ACE Inhibitors

Fearless36

So at my last hospital appointment (back in May) the doctor there said he would write to my GP about putting me on some ace inhibtors. These are for blood pressure as when I was in hospital apparently my readings were quite high/low (not surprising by any means). So I had to chase my GP several times for this, and finally got to speak to a doctor (requested a telephone call). When he got me on the phone, he told me that he thought it was a dangerous idea to put me on this, as 80% of people who go on these develop kidney complications (which interestingly the hospital doctor told me these were for my kidneys and I later found out that these weren't - but were for blood pressure). The GP told me that for now, they weren't going to put me on these, but it is so confusing. I'm constantly being told one thing by hospital and another thing by GP - but this really scared me.

Does anyone take any ACE inhibitors? Could you share your experience?

My GP told me horror stories about the medication and so it has really put me off it big time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken Ramipril, an ACE inhibitor, for high blood pressure for some years without problems. My diabetes diagnosis is more recent. However according to the info. leaflet they are actually beneficial in keeping your kidneys functioning well (diabetic or not). I have a yearly blood test which checks my kidney function amongst other things.
Here's the Patient info leaflet:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/18373

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am taking Lisinopril, 40mg, and haven't had any issues, at least as far as my kidney check ups go.....

I am basically on them to reduce the risk of complications to the vascular system, specifically my eyes and I guess kidneys too.....so I don't see how they would harm the kidneys, especially if BP was being kept at safe levels...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When he got me on the phone, he told me that he thought it was a dangerous idea to put me on this, as 80% of people who go on these develop kidney complications (which interestingly the hospital doctor told me these were for my kidneys and I later found out that these weren't - but were for blood pressure). The GP told me that for now, they weren't going to put me on these, but it is so confusing.

I would get your hospital Dr to write to your gp practice again as high bp can damage vital organs like the kidneys.

I've been on a low-dose of Ramipril for the last 12 years and have suffered no side-effects, I was put on them to lower my bp after previously having retinopathy issues, when I was prescribed them a Dr said that bp drugs ending in 'pril' had a beneficial effect in helping to treat and prevent nephropathy.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I also take Ramipril 10mg for over 15 years and have never had any problems, my Kidney function is checked every 3 months.
(I also take Doxazoin daily which is an Alpha-blocker and belongs to the group called: Vasodilatants)

desidiabulum

I have been taking lisinopril for several years now after cardio procedures (although my blood pressure was fairly low to begin with) with no ill effects. There have certainly been publicised problems associated with ACE inhibitors, and it is sensible to make sure that your kidney function is routinely checked (as it should be anyway). As is so often the case with medication, it is a matter of calculating the balance of benefits and possible damage. As noblehead says, everyone agrees that high blood pressure can do serious damage. If you have sustained high blood pressure then I would have thought it's worth taking the ACE inhibitor, and just make sure that your dose is as low as possible to be effective and that your kidney function is monitored

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
I have been taking (first ) Lisinopril for 18 years and for the last 5 years Losartan to prevent high blood pressure and leakage of protein from my kidneys.
I developed an ACE cough and was switched to the Losartan ---- together it is something that I feel has helped to keep me healthy after 45 years with type 1 Diabetes.
you will need to make your own mind up if it is right for you.....

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So at my last hospital appointment (back in May) the doctor there said he would write to my GP about putting me on some ace inhibtors. These are for blood pressure as when I was in hospital apparently my readings were quite high/low (not surprising by any means). So I had to chase my GP several times for this, and finally got to speak to a doctor (requested a telephone call). When he got me on the phone, he told me that he thought it was a dangerous idea to put me on this, as 80% of people who go on these develop kidney complications (which interestingly the hospital doctor told me these were for my kidneys and I later found out that these weren't - but were for blood pressure). The GP told me that for now, they weren't going to put me on these, but it is so confusing. I'm constantly being told one thing by hospital and another thing by GP - but this really scared me.

Does anyone take any ACE inhibitors? Could you share your experience?

My GP told me horror stories about the medication and so it has really put me off it big time.

I too am on ramipril, not for BP but to protect my kidneys. My BP is normal. Does not give me problems at all.

As a pharmacist I frequently come across examples of your type of problem re doctors

Fearless36

That's what the doctors at the hiv clinic told me they were worried about (kidneys) versus blood pressure. I'm no longer worried about it now after visiting diabetes clinic today.

Reactions: ickihun

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been advised to take them in order to reduce any retinopathy or kidney issues down the line. My blood pressure is well within normal range so in two minds weather to start or not, it says on the packet that a side effect is erectile dysfunction and this is putting me right off.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been advised to take them in order to reduce any retinopathy or kidney issues down the line. My blood pressure is well within normal range so in two minds weather to start or not, it says on the packet that a side effect is erectile dysfunction and this is putting me right off.

Your wife will be happy.? :))

Seriously though kidney dialysis or a transplant is no joke. Remember that not everyone who takes a drug will get all the listed side effects.

Its all about balancing up good effects against the bad effects. In this case for me the goodies win hands down.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your wife will be happy.? :))

Seriously though kidney dialysis or a transplant is no joke. Remember that not everyone who takes a drug will get all the listed side effects.

Its all about balancing up good effects against the bad effects. In this case for me the goodies win hands down.

....sooooo what your saying is that they even by taking these 'I can still rise to the occasion!!!' if so awesome

Reactions: Ymdawd

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ramopiril gave me a gastric ulcer. My blood pressure always reads higher at a hospital appointment than at my GP's surgery and I had previously been prescribed another ACE Inhibitor when my BP went up for a while, because I had put on two stones in weight over a year, because my dose of Levothryroxine for a under-active thyroid needed to be increased, but wasn't. This had caused increasing abdominal pain, which I reported but was ignored, followed by abnormal amounts of painful trapped wind. All the doctors now understand what happened but I am left dealing with the consequences, I am assuming for the rest of my life. I am on permanent medication to reduce the acid in my stomach, but this does not heal the ulcer which has been re-provoked/further irritated by medication prescribed for shingles last January, and also by alendronic acid prescribed for osteoporosis the previous July. I am in daily discomfort if not outright pain at some point every day.

Whatever you are advised to take, read the patient information leaflet carefully and record the date you start taking it plus any change you notice in yourself as time passes. There are always the unlucky people like me who suffer comparatively rare side-effects, and it seems the damage we suffer dannot always be reversed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A wise piece of advice, indeed. It must be hard for you to come to terms with especially when the pain is there to remind you every day that you were ignored by your HCPs. I can only offer you my sympathy and hope that sometime in the future your pain can be alleviated. Hugs.

Edited to add commenters name.

@JMK1954

Reactions: Ymdawd