Newly diagnosed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago with an HbA1c of 70, I got oodles of help from this forum, everyone is so friendly and eager to assist. I started a low carb diet, less than 100g a day immediately, but more recently I've reduced to 50 - 70g a day. I bought an SD Code Free meter and frequently check my levels. My HbA1c was down to 45 last week :) I rarely feel hungry and have lost a chunk of weight. I too have high BP, but those readings are coming down too. My cholesterol levels are borderline but I believe they take longer to improve, I have resisted Statins so far. Eating out has not been a problem so far in restaurants, we eat out at least once a week, I pick meals such as gammon and eggs, steak and (chips) and substitute salad for the chips. I've even considered ordering a burger with multiple added low carb fillings such as cheese, salad and bacon, and then leaving the bun! I haven't worked out if Chinese or Indian restaurants are doable yet though! I'm sure you'll find ways to deal with this even on your travels. It is a steep learning curve though, be warned!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi, I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago with an HbA1c of 70, I got oodles of help from this forum, everyone is so friendly and eager to assist. I started a low carb diet, less than 100g a day immediately, but more recently I've reduced to 50 - 70g a day. I bought an SD Code Free meter and frequently check my levels. My HbA1c was down to 45 last week :) I rarely feel hungry and have lost a chunk of weight. I too have high BP, but those readings are coming down too. My cholesterol levels are borderline but I believe they take longer to improve, I have resisted Statins so far. Eating out has not been a problem so far in restaurants, we eat out at least once a week, I pick meals such as gammon and eggs, steak and (chips) and substitute salad for the chips. I've even considered ordering a burger with multiple added low carb fillings such as cheese, salad and bacon, and then leaving the bun! I haven't worked out if Chinese or Indian restaurants are doable yet though! I'm sure you'll find ways to deal with this even on your travels. It is a steep learning curve though, be warned!
It takes time, but all is possible. Even after twelve years I get surprises. Substitution is the key word here.

Reactions: Rachox and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It takes time, but all is possible. Even after twelve years I get surprises. Substitution is the key word here.
I agree! Cauliflower rice in place of rice, spiralized veggies in place of pasta, nuts or pork scratchings in place of crisps, almond milk in place of cows milk the list goes on …… there's so much good stuff we can eat :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@RFSMarch

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful to you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again - yeppers I ordered the full starter kit, and I was told when I got my metformin that because I am now a diagnosed diabetic I am exempt from all prescription charges (!) for ever apparently! I can't believe that's true and when I trot back to the surgery to get enough for the US (and yes, for that trip I will be taking my 'body-bag' suitcase so by all means jump in!) I will ask for what I need to get the full exemption.

And yes please to the information about the strips if it looks as though I need both.

I feel a little relieved that while it is abnormally high, it is not the worst you have seen!
Like I said, this is pretty much my first time with a stocked fridge since... wait for it... April. I had a few days in between trips so I basically noshed takeaways or whatever was in the freezer.

I guess what I am struggling with is what works with T2, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. What overwhelms me is what's good for one is bad for the other and you just feel, well what the hell CAN I eat.
Hi and welcome :D
These are my results in just 3 months, got them today and to say im chuffed is an understatement , so can be done :D
Serum Cholesterol 4.9 3 months ago was 5.9
Serum Trigs 1.1 3 months ago was 1.6
Serum HDL 1.5 3 months ago was 1.5

Blod pressure was 126/76 this is the best it has been for yrs but i do take medication but have for a couple of yrs, but i have also lost 3 stones in 17 weeks

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @azure - I actually have invested in the free-style libre monitor which ought to be winging its way to me - hmm can't wait to see how that works going through an airport screening device!

Yeah MFP counts everything so just having to adjust - although if it stops a well meaning pal harping on about the 5:2 diet, then I will be eternally thankful!
I have had no problem with airport scanners @RFSMarch

Reactions: RFSMarch

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone.
So... my Freestyle Libre is on its way (could that website be any worse designed?!)
I have all the info about meters and strips which (after rehab stretches for my no-cartilage knees and a cardio boxing workout,I will get into ordering)
At the moment while I am at home, I can control what I eat and as luck would have it I have tons of chicken and fish in the freezer, plus veggies to soup up for lunch.

