Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You might want to be careful about how you discuss your current way of eating with your DN. They have a nasty habbit of getting a bit upset if you aren't following the eating plan that they give you. Mine would like me to eat three carb based meals and three carb based snacks each day I've learned not to offer information to her about what I'm doing and, if asked directly, to be a bit 'flexible' with the detail - for example 'reducing my calories and eating plenty of veg' would cover what you're doing.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are clearly getting your BG numbers down however you are getting a large increase with your midday meal. Keep this up and will get great result.

For a bit of "fine tuning": Some supermarkets sell fresh stock, as these have much lower carb that most tinned soaps they may be a good option. You may wish to dilute them if they are too strong for you along with adding a little salt, maybe even add a little cream, olive oil or butter.

One of many examples is https://www.tesco.com/groceries/pro...VSkwNCh3_3wJLEAQYAyABEgIQH_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it was me, I would have kept taking the Metformin (unless the **** side effects) as they would may the diet work faster due to them decreasing insulin resistance. If you decide to restart them, build the does up slowly.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See my DN this afternoon, she was impressed and asked for the name of the diet. She has asked me to have my long range test in the middle of September instead of the start of November, and I can call if I have any problems or need any help before mid September.

I was 84 KG at my last weigh in, I am now 80.2KG so I have lost a little over 8 pounds this week. I am going to aim for the 15% body weight loss advised by Taylor which means I need to be at approx 72 KG, however I had already lost 20KG in the last 2 years so 72 KG might be overly drastic. Lets see how it goes.
The weight loss this week was with practically zero exercise and I mean zero apart from going shopping and walking over to the local shop. Sedentary in the extreme. So wholly down to the diet.

So as this first week comes to an end I am happy with everything except my inability to exercise to any degree, I will try and figure that out over the coming days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
See my DN this afternoon, she was impressed and asked for the name of the diet. She has asked me to have my long range test in the middle of September instead of the start of November, and I can call if I have any problems or need any help before mid September.

I call that a win. She is being very supportive.

Reactions: Peerless67

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have lost a little over 8 pounds this week. I am going to aim for the 15% body weight loss advised by Taylor which means I need to be at approx 72 KG, however I had already lost 20KG in the last 2 years so 72 KG might be overly drastic. Lets see how it goes.

About half of that would have been water, expect to lose no more than half a pound a day even if you are doing a complete water fast, so don't get concerned when it slows down.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep, understood and totally agree. I was gobsmacked to see my Bloods down to 8.5 this morning. I am watching carefully. I saw my go before embarking on this diet.
I do not know what meds you are taking and I am not qualified to advise you, however be aware that your numbers could drop as fast as mine and if you are on anywhere near the same amount of meds I was your BG could drop very low.
If you plan on continuing your meds I would 100% inform your GP and DN before embarking on it.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
<<<<<<< My new avatar is my first reading on the first day of this diet.

Yesterday I hit a new low BG number, I was 7.6 two hours after my midday meal and before my evening meal >> 4.9 <<
2 hours after 8.1 (increased veg to make up to 800 calories) and before bed 7.2

Feel incredible to have hit anywhere near a 4 in such a short time.

Week 2 Day 8:

My first BG of the day is always the one I want to see improve and my BG this morning was 5.9

DSCN0256.JPG

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is absolutely WONDERFUL!! Well done!!!!

It ALMOST makes me feel like joining you on your version of the Newcastle Diet (which, actually, is more like Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet). Note the word 'almost'. ;)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is absolutely WONDERFUL!! Well done!!!!

It ALMOST makes me feel like joining you on your version of the Newcastle Diet (which, actually, is more like Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet). Note the word 'almost'. ;)

@Chook do it, give it a go. You have nothing to lose (except some pounds and ounces and BG numbers)
The first 2 days are hard, but to be fair I was concerned that I had just quit taking 9 T2 tablets so started at 350 Cals. There was no need for concern as my carb intake was low enough not to cause me any problem.
Now I am between 7-800 calories, and I feel confident I can see this through.

I can not pass judgment on whether or not these LC diets can reverse T2 but for right now my BG levels and weight loss speak for themselves. I have gone from 17.6 fasting BG to 5.9 in one week. I have also lost over 8 pounds.

Reactions: Fleegle

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I missed my pre midday meal test yesterday, I was just busy and forgot to do it. My fasting BG was 5.9 so I would guess it would have been a little lower than that. 2 hours after my midday meal it was 7.7
Before my evening meal >> 4.6 << and 2 hours after 5.8

Week 2 Day 9:

My fasting BG this morning 5.4

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday morning my fasting BG was 5.4.
Before midday meal 5.1 and two hours after 6.8
Before my evening meal 4.7 and two hours after 6.8
Before bed 5.5

Week 2 day 10:

Fasting BG 5.6 which is the first time since I started the diet that my first BG of the day was higher than the day before. However I remained below 7 for all of my tests yesterday which is another first for me.

A few days ago I was aware I had gone into keto but I am sure it has passed (no acetone breath) I am going to buy some ketostix today to see if I need to reduce the veg in my evening meal.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's great. :) How are you feeling generally? Any difficult hunger pangs??

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's great. :) How are you feeling generally? Any difficult hunger pangs??

Truthfully no, it passed some days ago. I went to the supermarket a few days ago and as I passed the bakery the smell of hot fresh bread tormented me for a bit. The worst was the first few days I was starving waiting between meals but that has completely passed.
I actually now feel a fair bit better in myself generally than I did prior to the diet, I do not think this has anything to do with the weight loss and more to do with the low BG levels.

I promised myself a nice fresh ham roll when the diet is over on September 27th

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Truthfully no, it passed some days ago. I went to the supermarket a few days ago and as I passed the bakery the smell of hot fresh bread tormented me for a bit. The worst was the first few days I was starving waiting between meals but that has completely passed.
I actually now feel a fair bit better in myself generally than I did prior to the diet, I do not think this has anything to do with the weight loss and more to do with the low BG levels.

I promised myself a nice fresh ham roll when the diet is over on September 27th

Yes, I found that once I got my BG under control I felt better in a lot of ways that I didn't know were wrong with me before - and it was surprising the things I had wrong with me that I didn't know were connected to diabetes. I do think that actually doing something positive to put yourself in control of your diabetes and BG makes you feel very good about yourself. You are doing great! :)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday before my midday meal 5.2 two hours after 6.4
Before my evening meal 5.9 two hours after 7.3 and before bed 5.7

Week 2 day 11:

My fasting BG today 5.2 That is a new low for my first BG

My chemist ordered me some ketostix which I collect today, I am sure I am no longer in ketosis so I may need to reduce one of my meals.
I think I need to increase my protein intake as the soups are a long way off of the Optifast shakes and soups, I may take a trip out and see if I can find something similar to optifast with more protein than the soup. It has not caused any issues that I am aware of but I don't want my body scavenging protein from my muscle tissue.
I will update later.

Reactions: zand

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
5.2!!! Thats a massive drop from your 17.8 FBG on day one.

Good idea about the protein :) How about something like a small piece of salmon or chicken with your evening meal?