Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

Jo123

Just read this thread and you are doing so well, well done.
Are you having some protein powder? If you were my other half I would be concerned about you not eating any protein.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Peerless
I am following you as you started approx a week before me so it gives me massive motivation when I see you doing so well.
My lowest fasting bs has been 5.5 although was 7 this morning I have been averaging low 6's in my second week. I am now on zero meds.
I have dropped from 15st 2lbs to 13st 13.5lbs ( today is 2 weeks in)
My b pressure is also now completely normal.

You said you was going to look for a shake that contains proteins and vitamins etc....
I am using "Astral nutrition" if you google it, it will come up easy.
Any prob locating them, let me know

Keep up the great work, well done so far and remember, I am relying on you (no pressure lol)

Reactions: Chook

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am using "Astral nutrition" shakes which contain everything you need.
They are only approx 100 calories a shake so that means you can have an extra 300 calories to add to the 200 giving you 500 more

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just read this thread and you are doing so well, well done.
Are you having some protein powder? If you were my other half I would be concerned about you not eating any protein.

Hi Jo123 I seem to be doing ok, I was a bit concerned to begin with but I do not appear to have had any negative symptoms from having reduced protein intake. However I think I will hit the 15% weight loss pretty quickly and at that point I want to halt the weight loss but continue to burn fat. So I will switch to a ketogenic diet to see out the remaining time of the 8 weeks once I hit the 72KG

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers @Muzzer, You have done great. I wont be quitting so don't worry. I was so ill I can not describe it, my BG was in the high teens after fasting and high twenties low thirties after eating. I am now down to the high 4s fasting and 6s 7s 8s after eating.
I have at times felt weak on this diet strength wise but I have felt so well, its so nice to feel normal that I just have to see it through.
I was taking 9 x T2 meds a day 4 metformin, 4 gliclazide, and a sitagliptin and with all that medication was still getting those high numbers. On day one of this diet my BG after fasting was 17.6 (my avatar) and that was after taking all those meds. I took my last meds on the day before the diet and for the most part my BG has dropped every day to the point where it is in the 4s now.
I accept that it is lower now because of my restricted calorie intake but I am losing the weight and hope that this can reverse my T2 rather than just control it.
Having said that I will not return to the same number of carbs I was eating again. I have never actually been that big, I am 6'3" and I was 104 KG at my heaviest but over the past 2 - 2.5 years got down to 84KG. That was not by dieting it was from wastage, being unwell. I was 77KG at my last weigh in and I suspect it has slowed a little although according to the ketostix I am still in ketosis so maybe I have done better than I think, I will know Monday when I do my weigh in.
Although I was not over weight I have obvious fat around my abdomen which has started to melt away. I have decided that once I hit the 72KG (15%) I will change to a ketogenic diet, my theory is that as long as I continue burning fat the visceral fat will reduce but I can maintain/increase muscle mass. Any lower than this takes me into the under weight category so I want to remain sensible.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I had a high BG after my evening meal of 8.7 I had 2 onions in my veg and that was the only difference. I do not know if it was the cause or if it was a bad reading. With hind sight I should have done a second reading but I have gone through so many test strips this past 3 weeks I thought I had better reduce the number of tests I do, I have also made my fingers sore lol

Week 3 day 20:

Fasting BG 4.7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had a high BG after my evening meal of 8.7 I had 2 onions in my veg and that was the only difference. I do not know if it was the cause or if it was a bad reading. With hind sight I should have done a second reading but I have gone through so many test strips this past 3 weeks I thought I had better reduce the number of tests I do, I have also made my fingers sore lol

Week 3 day 20:

Fasting BG 4.7
Onions spike me, and I've never had more than half of one.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Week 3 day 20:

Fasting BG 4.7

Probably the onions - my BG always goes up after eating onions. You can taste the sugar in them if you slow cook them - chefs call it 'caramelising'. One medium onion has 10g of carbs in it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the onions - my BG always goes up after eating onions. You can taste the sugar in them if you slow cook them - chefs call it 'caramelising'. One medium onion has 10g of carbs in it.

I had to give up one of my favourite meals which involved roasted red peppers and onions as it really spiked me. I've ditched the peppers altogether (they REALLY tasted sweet) but couldn't bear to give up onions as I adore them. Have to eat them in small quantities though.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I agree it was probably the onions, I usually only use one medium onion but I was out of bell peppers so made it up with a red and white onion. I could never give them up all together either, but whilst on this diet will be sure to avoid more than one.

Yesterday I had another sub 7 day with my highest BG 6.9 two hours after my evening meal.

Today is final day of week 3 and weigh in day .....

Fasting BG 4.6
Weight 75.6 KG

I am a little disappointed only managing 3 lbs weight loss this week since I have essentially been starving myself, however I have to balance that with my sedentary lifestyle. I am not sitting around doing nothing but I am a carer and pretty much tied to my home.
Like today I went shopping but that will be my longest walk this week unless I can escape for the odd half hour here and there.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
3 lbs weight loss in a week is about right, most people can't burn fat much faster than this even if they are eating nothing. I expect that at the start you were losing water and fat, I think you are now mostly losing fat.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers @Muzzer, You have done great. I wont be quitting so don't worry. I was so ill I can not describe it, my BG was in the high teens after fasting and high twenties low thirties after eating. I am now down to the high 4s fasting and 6s 7s 8s after eating.
I have at times felt weak on this diet strength wise but I have felt so well, its so nice to feel normal that I just have to see it through.
I was taking 9 x T2 meds a day 4 metformin, 4 gliclazide, and a sitagliptin and with all that medication was still getting those high numbers. On day one of this diet my BG after fasting was 17.6 (my avatar) and that was after taking all those meds. I took my last meds on the day before the diet and for the most part my BG has dropped every day to the point where it is in the 4s now.
I accept that it is lower now because of my restricted calorie intake but I am losing the weight and hope that this can reverse my T2 rather than just control it.
Having said that I will not return to the same number of carbs I was eating again. I have never actually been that big, I am 6'3" and I was 104 KG at my heaviest but over the past 2 - 2.5 years got down to 84KG. That was not by dieting it was from wastage, being unwell. I was 77KG at my last weigh in and I suspect it has slowed a little although according to the ketostix I am still in ketosis so maybe I have done better than I think, I will know Monday when I do my weigh in.
Although I was not over weight I have obvious fat around my abdomen which has started to melt away. I have decided that once I hit the 72KG (15%) I will change to a ketogenic diet, my theory is that as long as I continue burning fat the visceral fat will reduce but I can maintain/increase muscle mass. Any lower than this takes me into the under weight category so I want to remain sensible.
That's all great Peerless. I too was in a similar position with blood readings and medications pretty much the same as you. Dr wanted me to start injecting insulin.
I am approx a week behind you, now no meds and BG was 6.1 this morning.
Thing I don't understand is I put 2lbs on this morning but I have kept strictly under 800 calories every day, so was a bit of a downer. I am sure things will improve though.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thing I don't understand is I put 2lbs on this morning but I have kept strictly under 800 calories every day, so was a bit of a downer. I am sure things will improve though.

Most likely it is just water, maybe you had a little more salt the day before, or your body is getting used to "living on fat".

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ringi thanks for that, will look at salt intake in future.
Trying to keep salt down as not good for bp

Well done Peerless, your fasting bg's are fantastic, you must be chuffed the way things are going. I think 3lbs is about right as you will have lost the fluids in first week.
You may get more next week but I would be happy if I was losing 3 or 4 lbs a week.
In fact that is what I am hoping for.
Keep going!

Reactions: Peerless67