Amazing & Awesome Avocados.

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

Avocados were on special the other day for $2.50 for a 1Kg bag of snack size ones.

Be ready to eat on Sunday.

52wPEUG.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado is out of my price range here - at the lowest prices I can afford them for a few weeks of the year. If I ever had to move south I'd go to where I could grow avocados in the garden.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Luckily I have my fridge and bowl nicely stocked and ripened / ripening at different stages.

Silly question from an avocado numpty. How do you know when they are perfectly ripened?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Silly question from an avocado numpty. How do you know when they are perfectly ripened?
Not silly!!! I found out through trial and error

Never refrigerate them until they're ripe. Refrigerating them stops the ripening. I keep mine in a wire bowl on the snack counter.

They are ripe when you push on the ends and at the fattest part and they have a LITTLE give. You don't want it to push too hard. If you can push it in too far it's over ripe but sometimes still good. I like mine on the firm side ( not hard) over mush.
If you buy them hard and bright green, once the ripening s starts they can fully ripen very quickly like within a day.
After ripe put in the fridge. Mine last over a week.

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The avo's are just about ready as I can push them in a bit, will test one later on today.
Excellent. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. And how hard or soft you like them. They do ripen just a bit further as they sit in the fridge for days but never mushy. Yuk

It's always a sad day when I bust open a bad one. Not because over ripe, just the nature of the natural beast

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted member 308541

It's always a sad day when I bust open a bad one. Not because over ripe, just the nature of the natural beast
I had some given to me at the bowls club, there were several that were marked, when they ripened they were browny coloured inside so in to the bin they went.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some given to me at the bowls club, there were several that were marked, when they ripened they were browny coloured inside so in to the bin they went.
How do you mean marked? I look for smooth skin. You're supposed to be able to pop off the little stem and if it's green it means go

I have notice different origins make a huge difference. Peru are horrid here. They're either bad or never ripen. I only get the Mexico ones but you might have to search for an origin closer to you. Maybe they pick the Peru too early to get them here without over ripening. Not sure what it is but I won't waste my money on them.

It's always a bad day when it's brown.

D

Deleted member 308541

How do you mean marked?
It looked like it grew against a branch and was marked that way.

As I said we got them at good price as in free, so could not complain about them.

Most of our Avo's at Woolies are local Hess variety, I'm not sure what the other ones are called they sell.

Reactions: Kristin251

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
They have to have a little "give" in them

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I
It looked like it grew against a branch and was marked that way.

As I said we got them at good price as in free, so could not complain about them.

Most of our Avo's at Woolies are local Hess variety, I'm not sure what the other ones are called they sell.
I think the majority are HASS ( are yours Hess? ) At least here. It's more the origin. Like Mexico, Peru, California etc. but I also would think your location might matter and how close or far we are from the origin.

I would like to pop them open and have them look just like my avatar!!!

Reactions: lindijanice
D

Deleted member 308541

I think the majority are HASS ( are yours Hess? )
I should have written Hass, sorry about that.

They grow a couple of varieties of Avo's in the Wide Bay / Burnett area where we live. It was a long time investment like growing Macadamias that started about twenty years or more ago.

D

Deleted member 308541

We gave the avo's a bit of a nudge yesterday, one was not enough but two were good though. :D