Cannula irritation - prevention suggestions please.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks,

In the last couple of weeks I've had skin problems where I've removed cannulas (Accuchek Insight Flex).

I don't have any allergies, or any skin issues in general.

If a cannula is too well stuck I have sometimes softened the adhesive with tea tree oil before removal - not recently though. And bio oil is good to soothe and remove any residual 'stick'.

But this feels as if it's on fire! Is there a product (a magic layer or something!) that I could stick on, on a regular basis, before I apply a new cannula? What's it called and where do I get some?

You can see that the irritation is definitely from the adhesive, as where it hasn't made contact the skin looks normal and doesn't feel as if it's on fire.

I hope this sensitivity isn't here to stay, or gets any worse. It's not a new batch of cannulas.

Apologies for showing flesh! It's the one on the left that burns! The one on the right was from 3 days ago and had calmed down by yesterday.

Thanks for any input!

Love Snapsy

:)

image.jpeg

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Snapsy:)

Ouch that looks nasty, must be causing you some discomfort?

As you know I don't pump, but I'm using tegaderm dressings to hold my Dexcom sensors down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-Box-20/dp/B0009Q2OMW

I know that some users have (to avoid skin irritation like yourself) applied a dressing on their skin, applied the sensor on top of the dressing, and then applied a final dressing on top to keep the sensor in place. It allows for the sensor to stick well, but never actually come in contact with the skin. You'd probably just get away with the one dressing as a barrier.

Although your scenario is a little different, I think the logic is the same?

If you want to try one then I'd be happy to post you a couple for free if you like, save you forking out for something that may be a waste of time:)

There are a lot of folk using barrier sprays with good results too. But I've not tried any.

Hope you're skin is feeling better soon!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eeek, @Snapsy - I've got the exact same thing; my skin cannot cope with the adhesive on those clear, shaped dressings.

The happy news is that there are other options, though you might need to chat to a pharmacist to get hold of some depending on what shape your cannula is. When I was in hospital and had a line in, they changed to the cannulas with the wider wings and stuck them on with that cheap surgical tape - you know the stuff, it comes on those little rolls for about £2.50, and you use them to hold lint dressings and such in place.

I found my skin can handle any adhesive on paper or cloth, but the plastic / latex / rubbery type dressings have an adhesive that brings me out like the picture you posted.

You can also "prime" the skin where your next one will go by getting a high-oil moisturiser and keeping that on the skin as much as you can (I used to put some on a cotton pad and tape that next to my skin). Just before you insert your cannula, clean and "degrease" the area with a little toner (LUSH's Tea Tree Water works like a charm for this, plus it's surprisingly cheap) and you should be rash-free for at least a couple of days like that.

A useful tip a friend once gave me for when you do come up in a rash like that is first apply some children's after sun (less harsh when it's directed at children's tender skin) and then some calamine ointment to help cleanse and keep the skin clean while promoting healing.

Hope that clears up, soon - it's miserable <3

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GrantGam thank you so much for your very supportive response - yes, the discomfort is significant (and I'm very un-wimpy as a rule, so that's saying something!). The heat of the shower was a real 'grit my teeth' affair....!

That's such a kind offer to post me a Tegaderm dressing if you're sure you can spare one - that would be amazing. Thank you!

Shall PM you my address in a tick.

Have just exposed it (from under clothing) to measure it, and it's started to go yellow and blistery. NICE......!

:yuck:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Snapsy, I had the same when I was using the mio cannula sets, the red spot would last about 3-5 days too, I used a barrier spray before attaching the set called Cavilon, you can get it on prescription :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@SockFiddler thank you so much for that advice!

I don't tend to use moisturiser or skin cream day-to-day but I could give that a go, along as I can get the new cannula area degreased properly.

Amusingly I couldn't find the Chateau Snaps supply of Bio Oil this morning, so I nicked a bit of Mr S's hair oil for its soothing properties. Don't tell him will you......?

;)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj - ooooooh, I shall ask the doc about that - thank you!
I'll post you a few dressings to tie you over in the meantime, it's no problem:)

@Juicyj's suggestion of a barrier spray sounds a lot better though - and more so as it can be put on prescription too:)

Reactions: Struma

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Snapsy . At a loss as to be able to offer any advice whatsoever. Bloody diabetes always finds something different to p*ss us off.
Chin up and keep smiling as I know you will.
Hope you find a solution and some relief sooner rather than later.
Good luck and hopefully a pain free day.

P.S. Would calamine lotion help with the discomfort? Only a thought.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I use cavilon spray as well -- it definitely helps me to avoid that nasty looking reaction you had @Snapsy

actually it is my pharmacy "own brand" I get on prescription
Medi Derma-S medical barrier film pump spray

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, I've got so many options to try - this is amazing - I flipping love you lot - thank you so much!

Love Snapsy
xxx

Reactions: himtoo and therower

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay I'm going to stop now with the gross pictures, but here it is a few hours on.....

Just from a little bit of sticky stuff!!!!

#lookafteryourskin

Apologies if you're eating. I shall be no more trouble on this topic!

:bag::facepalm::confused:

image.jpeg

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Hi Snapsy have a search for an old thread of mine on this. There are a number of companies who will give you free samples of sticking on and removal sprays. I got iv300 on prescription for a while. The better news is my skin settled down and I haven't needed anything in a long time.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @tigger - will have a read! And how lovely to hear that yours has calmed down, too - I had (have? - we'll see in time!) visions of running out of areas of skin before the year is out!

Thanks again, all - yer smashin'.

X

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Snapsy,

Sorry you're having a tough time with your sites. I have always had Cavilon recommended to me by my DSNs. In desperation the other month I managed to buy a small tube of the cream for £7 from my local Boots (had to wait over 2weeks for a gp appt.) which did the trick with my libre sensor adhesive which my skin was reacting to....although I had no idea until reading this thread that it also comes in a spray!

Hope you find something that works for you and that you feel better soon.

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @mariposa84 ! Looks like there are lots of things to try out - I'm so grateful to have everyone's input.

Am desperate not to start reacting to the Libre glue - so far so good with that one, butt I think I will use the same preventative measures for that as for my cannulas!

:)