Newly diagnosed but confused by the diabetic nurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will we ever be told the Real Truth as to where the NHS money has gone / is going.....I doubt it.
With respect to T2 diabetes only, a great deal of money is spent establishing wrong/no dietary advice, making three million people ill and giving them tablets that don't do anything except giving quite a lot of people adverse side effects. Also, those three million people (UK) have foot checks, eye checks, blood tests, courses on how to avoid fat and while they are at it they are given blood pressure pills.

The papers by Dr David Unwin are revealing. He and his wife took a group of patients, put them on low carb while he weaned them off of pills he didn't think they needed. He now has a group of lighter patients who feel well and he has saved a lot of money. I haven't got the exact figure but I think it's around £40,000 all because he uses fewer pills.

If all of that was rolled out across the country we wouldn't have the impending disaster which is repeatedly forecast.

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I had a letter from my GP in June saying my blood test results showed my sugar levels were high. Booked in to see diabetic nurse who confirmed me as officially T2 diabetic. During the course of the very short appointment she told me she didn't want me to use a tester. How can I monitor my blood sugar levels without testing? She's going to see me again in "3 months" to decide if I need treatment but I feel as though they're not that bothered. I'm concerned because about 5 years ago I saw my previous GP because I have numbness and tingling in both my big toes but they didn't seem perturbed by that and didn't test for diabetes at the time. I don't feel I've been offered any support at all. Fortunately my husband is insulin dependent so knows a bit about it. Meanwhile, am I getting more nerve damage the longer I leave it untreated?
If you have type 2 visit your GP (take charge, it's your body and know body has a greater interest in it than you) and insist they supply either the tester or at least the test strips that you require, but ensure you read up before hand tel 0800-701000 and I've used most of them all of worth over the past 43 years. I'd suggest this model or ease and travel as the Accu-chek mobile as it does not require test strips for every test as it's a cartridge style 50 per pack and the finger device is both soft click and records the data for you. The others are very similar, but hope this helps. PS if the GP do not supply the actual tester, just buy it as the real cost is the test cassettes in any case. The batteries are issued free by Accu-check

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
The first test showed HbA1c was 65 - I was asked to do another after 4 weeks and that was 55. I remember her saying at my appt that it needed to be 42 or less. I used to eat **** every evening but of course stopped it all. Of course I still eat carbs because it's part of a balanced diet but I've cut out all the late evening snacks and sweets and lost a stone in the process (so not all bad). I have a tester but they won't prescribe the testing strips. Thanks for all your replies - it's a great help
I'm not getting this, it pays to look after your body and as I advised someone else just a few minutes ago

If you have a confirmed type 2 visit your GP (take charge, it's your body and know body has a greater interest in it than you) and insist they supply either the new tester or at least the test strips that you require, please ensure you read up before hand suggest tel 0800-701000 and I've used them all of worth over the past 43 years. I'd suggest this model or ease and travel as the Accu-chek mobile as it does not require test strips for every test as it's a cartridge style with 50 tapes per pack and the finger device is both soft click and records the data for you. The others are all very similar, but hope this helps. PS if the GP does not supply the tester, just buy it outright as the real cost (as you rightly state) is in the test cassettes. Keep testing and keep cool, but it already sounds like you have improved your diet. Things could be worse I'm type 1 (43 years) with Coeliac 2 months now that's a challenge I can assure you. Kind regards Mr B

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
Is there such a thing as a testing strip free monitor?
Yes the Freestype Librelink, but not available at present on prescription. Next best option is the Accu-chek mobile this model for ease and travel as the Accu-chek mobile as it does not require test strips for every test as it's a cartridge style with 50 tapes per pack and the finger device is both soft click and records the data for you. The others are all very similar, but hope this helps. PS if the GP does not supply the tester, just buy it outright as the real cost (as you rightly state) is in the test cassettes. Keep testing and keep cool. Kind regards Mr B.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re my earlier post. I have looked up the All Party Parliamentary Group on Diabetes minutes and stole this paragraph.

"There are 6 GPs in the Norwood practice. They are the cheapest practice in Southport in terms of their drugs bill for diabetic patients and yet they are getting wonderful results: 74% of their patients with T2D have the highest level of control of their diabetes, despite the fact that the practice is spending £40,000 less each year than other practices (see slide 2)."

Dr David Unwin and his wife are driving this initiative.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Re my earlier post. I have looked up the All Party Parliamentary Group on Diabetes minutes and stole this paragraph.

