Hypothyroidism?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 'Normal' ranges seem to be different from yours, perhaps age related? And it seems I was diagnosed because of my high TSH figure.

Just looked at my on-line records. The standard for TSH is shown as 0.3 - 6mu/L (November 2016).

Strange how these vary.

Reactions: Kevin259

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just looked at my on-line records. The standard for TSH is shown as 0.3 - 6mu/L (November 2016).

Strange how these vary.
The 'Normal' range might be related to different factors, perhaps age, gender or weight?
I just had another look at my online records and from April 09 - October 12 my Normal TSH range is given as 0.35-4.94 mlU/L.
From October 13 - March 17 it is 0.27 - 4.2 mlU/L.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 'Normal' range might be related to different factors, perhaps age, gender or weight?
I just had another look at my online records and from April 09 - October 12 my Normal TSH range is given as 0.35-4.94 mlU/L.
From October 13 - March 17 it is 0.27 - 4.2 mlU/L.

I think gender may play a part, as it does with some cholesterol levels, and possibly age. Not sure about weight as how would the lab know this? In November 2016 when that standard was recorded, I was female (still am!!) and aged 68 (sadly no longer!)

In 2010 and 2011 it was 0.3 - 5mu/L Changed to 0.3 - 6mu/L from 2012

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @GrantGam About 7 years ago I started getting a squeezing sensation around my heart area. I thought it might be angina, which my father had been diagnosed with,
With hindsight I think my father might have been mis-diagnosed as having angina. It could have been caused by hypothyroidism as he also said he had difficulty walking, though he put this down to an accident with a tram when he was young.
I would have thought that an accident like that would have affected his walking throughout his life, which it didn't, only when he got older.

janeridal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've come rather late to this thread - but for what it's worth... my mother (and younger sister) both suffer from hyperthyroidism and have had thyroidectomies. My problem is hypothyroidism, which was diagnosed some 30 years ago. As others have said, easily treated; in my case 2 pills once a day - 2 because there isn't a 125mcg pill! Of interest, my diabetes consultant was quite interested in my background of thyroid problems - this was when I was diagnosed Type 1 2 years ago - and sat up with a bang when I mentioned that my father was an adult-onset coeliac (gluten intolerance). He commented to the effect that, with that genetic background, while I'm the first diabetic in the family - as far as we know - I won't be the last. My siblings were thrilled to hear that....

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys:)

I collected my blood work results from the Clinic today. I had a heap of things tested, and for the most part I'm in good nick, it seems. The results that are a little suspect I've noted below:

T4 - 11 (no change)
TSH - 4.19 (slight increase)
Antibodies weren't tested, which I'm annoyed about...

Serum folate - 4.9 (range: 3.0 - 20.0)

Thinking the folate value might be a little on the low side? I just checked my multivitamin nutritional info and they contain 200ug of folic acid which is apparently 100% of my NRV. Thoughts on that guys? Maybe an extra folic supplement?

Cheers,
Grant

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys:)

I collected my blood work results from the Clinic today. I had a heap of things tested, and for the most part I'm in good nick, it seems. The results that are a little suspect I've noted below:

T4 - 11 (no change)
TSH - 4.19 (slight increase)
Antibodies weren't tested, which I'm annoyed about...

Serum folate - 4.9 (range: 3.0 - 20.0)

Thinking the folate value might be a little on the low side? I just checked my multivitamin nutritional info and they contain 200ug of folic acid which is apparently 100% of my NRV. Thoughts on that guys? Maybe an extra folic supplement?

Cheers,
Grant

Are the medics any closer to a diagnosis for you GrantGam? Are the medics suggesting next steps, or are you in limbo?

My TSH seems to double and half at will, so it's almost like a finger prick blood glucose test, it seems.

On a positive note, if you had a load of tests done, at least there a load of things you know you don't have.

Reactions: smurph37

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have had Hypothyroidism since my early 20's ..I was training for Nursing and we were doing the endocrine glands I found that some of the symptoms I had was being discussed so off to the Docs I went and had a blood test , a month later I had not heard anything but had to go to the Doctors for another issue and that was when he told me I had Hypothyroidism and needed to be on levothyroxin immediately and why had I not rung up for the results??? I had two children after starting the meds and am now almost 74 years young.....so I say KEEP taking the meds

Reactions: Freema and smurph37

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are the medics any closer to a diagnosis for you GrantGam? Are the medics suggesting next steps, or are you in limbo?

My TSH seems to double and half at will, so it's almost like a finger prick blood glucose test, it seems.

On a positive note, if you had a load of tests done, at least there a load of things you know you don't have.
No, unfortunately no closer...

Hoping to start pump therapy soon(ish) so we can at least rule out basal insulin as a potential cause of fatigue, etc. We shall see.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does Insulin cause fatigue?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Differences in reference ranges is simply due to machines. Each blood analyser has its own, usually the difference is relatively small.
Gender differences are usually identified on the form, the 2 commonest are probably Hb and creatinine.
Changes in reference ranges are usually advertised to subscribers a while in advance, before a new machine is brought into use. :)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i was diagnosed over 10 years ago with a TSH just a bit below yours and a T4 slightly lower, what decided it was that i was type one with high antibodies - the hospital sent my GPs a note with the test results - "consider treatment" i think i remember that it depended on whether i had 'clinical symptoms'. (ie extreme tiredness etc etc, difficult to wake up etc).I started medication immediately, my GP wanting my T4 up and my TSH down. As you have Type one, push hard for the recognised autoantibody tests. , or ask your diabetic team.

Reactions: Freema

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
......also, have your blood taken soon after waking, or at least in the morning, everytime you test. The morning may be a higher TSH if you are only just developing the disease, for instance, eg, i recall i could be 6.8 in the morning, and 4.3 in the evening , see thyroid websites which seem to confirm this. It is better, if you have these sort of TSH levels, to test for autoantibodies, at least 2 types asap, to understand whether there is an ongoing autoimmune attack

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd had the symptoms of low thyroid activity for years, but the test always came back as normal - so I was told, but eventually I had yet another test and the doctor almost scared me to death by starting the conversation with 'there is something very wrong' - I was so shocked that once I learned what it was I snapped 'I've been telling you that for years'.
It is just a matter of taking the tablets, but there is something missing I think - I have never been quite the same on the tablets as I was before I started feeling feeble. My TSH was several thousand times higher than the normal range when diagnosed, and took a long time to come down.
I never felt that I was fully restored but when I was up at the top end of the range I felt far more energetic than when at the lower .

Reactions: Freema