Type 2 diagnosis

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder what happens to people who don't even know they Have diabetes for ages. What's the highest Bg anyone has had after a meal

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder what happens to people who don't even know they Have diabetes for ages. What's the highest Bg anyone has had after a meal
I dread to think. I had a fasting blood sugar test in 2013 which came back as borderline but I was never informed, so carried on ignorant of the fact. My diabetes was picked up in a routine annual health check this May. My highest reading I got after getting a meter was 9.7mmols/l but I had started low carbing for a few days before my meter arrived.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dread to think. I had a fasting blood sugar test in 2013 which came back as borderline but I was never informed, so carried on ignorant of the fact. My diabetes was picked up in a routine annual health check this May. My highest reading I got after getting a meter was 9.7mmols/l but I had started low carbing for a few days before my meter arrived.

Yeah same thing after pregnancy they did a test said it came back ok but actually I was borderline and they didn't even tell me or put me on medication I mean I cut out sugar but I was still eating carbs so my own fault should of continued how I was eating in pregnancy after I gave birth. But I just was thinking how can I not eat a pizza how can I not eat a burger LOL

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah same thing after pregnancy they did a test said it came back ok but actually I was borderline and they didn't even tell me or put me on medication I mean I cut out sugar but I was still eating carbs so my own fault should of continued how I was eating in pregnancy after I gave birth. But I just was thinking how can I not eat a pizza how can I not eat a burger LOL
There's a regularly mentioned low carb pizza recipe mentioned here called Fathead Pizza. I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure someone will post a link for you. As for burgers I'm told you can go into Burger King and order a bunless burger, they put all the ingredients between two lettuce leaves instead. I haven't asked for one yet! If I do burgers at home I have a Lidl high protein roll (in fact I just have one half as they are filling). They contain around 9.7g carb per roll. You'll find ways to treat yourself while staying within your carb allowance, it takes time but I'm sure you'll get there.

Last edited:

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a regularly mentioned low carb pizza recipe mentioned here called Fathead Pizza. I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure someone will post a link for you. As for burgers I'm told you can go into Burger King and order a bunless burger, they put all the ingredients between two lettuce leaves instead. I haven't asked for one yet! If I do burgers at home I have a Lidl high protein roll (in fact I just have one half as they are filling). They contain around 9.7g carb per roll. You'll find ways to treat yourself while staying within your carb allowance, it takes time but I'm sure you'll get there.

Yeh suppose so thanks excited to try different ways of cooking healthier suppose it's not too bad at least we eating healthy and won't feel bloated lol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You just don't eat the ones with all the carbs - you can make a very pizzaish alternative - using low carb foods, and might have to make more if you want second helpings.
There is a pizza base made from cauliflower, or there is the fathead pizza - and there are other versions too. The cauliflower is grated into crumbs and you add seasonings and then the toppings so that there is very little cauliflower flavour - if any - left by the time it is served up. The fathead base is cheese and either almond or coconut flour - they are mixed in a bowl set over a pan of hot water to warm it and make the combining easier. The full set of ingredients and instructions are easy to find, and there are load of other recipes devised to be low carb.
When I was pregnant for the second time I was ordered to stop low carbing or be sent to hospital - and I developed pre eclampsia in just a few weeks. Luckily there were no beds available at that moment, so I was sent home and I wept a lot and threw away the cereals. After just one weekend I had deflated like a punctured air bed, and on the Monday was congratulated on finally seeing sense about the diet. That was when I learned to lie to doctors, back in 1985

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You just don't eat the ones with all the carbs - you can make a very pizzaish alternative - using low carb foods, and might have to make more if you want second helpings.
There is a pizza base made from cauliflower, or there is the fathead pizza - and there are other versions too. The cauliflower is grated into crumbs and you add seasonings and then the toppings so that there is very little cauliflower flavour - if any - left by the time it is served up. The fathead base is cheese and either almond or coconut flour - they are mixed in a bowl set over a pan of hot water to warm it and make the combining easier. The full set of ingredients and instructions are easy to find, and there are load of other recipes devised to be low carb.
When I was pregnant for the second time I was ordered to stop low carbing or be sent to hospital - and I developed pre eclampsia in just a few weeks. Luckily there were no beds available at that moment, so I was sent home and I wept a lot and threw away the cereals. After just one weekend I had deflated like a punctured air bed, and on the Monday was congratulated on finally seeing sense about the diet. That was when I learned to lie to doctors, back in 1985

Woah, ok cool will check out the cauli pizza what about pasta alternatives

P

pollensa

I have a friend here in Mallorca whose Blood sugar 4 months ago was 710mg/dl!! He is still alive and kicking well. Obviously, now on medications, and his A1C is down to a 6.7% also.

I was unaware of high sugars time of my first testing last July 2016 it showed 206mg/dl! Not aware if that was good or bad, chemist informed "little high", also notified, the testing monitor had been playing up and not giving consistent levels that morning, Warning sign, be careful all of us, how reliable are the monitors, we may be worrying of a wrong result for nothing!

