1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Stop taking metformim

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by barriebanana, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Maxine3624

Maxine3624 Type 2 · Member

I asked my doctor if when can I come off Metformin (down to 2 a day now). Doctor said Id be on them for life. Am now following LCHF diet and feel much better. Dont seem to have such severe dips in BG. Please let me know how you get on. I have heard others say they dont feel so tired once off Metformin

2. Nuin Salleh

Nuin Salleh Type 2 · Newbie

I had stop my medication of Metformin after knowing that it has side effect in the long run. Now I just diet and exercise to control BG.

I leave in South east Asia and our main food is Rice but my BG stood at 6.0 without medication. Every meal I take Vinegar, Raw garlic, bitter melon and ginger. It help me too much to lower my BG without medication.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The doctor called me to the surgery today and tried to persuade me to resume taking the tablets, so I explained that life was not worth living in the state I was at Christmas, and she has agreed to my continuing to do without, even though my LDL cholesterol has increased.
    Not a word about my normal levels, no comment on my triglyceride levels going down 25% in the last 3 months - it is as though only a medicated solution is acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. altyanne

altyanne Type 2 · Member

After reading all the comments about taking/not taking metformin, I have decided to take the plunge and stop taking it - starting with stopping for say 3 months and see how I go. Firstly though I need to buy a meter (don't test at all, which my DN is ok with). Any suggestions as to the best meter to buy anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  5. barriebanana

barriebanana Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck altyanne I've just completed my first week my bg was 6 on waking and 5.8 3 hrs after breakfast today I've got an accuchek performa nano and now just got the software to send results to my computer which makes it interesting
    It's good to monitor you feel more in controll
    Only if you change your diet accordingly though
    May be worth speaking to your D nurse tell her you want to try controlling by diet alone and need a meter my drs receptionist told me some people have been provided with test strips on prescription like this but they had to use the meter they were told to
    Hope this helps
    Let us all know your progress
    barriebanana

6. Resurgam

Having the meter to check that all is well might be a good idea if you are at all doubtful about what you are doing.
    It will also indicate any foods which you react to - I can't eat porridge but it scarcely spikes many, lentils are another food which varies in effects on different people.
    If you are to buy your own meter and strips there are some options which are far cheaper than others so it is better to check on the cost of the strips before deciding on a meter to use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. barriebanana

Today (day 8) of not taking metformin I felt very strange checked bg-ok checked bp-ok
    Took 1 metformin tab
    Need advise please go back to regular dose of persevere
    Ps I am still sticking to low or no carbs
    Barriebanana

8. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Other · Well-Known Member

@barriebanana it is against forum rules to advise you on medication issues. Please speak to your medical team if you feel unwell.

9. Em180578

Em180578 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi there you can get a free meter from diabetes UK if you register and they ask you how many times you test and I got a "contour next one " it all so has an app that goes with it on ya phone it sends results to the phone which stores it and it also has a red amber green light to indecate how you are doing. I think it a good meter and fully recamend it.

10. Resurgam

You really should contact your doctor or get advice if you go on feeling odd - other than the side effects starting to fade I had no change in how I felt after stopping the tablets.

11. Framps7

Framps7 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I agree Drs review....is a total waste of time!

12. barriebanana

Went to doctor yesterday told him concerned at having bloating ,wind and constant visits to toilet and suspect metformin asked for an alternative
    He said need to be sure stop taking for 2 weeks to be sure So doing this now
    Will let you know outcome and verdict

13. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You could try the slow release version perhaps.

14. barriebanana

Thanks Tbh that’s what I was hoping for but I have to do 2 weeks cold turkey first

15. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't know why doctor didn't suggest it.

16. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Really? What about its reputation as an anti aging drug?

17. red1mot

red1mot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Was the doctor ok with you taking alpha lipid I take insulin and sotaglipin just bought some label says don't mix with other LEDs

18. barriebanana

Been to see Dr again after 3 weeks of no metformin
    He’s now put me on slow release metformin and sent me for an internal camera probe in case of any more serious issues

19. Jaz006

Jaz006 · Well-Known Member

Wow this is a good thread. Thanks guys for sharing. You guys are more helpful then any book out there. Excellent peer support. When I was diagnosed last month at 7.6... I think it was my Gp was so quick to mention meds which I declined. I am so glad I did. It's a shame Gp's jump to medication straight away. I feel disappointed that diet and exercise was not considered as an option. Instead I was given an out of date computer print out and was told I would be hearing from numerous professionals about attending health appointments. I feel my Gp let me down on a Friday night at 5pm.

Anyway thank you for the advise on the medication because she told me she will speak to me again about it in 3 months once I've been re-tested. But I could tell from her voice her plan for me is medication.

20. Resurgam

When I was retested - at 80 days exactly, I was no longer diabetic - my HCPs have been sulking ever since - and then I was in the normal range at 6 months - they have not even wanted to talk to me since then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook