Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday before my midday meal 5.2 two hours after 6.4
Before my evening meal 5.9 two hours after 7.3 and before bed 5.7

Week 2 day 11:

My fasting BG today 5.2 That is a new low for my first BG

My chemist ordered me some ketostix which I collect today, I am sure I am no longer in ketosis so I may need to reduce one of my meals.
I think I need to increase my protein intake as the soups are a long way off of the Optifast shakes and soups, I may take a trip out and see if I can find something similar to optifast with more protein than the soup. It has not caused any issues that I am aware of but I don't want my body scavenging protein from my muscle tissue.
I will update later.

This is the power of this forum isn't it - to see a real life example of what can happen when you try to and stick to an experiment. I wonder if someone had said to you after 8 weeks you will have a BG mid to late 5's and you started of near 18 you would have taken that - and look at where you are in just a couple of weeks - absolutely amazing.

Keep going. Watch the protein - that gets converted to.
Try and map as close as you can to the ND diet formula. I am not sure I would rush to change these around when they are going so well for you and it is so early - but you know what you are doing and you need to trust your instinct. Keto sticks great idea.

Reactions: Peerless67

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5.2!!! Thats a massive drop from your 17.8 FBG on day one.

Good idea about the protein :) How about something like a small piece of salmon or chicken with your evening meal?

Fish and poultry are barred in the NC diet, I was hoping to find some shakes at Asda that were similar to Optifast, they had some but the carb/sugar content was too much. I want to try and remain within the confines of the NC diet as closely as I can without access to the optifast. My wife suggested protein powder in my soup.

I got some ketostix today (Beyer Ketostix) the chart on the pack goes from 0 to 16 and I am at 8 which is the second to last colour on the chart. I am not sure how to interpret that except that I am in ketosis. Its not that I am dumb, but my vision has blurred so bad none of my glasses are good enough to see the extremely small print on the leaflet.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish and poultry are barred in the NC diet, I was hoping to find some shakes at Asda that were similar to Optifast, they had some but the carb/sugar content was too much. I want to try and remain within the confines of the NC diet as closely as I can without access to the optifast. My wife suggested protein powder in my soup.

I got some ketostix today (Beyer Ketostix) the chart on the pack goes from 0 to 16 and I am at 8 which is the second to last colour on the chart. I am not sure how to interpret that except that I am in ketosis. Its not that I am dumb, but my vision has blurred so bad none of my glasses are good enough to see the extremely small print on the leaflet.

I think you can get the optifast shakes on amazon.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the power of this forum isn't it - to see a real life example of what can happen when you try to and stick to an experiment. I wonder if someone had said to you after 8 weeks you will have a BG mid to late 5's and you started of near 18 you would have taken that - and look at where you are in just a couple of weeks - absolutely amazing.

Keep going. Watch the protein - that gets converted to.
Try and map as close as you can to the ND diet formula. I am not sure I would rush to change these around when they are going so well for you and it is so early - but you know what you are doing and you need to trust your instinct. Keto sticks great idea.

Yes I plan on sticking as close as possible to the NC diet as I can without the Optifast. Just concerned about the protein levels which are extremely low in the soups compared to the Optifast. I will figure something out.

I am really happy with the BG levels, I would go as far as to say they were the one thing that kept me focused at the start when the hunger would strike. Now the hunger has passed I want to see this through to the end, I have some concerns about how much weight I should lose but I will visit that when I hit the 15% target as beyond that I will be going from slim to thin.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I plan on sticking as close as possible to the NC diet as I can without the Optifast. Just concerned about the protein levels which are extremely low in the soups compared to the Optifast. I will figure something out.

I am really happy with the BG levels, I would go as far as to say they were the one thing that kept me focused at the start when the hunger would strike. Now the hunger has passed I want to see this through to the end, I have some concerns about how much weight I should lose but I will visit that when I hit the 15% target as beyond that I will be going from slim to thin.

