Lactulose and Blood Sugar Levels - Don't Read if You're Eating!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on a low carb diet since type 2 diagnosis three months ago. Over the past 18 years since removal of my gall bladder I have had a tendency to have loose stools, so (once over the extra diarrhoea provided by Metformin!) I had a happy side effect of low carbing, normal poo! However the last few weeks I have become more and more constipated. Initially I cut down my egg consumption but that didn't help much and I've tried to eat more salad and veg but I don't have a bottomless pit of a stomach like I used to and am struggling not to feel uncomfortably full. So last week I resorted to taking Lactulose having read that although it's a sugar it was not absorbed so wouldn't affect my blood sugars. My sugars had been running in the 5s with the occasional 6, on waking always in the 5s. Since starting starting Lactulose 10mls twice a day, it has solved my constipation but my sugars are now in the 6s with the occasional 5, on waking always in the 6s. Last night I just took 5 mls as a compromise and bingo my waking sugar was 5.3! Do you think this is just coincidence? Has any one else found that Lactulose does in fact raise their levels?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't tried lactulose myself but I found drinking plenty of fluids helped with the constipation. Are you drinking at least 2 litres a day?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't tried lactulose myself but I found drinking plenty of fluids helped with the constipation. Are you drinking at least 2 litres a day?
I'm drinking like a fish! Always have a bottle of water nearby but I will endeavour to drink even more! Thank you for the suggestion.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed Lactulose when I was pregnant. It doesn't affect your BS level because it is a "reverse'' sugar as I understand it, ie. the sugar molecule is a mirror image of a normal one, and in consequence is not digested. That's why it works, or at least that's what I was told when I queried it. I would back extra fluids as helpful, sometimes remarkably so. When the weather's warm and you're busy, it can be easy to get slightly dehydrated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Rachox An alternative to try is the sugar free version of Fybogel - it's a flavoured sachet which you mix with water but has very effective results.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed Lactulose when I was pregnant. It doesn't affect your BS level because it is a "reverse'' sugar as I understand it, ie. the sugar molecule is a mirror image of a normal one, and in consequence is not digested. That's why it works, or at least that's what I was told when I queried it. I would back extra fluids as helpful, sometimes remarkably so. When the weather's warm and you're busy, it can be easy to get slightly dehydrated.
Yes I read that it shouldn't affect blood sugar levels too because of it not being absorbed. Thinking about it as it absorbs more water from the bowels, I suppose I need to up my fluids even further than I have done already. If I'm dehydrated that might be the cause of the blood sugar rise maybe?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Rachox An alternative to try is the sugar free version of Fybogel - it's a flavoured sachet which you mix with water but has very effective results.
Ah ok. Is that available over the counter? I'll try that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I don't think it is over the counter, you can buy online if that's easier, just make sure you get the sugar free version :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find flaxseed, sprinkled on most of my meals, keeps me normal. I don't eat many veggies, but flax and other seeds work wonders. The only time I had a problem was right at the beginning of going low carb. I haven't had a problem since

Reactions: scooby2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find flaxseed, sprinkled on most of my meals, keeps me normal. I don't eat many veggies, but flax and other seeds work wonders. The only time I had a problem was right at the beginning of going low carb. I haven't had a problem since
That sounds like a good natural solution. I've found them on Tesco.com. How much do you use each day?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that as well as veggies and enough fluid and fats, eating plenty of nuts & seeds etc, mainly in the form of low carb muffins, etc helps with fibre/bulk.

I hesitate to recommend it as I had a very unpleasant experience with it, but :yuck:psyllium husk:yuck: is also supposed to "keep you going"...

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Linwoods ground (milled) flaxseed, available in supermarkets or on-line. A serving is said to be 15g. I used to just mix it in my yogurts, about a heaped dessertspoon full. Now I just sprinkle it on everything like pepper and salt.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask why you don't eat many veggies? Don't like? Or don't digest?
I love them but I can't eat many either or I bloat. I think that's my body telling me something.

At the risk of sounding repetitive with my avocado, it totally keeps me regular.
I was constipate fall my life until avocados. However I was eating loads of grains and carbs and very little fat through the lfhc era

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that as well as veggies and enough fluid and fats, eating plenty of nuts & seeds etc, mainly in the form of low carb muffins, etc helps with fibre/bulk.

I hesitate to recommend it as I had a very unpleasant experience with it, but :yuck:psyllium husk:yuck: is also supposed to "keep you going"...

Robbity
Funnily enough I have some psyllium husk powder as it's called for in two low carb recipes I've been making for breakfast, coconut porridge and low carb pancakes. No adverse effects here. I could just put a little more in!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried supplementing with magnesium citrate.. sorts me out no prob . I dissolve a teaspoon in hot water then add some sparkling water to that mix. Don't have toooo much or else....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried supplementing with magnesium citrate.. sorts me out no prob . I dissolve a teaspoon in hot water then add some sparkling water to that mix. Don't have toooo much or else....
Oh no! Isn't that the stuff that I was given before a colonoscopy once! :woot:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask why you don't eat many veggies? Don't like? Or don't digest?
I love them but I can't eat many either or I bloat. I think that's my body telling me something.

They digest OK. It is mostly because neither of us enjoys them a lot. We do have them with our Sunday roasts, but the rest of the week it is mostly limited to peas and mushrooms. Salad leaves very occasionally. Mushrooms at some point every day. I eat a lot of tomatoes, and have them daily, and yes, I know they are fruits, but counted as veg in this house! I also still eat a few potatoes as my meter says I can. Personal choice and it has never done me any harm. One thing I could never be, and that is vegetarian!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be as simple as needing a little more normal salt. try having a stock cube in a cup of warm water 2 times a day and see if you get an improvment after a week.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They digest OK. It is mostly because neither of us enjoys them a lot. We do have them with our Sunday roasts, but the rest of the week it is mostly limited to peas and mushrooms. Salad leaves very occasionally. Mushrooms at some point every day. I eat a lot of tomatoes, and have them daily, and yes, I know they are fruits, but counted as veg in this house! I also still eat a few potatoes as my meter says I can. Personal choice and it has never done me any harm. One thing I could never be, and that is vegetarian!
Salad leaves are iffy. I do eat some romaine every night as my hubby makes a huge salad and I take a few spoonfuls ( yes, he uses a tablespoon rather than a fork haha) but any more than that and my tummy rebels and when that happens I don't sleep. I love mushrooms and tomatoes but the back of my knee says no tomatos!! It bloats my knee.
I need my meats and fish too. Not large amounts but definatley lunch and dinner. ( I have two lunches and included in both)

Funny is I USED to follow the blood type diet and it sorted me out right away. I'm type O and best to be in a mild state of ketosis, no grains, dairy and limited legumes very occasionally. Higher protein and fat. Nuts and seeds included. I don't follow it as I do eat some 'avoid' foods like avocado. Imagine that! But the basic premise does resonate and I do gravitate hugely to it naturally.
In fact the people who are having trouble low carbing and eating fat I would almost presume they are type A. A's are geared more toward a vegetarian lifestyle.
When I did eat grains, starches and sugars I always felt miserable. Lived in a chronic state of bloat and pain. Knowing what I know now and the feelings of blood sugar swings I imagine I've been diabetic of some sort for quite a long time. Since starting Adtkins many moons ago I felt so much better immediately. Just tweaked along the way to find the right diet for me. My stomach always lets me know if I'm a good girl or a bad girl.