i hate my pump

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For agesss i wanted a pump but now that i have one i hate it soo much. It takes soo much more effort by that i mean my pump(cellnovo) fails so much to the point where i would have had to change it twice a week( as it lasts 3 days) i need to change it at least 4 times because it fails and all that insulin goes to waste. There is always an error of bolus aborted and that seems to be happening alot and whenever that happens you need to change your pump. I realllllyyy hate it as whenever i go out to eat my pump isnt working so i cant bolus :(

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh @IceLover I'm so sorry to hear this! Sounds like your pump is clearly having some issues - what do the manufacturers and/or the hospital have to say about it? Is it a known issue with that pump? Have you been offered a replacement?

You shouldn't have to deal with a faulty pump - it sounds really frustrating, not to mention potentially dangerous, as it's not managing to do what it needs to do: deliver insulin!

Hugs.

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is an awful experience @IceLover

You should speak with your pump DSN/Consultant and if the issues can't be resolved you should ask for a change of pump, I can assure you not all pumps are so unreliable so don't give-up on them altogether.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks guys but whenever i call the company all they do is send you a new one everytime and nothing changes

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is an awful experience @IceLover

You should speak with your pump DSN/Consultant and if the issues can't be resolved you should ask for a change of pump, I can assure you not all pumps are so unreliable so don't give-up on them altogether.
surely they wouldnt give me a new pump since you have to keep the same one for 4 years right??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
surely they wouldnt give me a new pump since you have to keep the same one for 4 years right??

Not if the pump is unreliable and causing you so many issues, the funding is in place regardless so I can't see there being an issue, I'll tag some more experienced pumpers to comment to see if they can add anything @azure @catapillar

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure about whether they would give you a new pump. Are you letting your DSN know about all the technical issues? If they know it's not working to the extent it's not fit for purpose they will probably be able to get a refund from cellnovo and will arrange for a different pump.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I got a different pump because I hated mine. Ask f they'll swap it. Make a list of the reasons and how it's been affecting your life.

It's worth a try :)

iHs

@IceLover

Most pumps have pros and cons but over time, with some compromises, we all get used to them and the way they work.
For yourself, you are new to pumping so if you are having issues with the way the pump is working for you, then contact your DSN by email or letter and at the same time cc the pump company. That will make the issues you are having be addressed. If the pump is faulty, then it will be replaced but if it's just a case of you not using it correctly, then some guidance from the pump rep in the presence of your DSN with yourself will bring a satisfactory ending.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spoke to a Cellnovo rep last month and was told they would give money back if you weren't happy within a certain time - can't remember how long that was though. Maybe worth checking. I would second the advice above from @iHs though - you may find that some time with your DSN and the rep will find the problem.

I hope it's not a general Cellnovo issue as I'm waiting for an appointment to be set up on one!

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I'm on a totally different pump accuchek insight but mine malfunctioned on Monday eve went through the issues with Roche help desk and I received my new one day and Roche helped me set up over the phone, if manufacturer can't help ask if you can change pumps

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to a Cellnovo rep last month and was told they would give money back if you weren't happy within a certain time - can't remember how long that was though. Maybe worth checking. I would second the advice above from @iHs though - you may find that some time with your DSN and the rep will find the problem.

I hope it's not a general Cellnovo issue as I'm waiting for an appointment to be set up on one!
During the first weeks of pumping i was labelled as the 'lucky' one as i had no errors and faults in my group whereas everyone else had their bolus abort and cartridge failure. However i now get many faultss but i dont know if everyone elses is still coming wit the errors as we havent met up for a while. We were a group of 5 for the training sessions.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I have a medtronic so no comment on cellnovo but is the issue with the pump mechanism or the sets? I had a lot of set issues when I first started and solved those by trying different sets til I found the right one which worked in different parts of my body (it varies). If that is the case discuss with your dsn and get them to show you how to insert e.g. I was shown how to hand insert a slanted which is not a technique you can easily find online (unlike all the others). Good luck with this. Pumping at the beginning is hard enough without all the technical failures.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi IceLover
Both my sister and I are using the Cellnovo system and we are both having issues with it, not only lots of cartridge failures with the bolus abort messages but also handset problems I am onto my third handset since last November and she is on her fourth since March this year.
The company is good at replacing faulty items but reliability doesn't seem to improve with time which is a real shame as the system has many good features.
We are both at the point of asking our clinic to change us to an alternative (we both were previously using the Omnipod).
Regards

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi IceLover
Both my sister and I are using the Cellnovo system and we are both having issues with it, not only lots of cartridge failures with the bolus abort messages but also handset problems I am onto my third handset since last November and she is on her fourth since March this year.
The company is good at replacing faulty items but reliability doesn't seem to improve with time which is a real shame as the system has many good features.
We are both at the point of asking our clinic to change us to an alternative (we both were previously using the Omnipod).
Regards

Blimey that is a lot of handsets, have they offered-up an explanation why they keep failing?

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No several different issues such as faulty on/off button, communication errors and rechargeable battery problems.
We have been told by Cellnovo that if we damage or loose the handset the replacement cost is £500.
I would imagine that if Apple or Samsung were replacing equivalent priced mobile phones under warranty at the same rate they probably wouldn't stay solvent for too long.
I can understand why new pump users using this system would feel very disappointed and possibly loose faith in pump technology. I have used both Omnipod and the Animas Vibe previously and didn't experience anywhere near as many problems as with Cellnovo.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi IceLover
Regards
wow thatss alot of handsets and im actually on my second handset and both pumps have been changed!!

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No several different issues such as faulty on/off button, communication errors and rechargeable battery problems.
We have been told by Cellnovo that if we damage or loose the handset the replacement cost is £500.
I would imagine that if Apple or Samsung were replacing equivalent priced mobile phones under warranty at the same rate they probably wouldn't stay solvent for too long.
I can understand why new pump users using this system would feel very disappointed and possibly loose faith in pump technology. I have used both Omnipod and the Animas Vibe previously and didn't experience anywhere near as many problems as with Cellnovo.
i realllyy want the animas vibe, was it a good pump?? The only problem is that my clinic only have the cellnovo,med 640g and the insight. I really dont like the look of the 640g and everyone says that the insight is not great of a pump and fails just as much