I think your weight loss will even out and you will start to scrub that hard to get at fat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The ketostix must be read at the correct time after you put them in the sample. If you read them late, they may give a higher reading.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The ketostix must be read at the correct time after you put them in the sample. If you read them late, they may give a higher reading.

I read it at 15 seconds as advised, but I am unable to read the extremely small print on the information sheet. I will see if there is a PDF online that I can read.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a good point on the shakes - does anyone know what the makeup of the shakes was. I could not find a breakdown on the Newcastle site. The ones on Amazon are a big slug of carbs - over 20 per shake that is 60 carbs a day - about 3x what I am trying to achieve just at the moment...

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is a good point on the shakes - does anyone know what the makeup of the shakes was. I could not find a breakdown on the Newcastle site. The ones on Amazon are a big slug of carbs - over 20 per shake that is 60 carbs a day - about 3x what I am trying to achieve just at the moment...

They are available on the Optifast web page. They are faily high but not as high as the ones in Asda.

Optifast page: (Mods if not allowed please delete) https://www.optifast.com/Pages/products/optifast-800-powders.aspx

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that as the body has no excess protein to convert into glucose, the carbs are not much of an issue. But don't try using the shakes to replace one meal and have a normal meal for the other. (Remember that when we count carbs we often miss some in veg, milk etc.)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I had a high of 7.9 and a low of 5.2
I got some ketostix which read 8, indicating I am in keto but I still don't have a full understanding of the numbers since I can not read the leaflet.

Week 2 day 12:

Fasting BG 5.5 and before my midday meal 5.7 not sure what the rise is as I have only had my black coffee like every other day. Had to do a little running about this AM perhaps that is the cause.
Not much else to report, but looking forward to the weigh in on Monday.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing great - keep going. I would say, from what I have read that you have done the incredibly difficult bit - not that it will get much easier but so many do not make it to day 12. I am sure I read in the initial reading of the experiment that one or two dropped out in the first 10 days.

B

badcat

They are available on the Optifast web page. They are faily high but not as high as the ones in Asda.

Optifast page: (Mods if not allowed please delete) https://www.optifast.com/Pages/products/optifast-800-powders.aspx
Looks like they do 2 different types in terms of carbs - the hp shake mix lower down tha page has 10g as oppossed to the 18g in the top one.
Thatbhaving been said, looking at the long list of ingredients, think Id prefer to get my cals from food rather than a shake

Last edited by a moderator:

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of new low BGs to report.

Yesterday I had a low of 4.3 before my evening meal and a high of 6.8 two hours after. 4.3 is my lowest BG over all since the start of the diet and I was sub 7 for every test yesterday.

Week 2 day 13:

My fasting BG today 5.0 which is my lowest fasting BG since the start of the diet.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great result with the evening meal, I expect you will know you are getting there when the BG 2 hours after your evening meal is about the same as before the meal. Then you can move onto more food, but always trying to stop each meal increasing your BG 2 hours after it. (And no eating between the 2 (or 3) meals, as that would be an invalid day to get flat BG.)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 2 day 14:

Fasting BG 5.1

Weight 77.0 KG

Weight was 84 KG at the start, a week in it was 80.2 so I have lost a bit over 15 pounds. I have been pretty sedentary due to my responsibilities at home. I need to find some exercise I can do and fit around my day.
I have found since increasing my veg intake to make up the 800 calories that I sometimes feel like I have eaten to much, so I am going to reduce my evening meal veg for a couple of days to see how I feel with a lower calorie intake.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have noticed my BG only breaks 7 now after my evening meal

Week 3 Day 15:

Fasting BG >> 4.9 <<

I did not have veg yesterday I replaced it with soup and a sliced bell pepper total calories around 380 for the day. I do not know if I could sustain that for long but I may go with it again today.

Reactions: Chook and ringi

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry for the delay, our cat went out at 10 am yesterday and has not come home so I have been searching for her.

Week 3 day 16:

Fasting BG 4.3 and 6.3 after midday meal. I replaced my evening meal with soup for the past two days but returned to the roasted veg tonight.

Reactions: Chook