1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Stop taking metformim

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by barriebanana, Jul 14, 2017.

1. barriebanana

barriebanana Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello friends
    I feel metformim is messing up my life so I have stopped taking it from today
    I now have blood/glucose meter so wii be monitoring
    I am a bit scared but will take the pills again if readings get too high
    Has anyone else taken this path ? X

• Like Like x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Yes - I took Metformin and Atorvastatin for a few weeks, but life was not worth living. I stopped taking it just before last Christmas.
    Why do you think that your BG readings will go high? Metformin isn't a glucose lowering drug.
    My readings were not affected by stopping taking the pills, but I have stuck to low carb eating just by telling my self that if I didn't succeed the doctor would insist on my taking them again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yep I stopped taking it after three weeks of being tied to the toilet.
    Cut almost all carbs out of my diet and have never looked back. Lost a shedload of weight and now have "normal" non diabetic HbA1c.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hippocampus

hippocampus Type 2 · Newbie

Interested to know why you don't think metformin is a glucose lowering drug, because I was led to believe it was. My BG is lower since taking it but then I also eat less carbs and exercise more

5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

So metformin does not lower bg or lowers it by a negligible level. So what is its purpose?
    I have been of four of the beggars a day since diagnosis and while I have none of the tummy/toilet problems I'd rather not take them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Resurgam

The way Metformin acts is not understood - (really reassuring that is !!) but it reduces the ability of the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream.
    It doesn't remove glucose from the blood but would be effective in lessening the dawn phenomenon.
    I would add that by making those susceptible to it feel really dismal it means we don't feed ourselves properly and so we lose weight lack nourishment and have our hair fall out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I stuck it out for 11 weeks. I was told it would benefit me . All it did was make me feel constantly sick with a permanent headache and panicky sprints to the loo.
    I threw them in the bin and am doing very well on the LCHF lifestyle.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thanks @Resurgam
    Is it true that metformin also acts as an appetite suppresent? If so, it's having the opposite effect on me although that could be down to feeling so much better on the LCHF diet because previously my appetite was quite poor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigjim19

bigjim19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i stopped it in april this year bg only went up by0.3 but i did have a bad month in may when it seemed
    a bit out of control but i got it back on track in june had was happy with my hba1c in july 5.9 still to see the doctor
    but i will not be going back on the metformin , so good luck you can control it with diet and exersise

• Like Like x 1
  10. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have reduced by blood sugars through a LCHF diet, so no longer need Metformin. I take Alpha Lipoic Acid which reduces blood sugars by about 0.5 mmol/l. Metformin can give rise to lower vitamin B12 levels in about 22% of type 2 patients. This can lead to symptoms of neuropathy and Alzheimer's.

A recent study over 12 years showed that you are 50% more likely to get dementia if taking Metformin.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Art Of Flowers, Jul 15, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. grante

grante Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed my hba1c was at 102 or 11%. 2 month later I am at 59 or 7.5%.
    I discussed with my diabete nurse that I was going to stop my Metformin against her recommendations. I stopped 9 days ago and have seen a decrease on my daily tests. I am expecting my November hba1c test to start with a 4.
    I had no side effects whilst on metformin.
    If metformin blocks the liver from dumping glucose then how can the body do it's natural process ?
    My little experiment of stopping metformin appears to be working for me.
    I would rather treat with diet than get reliant on a drug.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #11 grante, Jul 15, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  12. hca

hca Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello

Metformin made me very miserable, stomach upsets etc, was told it was an appetite suppress the. Took myself of metformin much to my dn horror went Lchf and never looked back, will not go back on metformin. That said some people swear by it and each to there own.

@barriebanana have you looked at changing your diet, please let us know especially if you have any questions, the people here are very friendly and have a wealth of experience. X

• Like Like x 2
  13. barriebanana

Thank you everyone for your responses
    I am 8.2 this morning at 0700 not as low as I hoped
    Ate low carb yesterday
    I am going to go low carb as much as possible
    Would appreciate some breakfast ideas from you lovely folks

14. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Eggs, bacon, good quality sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, ham, salami, cheese, coffee and cream, full fat yoghurt, smoked salmon, sardines, crustless quiche, avocado, spinach, lettuce, berries - but NEVER all on the same plate!
    Sally

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. hca

hca Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello again

Have a look at diet doctor website for lots of low carb ideas including breakfast.

I tend to skip breakfast and have a coffee with cream instead, you could have for breakfast:
    Bacon and eggs
    Greek yoghurt ( my favourite breakfast if eating) with a few berries
    Kippers
    Diet doctor have a great recipe for breakfast muffins which can be frozen so you can make quite a few, I like them for lunch.
    Omelettes
    Scrambled eggs

Your fasting reading in a morning is usually the last bg to change, it takes time but you will get there. Are testing before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite.

Stick with it, it's so worth it, I am fitter and healthier than ever, bg levels in non diabetic range, blood pressure and cholesterol down, weight dropping. X

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. barriebanana

Thanks Sally and James some great breakfast suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  17. Resurgam

The low carb way of eating is effective and does give results quite quickly - but you might just be being a bit over optimistic - maybe try it for a week and then see. There is quite a lot which happens when you eat low carb foods and check to see how meals or foods affect you.
    First you are finding out what not to eat - I found that all the types of food which stopped or slowed weightloss back in the pre diagnosis days were exactly the ones to hike up my BG readings, and if I did eat them, my progress towards normal readings was set back.
    Secondly the store of glycogen in the liver needs to be depleted ( something you will feel a lot better without) though it might give you a few wobbly sensations, as your metabolism is re routing itself at the same time, waking up systems which have been blocked off for quite a while. Going for walks seems to be helpful, more severe exercise might lead to a need for more energy than is available.
    Thirdly your poor hysterical pancreas which has been over producing insulin but being ignored needs to be allowed to calm down and feel better.
    Only then would you feel a change in your general wellbeing, and normal energy should be restored, but you do need to stay with the program.

• Like Like x 4
  18. barriebanana

Thanks Resurgam really appreciate

19. barriebanana

This site is amazing
    Thank you all so much for your help and comments

20. barriebanana

4th day of no metformin and no/low carb diet
    BG is lower and bp is lower
    Feeling great

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook