1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Spiral cutters from Lidl

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Resurgam, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was in my local Lidl and saw that they had a set of three cutters - very cheap.
    One cuts strips and the other two do coarse or fine strands. You just stick the vege into the end and twist, nothing fancy but from testing on my salad yesterday they work well.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know - I'm going to Lidl tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Ooh, I might invest. And thanks for the recommendation of the protein rolls, I sent out yesterday for four and I managed to get half of one roll before the family nabbed the rest! Very tasty and satisfying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Chook

They freeze very well (better than normal bread) - I usually slice them before freezing.

If asked, Lidl will sell the frozen unbaked rolls in packs of 12 (for the same price). We freeze three ones unbaked then pop them in the oven for 25mins @ gas mark 5 when we need them. They really hit the spot if you enjoy warm, freshly baked bread.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, @Chook, I've not thought to ask for the rolls unbaked - will try that next time I go to Lidl. Do you bake from frozen, or allow them to defrost first?

6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Always good to know, thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bulk freeze the Lidl rolls (in individual plastic bags) then thaw them over night.

Fresh or frozen/thawed, before eating I run them under the tap then pop them in the fan oven for 10 minutes at 150C.

This freshens them up nicely and also sterilises them (often a good thing when bread is from open racks).

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Chook

We bake them from frozen - they actually taste better / have a better texture than the rolls baked in-store.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks Chook, I'll give them a go - if they agree to sell any uncooked ones!!

10. Chook

In my local Lidl they are used to it - they sell a lot of their croissants and other rolls still frozen in bags of a dozen.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook