Spiral cutters from Lidl

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in my local Lidl and saw that they had a set of three cutters - very cheap.
One cuts strips and the other two do coarse or fine strands. You just stick the vege into the end and twist, nothing fancy but from testing on my salad yesterday they work well.

Reactions: Glenmac

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks for letting us know - I'm going to Lidl tomorrow :)

Reactions: GrantGam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was in my local Lidl and saw that they had a set of three cutters - very cheap.
One cuts strips and the other two do coarse or fine strands. You just stick the vege into the end and twist, nothing fancy but from testing on my salad yesterday they work well.
Ooh, I might invest. And thanks for the recommendation of the protein rolls, I sent out yesterday for four and I managed to get half of one roll before the family nabbed the rest! Very tasty and satisfying.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ooh, I might invest. And thanks for the recommendation of the protein rolls, I sent out yesterday for four and I managed to get half of one roll before the family nabbed the rest! Very tasty and satisfying.

They freeze very well (better than normal bread) - I usually slice them before freezing.

If asked, Lidl will sell the frozen unbaked rolls in packs of 12 (for the same price). We freeze three ones unbaked then pop them in the oven for 25mins @ gas mark 5 when we need them. They really hit the spot if you enjoy warm, freshly baked bread.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info, @Chook, I've not thought to ask for the rolls unbaked - will try that next time I go to Lidl. Do you bake from frozen, or allow them to defrost first?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They freeze very well (better than normal bread) - I usually slice them before freezing.

If asked, Lidl will sell the frozen unbaked rolls in packs of 12 (for the same price). We freeze three ones unbaked then pop them in the oven for 25mins @ gas mark 5 when we need them. They really hit the spot if you enjoy warm, freshly baked bread.
Always good to know, thanks.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I bulk freeze the Lidl rolls (in individual plastic bags) then thaw them over night.

Fresh or frozen/thawed, before eating I run them under the tap then pop them in the fan oven for 10 minutes at 150C.

This freshens them up nicely and also sterilises them (often a good thing when bread is from open racks).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for that info, @Chook, I've not thought to ask for the rolls unbaked - will try that next time I go to Lidl. Do you bake from frozen, or allow them to defrost first?

We bake them from frozen - they actually taste better / have a better texture than the rolls baked in-store.

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We bake them from frozen - they actually taste better / have a better texture than the rolls baked in-store.

Thanks Chook, I'll give them a go - if they agree to sell any uncooked ones!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In my local Lidl they are used to it - they sell a lot of their croissants and other rolls still frozen in bags of a dozen.