Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
learning what food raised my blood sugars - so for me the blood testing was paramount to learning what I needed.
The second was all the variations that make a difference but also that this is all completely individual so you have to learn what is right for you.

Reactions: letstalk1 and Chook

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That blood glucose can be controlled by going low enough as type 2 diabetic stil producing insuline and that it is easier to loose weight if one gets insuline levels as low as possible when also still relieing on natural produced insuline of cause combined with eating less . The third valuable knowledge I have gained is How beneficial fasting is in lowering the too far raised insuline in type 2 diabetics
I havent done fasting yet thinking about doin it.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sooo true
learning what food raised my blood sugars - so for me the blood testing was paramount to learning what I needed.
The second was all the variations that make a difference but also that this is all completely individual so you have to learn what is right for you.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are many things I am learning, and all from this forum.
Eat to your meter
Don't deprive yourself
And one thing, and very important, is that some obese people struggle to lose weight no matter how hard they try. It is not their fault.
There are many things I am learning, and all from this forum.
Eat to your meter
Don't deprive yourself
And one thing, and very important, is that some obese people struggle to lose weight no matter how hard they try. It is not their fault.
Eat to your meter is my fave thing and just plain says it all as someone with Diabetes starts self educating and thru their journey of learning.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That blood glucose can be controlled by going low enough as type 2 diabetic stil producing insuline and that it is easier to loose weight if one gets insuline levels as low as possible when also still relieing on natural produced insuline of cause combined with eating less . The third valuable knowledge I have gained is How beneficial fasting is in lowering the too far raised insuline in type 2 diabetics
I havent done fasting yet , but will be.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think
1) accepting that I have diabetes
2) discovering that one size doesnt fit all people with diabetes and that I can make individual choices regarding diet, medication etc informed by my results from eating to the meter etc
3) Diabetes is a sneaky little ****** and will throw you curve balls along the way - dont get complacent
One size dosent fit all for sure.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That I can eat as much protein, fat and above ground veg as I like and still control my BG and lose weight. But I must not eat bread and rice, paster or any drink fruit juice along with limiting below ground veg and tropical fruit.
Yes , same here.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As others have said, eating to my meter is the most important thing.

I think I've learned that diabetes isn't a fixed state - it constantly keeps shifting the goal posts. What might be okay for me one week might not work for me the following week and different combinations of foods react in different ways - so I need to keep vigilant and keep testing.

I've also learned to be a bit more experimental with my food and eat things and in ways that I wouldn't have considered before diagnosis.

''I've also learned to be a bit more experimental with my food and eat things and in ways that I wouldn't have considered before diagnosis'' I am really doing this one and tweaking things I eat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has kind of reinforced what I was taught when doing my degree in Archaeology (odd I know).. never blindly accept anything you are told. It has led me to question HCP's and to try to educate myself to the ins and outs of the condition I have. This has led to more reading on cholesterol and where we have been misled there too. Also that I have to take control of my body and "own" my condition - no-one else can do that for me.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
1-You can beat this
2-Fruit is evil
3-Chocolate is a real bi*ch too
4-Some restaurants serve sweet potato fries
5-Walking and other forms of daily moderate exercise will help
Bonus
*- I can actually smell sugar when I walk into a room
I totally agree fruit is evil and I add sugar to that - because these release a monster in me that I definatly dont need released, and I can smell sugar the same way.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It has kind of reinforced what I was taught when doing my degree in Archaeology (odd I know).. never blindly accept anything you are told. It has led me to question HCP's and to try to educate myself to the ins and outs of the condition I have. This has led to more reading on cholesterol and where we have been misled there too. Also that I have to take control of my body and "own" my condition - no-one else can do that for me.
Truth for sure.

Reactions: Oldvatr

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have learned
- Exercise makes alot of difference in being controlled and all things related , someone with Diabetes body needs movement
- Sugar is my enemy
- The more you drink the more you pee , so plan that accordingly , lol.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh and if I could add one more thing. There are some truly scrumptious very low carb things I eat now that I hadn't before I was diagnosed. Eating is a real pleasure !!

Reactions: letstalk1

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and if I could add one more thing. There are some truly scrumptious very low carb things I eat now that I hadn't before I was diagnosed. Eating is a real pleasure !!
I second that. My family are all doing my diet with me, but with extensions since none of them are diabetic. We love the LC meals. So I will do normal potatoes for them,amd sweet pots for me, Recently I now only do sweet pots for all and we have ditched the normal pots. Pizza is an LC one by choice and also on request. There are crisps etc in the larder, but they last ages nowadays.

Last edited:

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I still struggle to understand what is going on in my body - I will eat something one day and it will be fine - eat it the next day and a spike - have put this one down to the a sort of build up of the carbs............... but do not know for sure why it is OK one day and not the next.

Struggling generally with spikes at the moment - making some poor decisions about what I will eat............ Hoping each day that I can get things back in control - manage it some days and not others.............
Still I have not given up so will keep on trying. I do get extremely fed up with what I can eat mainly because I am not adventurous food wise and so I do not try new foods easily and have been know to cook something and then no even try it because I don't like the look or the smell of it..............

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dont put weight on from to much protien as of yet , Do you know why you do?

It's only a few kilos and as of the last check up I was technically underweight with a bmi of 19 I'm not that worried at the mo but I will keep an eye on it. I rarely weigh myself but I will do it more often and temper my portion sizes to try to control weight gain/ loss

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont put weight on from to much protien as of yet , Do you know why you do?
google Gluconeogenesis to find out the science about it, I find an LC meal with 1 pork faggot in it generally my bgl drops. Same meal with a greedy 2 faggots and I get a big spike that lasts ages. Nothing in the ingredients showing for carbs or sugar, But I can eat a complete battered cod (cod in batter, not an abused cod) with only a small short rise of 1mmol/l and that is probably the ketchup.

Edit to add: Yesterday I had 1 slice of toast with Brussels Pate on it, and some tomatoes, and my bgl shot up over 3 mmol/l. The same toast with marmalade on it at similar time would hardly raise me. There is something they put in the commercial pate (and faggots) that is spiking me, but nothing obvious in the label.

Last edited: