead of you, make them happy, healthy ones. It's your diet and a bit of appropriate activity (I won't say "exercise", far too much like hard work!) that will make all the difference. By "diet" I mean keeping right off all sugar and keeping your carbs low - lots of information on this site, if the idea is new to you.
Sally

altyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on metformin for over 10 years and have often wondered about the effectiveness of it. Having just been to the loo for the fourth time today, I would love to stop takinv it but, too scared as to whay might happen. Im 70 years of age and wish I had the courage of a 40 year old.

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends
Interesting reading this, I often feel sick. Been on metformin for about 2 years now. Do others think it's useless?????

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been in metformin for about 2 years now, do others think it's useless? Very interesting reading your comments. I often feel sick..don't know why. I'm vegetarian watch what I eat ,don't drink anymore as last time I drank 2 glasses of wine with a meal...I was very unwell. Try having hypo on the plane...it's horrible..I had to have 2 oxygen tanks! I do get fed up with not having my diabetes right.any comments? Xx

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on metformin for over 10 years and have often wondered about the effectiveness of it. Having just been to the loo for the fourth time today, I would love to stop takinv it but, too scared as to whay might happen. Im 70 years of age and wish I had the courage of a 40 year old.

Hi
I know how you feel I'm a bit scared too I've been on them for 2 years Im 67
I was ok and just put up with all the loo visits but never felt like the old me and didn't want the rest of my life to be like that so I've taken the plunge and it's nearly a week and eating no carb/low carb and regular bg checking
If bg gets too high I will return to the dreaded mformim but at the moment there has been NO change to my readings
I wouldn't advocate anyone doing what I am doing without consulting their doctor or dn

Reactions: sally and james

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Three cheers for @barriebanana
If there is one thing that T2 diabetes is not, it is not a shortage of Metformin in the body. I don't think I recall anyone whose blood sugars have gone up because they stopped taking it and very many whose lives have improved considerably. If you stop, you can always re-start, so if you think it is lowering your quality of life, the decision is in your hands.
Sally

Reactions: barriebanana

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on metformin for18 months not had a single problem. I have learnt though that I have to take it sandwiched between food i.e. Mouthful, tablet, mouthful. If I don't I get nauseas. Also I have to have a carb with each tablet. Just fruit also makes me nauseas. All that sorted and no problems.

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Three cheers for @barriebanana
If there is one thing that T2 diabetes is not, it is not a shortage of Metformin in the body. I don't think I recall anyone whose blood sugars have gone up because they stopped taking it and very many whose lives have improved considerably. If you stop, you can always re-start, so if you think it is lowering your quality of life, the decision is in your hands.
Sally

Thanks Sally
Bit worried about my next Drs or DN appointment though
Although it is my body after all

European Bob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am interested in this non taking of metformin I have been using them for over 10years and have recently been told by go to use Alogliptin one a day my big is stable but still feel the need for constant trips to the toilet to pass water especially after taking the metformin . Is this what most of you mean about toilet trips

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in this non taking of metformin I have been using them for over 10years and have recently been told by go to use Alogliptin one a day my big is stable but still feel the need for constant trips to the toilet to pass water especially after taking the metformin . Is this what most of you mean about toilet trips
Mine was a lot worse than needing to pee...

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I know how you feel I'm a bit scared too I've been on them for 2 years Im 67
I was ok and just put up with all the loo visits but never felt like the old me and didn't want the rest of my life to be like that so I've taken the plunge and it's nearly a week and eating no carb/low carb and regular bg checking
If bg gets too high I will return to the dreaded mformim but at the moment there has been NO change to my readings
I wouldn't advocate anyone doing what I am doing without consulting their doctor or dn

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi what did your doctor say about not taking metformin anymore? I'm 65 yes I just want to feel ok..to not and not feel worried about being unwell. It's so worrying at timnes. I have a diabetic review with GP next week ..see how that pans out. Previous reviews been waste of time!!!

European Bob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was a lot worse than needing to pee...

Ahh I see I have never suffered with other toilet problems well not on the metformin anyway , had plenty of problems when docs put me on appetite suppressants but not with metformin I just feel tired all the time and struggle to loose weight I also hate taking so many tablets for BP and Col, diabetes . Even finding it hard to get motivated to ride my mountain bike which I love to do

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi what did your doctor say about not taking metformin anymore? I'm 65 yes I just want to feel ok..to not and not feel worried about being unwell. It's so worrying at timnes. I have a diabetic review with GP next week ..see how that pans out. Previous reviews been waste of time!!!

Hi Framps7
I didn't ask my doctor I just did it !
I hope your review is good
I find I'm getting more help here than through doctors
Take care
Barriebanana