Also, I had eaten for three days previous to a finger test, COCKTAIL of fruits. From Australia, always eating tropical fruits, I had indulged, breakfast, lunch and dinner, 6-7 fruits, mango, paw paw, strawberries, kiwi, banana, pineapple to name a few, thinking how healthy was my smoothie! Big surprise, it was a cocktail of SUGARS!. Morning of my first finger test, I had the same for breakfast.

Whats the highest Blood sugar, and was the high result a case of self affliction in my case, along with possible Monitor inaccuracy as informed by the Chemist doing the test.

My advice, if its high, double or triple check to save anxiety and worry.

Mallorca

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a friend here in Mallorca whose Blood sugar 4 months ago was 710mg/dl!! He is still alive and kicking well. Obviously, now on medications, and his A1C is down to a 6.7% also.

I was unaware of high sugars time of my first testing last July 2016 it showed 206mg/dl! Not aware if that was good or bad, chemist informed "little high", also notified, the testing monitor had been playing up and not giving consistent levels that morning, Warning sign, be careful all of us, how reliable are the monitors, we may be worrying of a wrong result for nothing!

Also, I had eaten for three days previous to a finger test, COCKTAIL of fruits. From Australia, always eating tropical fruits, I had indulged, breakfast, lunch and dinner, 6-7 fruits, mango, paw paw, strawberries, kiwi, banana, pineapple to name a few, thinking how healthy was my smoothie! Big surprise, it was a cocktail of SUGARS!. Morning of my first finger test, I had the same for breakfast.

Whats the highest Blood sugar, and was the high result a case of self affliction in my case, along with possible Monitor inaccuracy as informed by the Chemist doing the test.

My advice, if its high, double or triple check to save anxiety and worry.

Mallorca

Woah , yeah ok cool I need to research what happens when your blood sugar is super high I mean I know the symptoms but not like effects

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woah, ok cool will check out the cauli pizza what about pasta alternatives
Lasagna - use leeks cut down the length and flattened into sheets, use the middle part of the leek in the filling, or strips of large courgette, throw away the middle.
Noodles - whisk up eggs and dilute with water, then cook thin pancakes in olive oil, stack, roll and slice into strips.
Spaghetti - spaghetti squash baked in the oven, split in two and place cut edge down in a dish with a little water, when soft scoop out the middle.

Reactions: ShyLily

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lasagna - use leeks cut down the length and flattened into sheets, use the middle part of the leek in the filling, or strips of large courgette, throw away the middle.
Noodles - whisk up eggs and dilute with water, then cook thin pancakes in olive oil, stack, roll and slice into strips.
Spaghetti - spaghetti squash baked in the oven, split in two and place cut edge down in a dish with a little water, when soft scoop out the middle.

Ah ok cool thanks I have a lot of researching to do haha will be fun and annoying at the same time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok cool have you had pre made cauliflower rice mash ect and courgetti noodles ect
I've used Tesco ready chopped cauliflower rice (they call it cauliflower couscous) I spread it on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil then bake in the oven for 12 mins. It gives it a slightly 'al dente' texture. Brilliant with a curry :)

Reactions: ShyLily

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've used Tesco ready chopped cauliflower rice (they call it cauliflower couscous) I spread it on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil then bake in the oven for 12 mins. It gives it a slightly 'al dente' texture. Brilliant with a curry :)

Nice

Reactions: Rachox

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does everyone have with their tea and coffee which sugar and milk alternatives I might get coconut sugar and use red top milk or heavy cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does everyone have with their tea and coffee which sugar and milk alternatives I might get coconut sugar and use red top milk or heavy cream
Roasted unsweetened almond milk has no carbohydrates, I use it to make carb free milkshakes with no added sugar Crusha milk shake syrup (vanilla, raspberry or strawberry, watch out though banana and chocolate have a few carbs). I haven't tried it in coffee. I used to drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, but now just have one with breakfast so I don't worry about the carbs in that small amount of milk. The remainder of the day I drink sparkling water and the above mentioned milkshakes. Hope that helps.
Oh and I never took sugar in coffee anyway but someone else I'm sure will suggest alternatives for you.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roasted unsweetened almond milk has no carbohydrates, I use it to make carb free milkshakes with no added sugar Crusha milk shake syrup (vanilla, raspberry or strawberry, watch out though banana and chocolate have a few carbs). I haven't tried it in coffee. I used to drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, but now just have one with breakfast so I don't worry about the carbs in that small amount of milk. The remainder of the day I drink sparkling water and the above mentioned milkshakes. Hope that helps.
Oh and I never took sugar in coffee anyway but someone else I'm sure will suggest alternatives for you.

Ah okay cool that's a lot of variety so that's nice. Yeh I only have one coffee a day so may just have red top milk with it and coconut sugar or something I mean I don't mind drinking it without sweetness but obviously prefer it with some lol

Reactions: Rachox

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys I rang the doctors because it was boring me so my HbA1c in Feb was 42 mmol , in June 59 mmol and July 64 mmol that's bad isn't it wonder how much metformin they will put me on