When I am away towards the middle of August - my plan is to stick to a couple of the concessions at the Cincy tournaments that do sushi and stews. No Graeters ice-cream for me... and luckily I have to stay at a hotel as the tournament is in the middle of nowhere, so gym at hotel.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone.
So... my Freestyle Libre is on its way (could that website be any worse designed?!)
I have all the info about meters and strips which (after rehab stretches for my no-cartilage knees and a cardio boxing workout,I will get into ordering)
At the moment while I am at home, I can control what I eat and as luck would have it I have tons of chicken and fish in the freezer, plus veggies to soup up for lunch.

When I am away towards the middle of August - my plan is to stick to a couple of the concessions at the Cincy tournaments that do sushi and stews. No Graeters ice-cream for me... and luckily I have to stay at a hotel as the tournament is in the middle of nowhere, so gym at hotel.
Watch for the rice content of sushi! :wideyed:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

One tip we have all found useful with the Libre is to attach it but refrain from activating it for 36 to 48 hours. This gives your body chance to recover from having a foreign body in your arm. They can be temperamental for the first day or so and have strange readings, but this delay seems to help. You also have to remember that the Libre is reading interstitial fluid, not blood. This fluid carries glucose just as our blood does, but it is about 15 minutes or so behind the blood. If you do some comparison checks with a blood glucose meter you need to finger prick first, then wait 10 to 15 minutes before scanning. (Our bodies all seem to vary in this time lapse thing.) Don't forget to tell the monitor when you are about to eat, when you get out of bed, and when you go to bed. Otherwise the graphs (you need to download the software) won't make as much sense. The eating time is important as the graph will show the actual peak in mmol/ls.

Eating in hotels isn't always easy, but it can be done. Breakfasts you can get eggs, cold meats, cheese, and perhaps bacon and eggs with tomatoes and mushrooms. Evening meals you can have meat with a salad or veg. Be careful with stews - they are usually thickened with flour and this will spike you. There are always burger bars, just don't eat the bread!

Reactions: RFSMarch

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One tip we have all found useful with the Libre is to attach it but refrain from activating it for 36 to 48 hours. This gives your body chance to recover from having a foreign body in your arm. They can be temperamental for the first day or so and have strange readings, but this delay seems to help. You also have to remember that the Libre is reading interstitial fluid, not blood. This fluid carries glucose just as our blood does, but it is about 15 minutes or so behind the blood. If you do some comparison checks with a blood glucose meter you need to finger prick first, then wait 10 to 15 minutes before scanning. (Our bodies all seem to vary in this time lapse thing.) Don't forget to tell the monitor when you are about to eat, when you get out of bed, and when you go to bed. Otherwise the graphs (you need to download the software) won't make as much sense. The eating time is important as the graph will show the actual peak in mmol/ls.

Eating in hotels isn't always easy, but it can be done. Breakfasts you can get eggs, cold meats, cheese, and perhaps bacon and eggs with tomatoes and mushrooms. Evening meals you can have meat with a salad or veg. Be careful with stews - they are usually thickened with flour and this will spike you. There are always burger bars, just don't eat the bread!

Lunch and evening will be at the tournament. My hours of working are typically 12-14 hours (especially with the time diff to the UK and scheduling stuff on social is always a little more challenging. There might be a burger place at Cincy - and I almost always have skinny burgers anyway so that might be an option. Like I said - I have NO choices here. It all depends on what the concessions are. This tournie is in the middle of come corporate car park (!) so it is not like you can mooch out and find a grocery store, and to be honest I am usually in early am to capitalise on the time difference for articles.

I also don't drive in the US, although... my friend and her mum are coming for the week for the tennis and have agreed to maybe give me a lift in the morning to save the Uber-ing so perhaps I can persuade them to stop off at a supermarkey en route. First time I am staying in Mason (used to stay in the burbs in West Chester) so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised! Then again this is Americana food at its finest (!) ...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watch for the rice content of sushi! :wideyed:
I was actually worried about that. A doctor friend who was staying with me when I got my test results and she was the one that steered me towards sushi for lunch that day rather than the pub lunch we were aiming for. I tend to go for just 4 rolls (well I did at Wimbledon because it was cheaper than blowing my food allowance on the bigger pack). Man they LOVED to give us acres of raw ginger... I felt a little sorry for the poor dude from Serbia sat next to me!