"There are 6 GPs in the Norwood practice. They are the cheapest practice in Southport in terms of their drugs bill for diabetic patients and yet they are getting wonderful results: 74% of their patients with T2D have the highest level of control of their diabetes, despite the fact that the practice is spending £40,000 less each year than other practices (see slide 2)."

Dr David Unwin and his wife are driving this initiative.

I'm so pleased he's getting recognition for this - he really put his job on the line!! Well done that man.

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With respect to T2 diabetes only, a great deal of money is spent establishing wrong/no dietary advice, making three million people ill and giving them tablets that don't do anything except giving quite a lot of people adverse side effects. Also, those three million people (UK) have foot checks, eye checks, blood tests, courses on how to avoid fat and while they are at it they are given blood pressure pills.

The papers by Dr David Unwin are revealing. He and his wife took a group of patients, put them on low carb while he weaned them off of pills he didn't think they needed. He now has a group of lighter patients who feel well and he has saved a lot of money. I haven't got the exact figure but I think it's around £40,000 all because he uses fewer pills.

If all of that was rolled out across the country we wouldn't have the impending disaster which is repeatedly forecast.

I am desperate to avoid Metformin which has made my husband nauseous for 15 years!

I'm also struggling on the exercise bit because I have really bad knees and hips. However, I've just pumped the bike tyres up and will have a go. Not sure the sight of a 63 year old wobbling on a bike will be good for the locals but hey ho!!

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes the Freestype Librelink, but not available at present on prescription. Next best option is the Accu-chek mobile this model for ease and travel as the Accu-chek mobile as it does not require test strips for every test as it's a cartridge style with 50 tapes per pack and the finger device is both soft click and records the data for you. The others are all very similar, but hope this helps. PS if the GP does not supply the tester, just buy it outright as the real cost (as you rightly state) is in the test cassettes. Keep testing and keep cool. Kind regards Mr B.

I've just purchased the Codefree tester - the strips seem reasonably priced so I cope with that.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jackie, I can't exercise either (arthritis) so I know where you are coming from. Last time I tried riding a bike I fell off.

As far as I am concerned the low carb way of eating is the only way I keep my blood glucose down to the levels I've achieved in the last couple of years. In that time I've come off of most of my T2 meds, including not now having to inject insulin 5-7 times a day. Its a life changer. x

Reactions: JackieCarroll

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done on reducing your numbers. About those carbs being part of a healthy diet, well that is fine for healthy non diabetics but for us it is important to limit the amount of carbs especially by cutting out potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and anything made of white flour. Fruit is also high in sugars. By doing this you lower your blood glucose and lose weight. If you are able to take excercise (bearing in mind your angina - best to speak with your gp about this before you start a new regime) then that will speed up your drop in blood glucose.
I know it is a lot to take in at first but stick with us, we are all in this together.

I have a strange diet. I don't eat breakfast except the occasional fry up at the weekend (which strangely doesn't increase my levels too much), I have a sandwich for lunch (has always been brown bread) and two satsumas or tangerines and a meal in the evening. I suspect my T2 was through the snacks and sweets I would eat in the evenings. I don't ever (and never have done) drink non-diet fizzy drinks. I always eat brown rice and have now started eating brown pasta (which is gross).

I am confident I can lick this and get back to normal ranges but the craving for sweets is immense :(

I appreciate your help y'all - thank you.

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jackie, I can't exercise either (arthritis) so I know where you are coming from. Last time I tried riding a bike I fell off.

As far as I am concerned the low carb way of eating is the only way I keep my blood glucose down to the levels I've achieved in the last couple of years. In that time I've come off of most of my T2 meds, including not now having to inject insulin 5-7 times a day. Its a life changer. x

I might ride in the dark so no-one can see me :)

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @JackieCarroll

Unless you are prescribed a test meter and strips by your doctor (unlikely), it is a top priority that get yourself one and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

Hope this helps

Sorted - thank you :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a strange diet. I don't eat breakfast except the occasional fry up at the weekend (which strangely doesn't increase my levels too much), I have a sandwich for lunch (has always been brown bread) and two satsumas or tangerines and a meal in the evening. I suspect my T2 was through the snacks and sweets I would eat in the evenings. I don't ever (and never have done) drink non-diet fizzy drinks. I always eat brown rice and have now started eating brown pasta (which is gross).

I am confident I can lick this and get back to normal ranges but the craving for sweets is immense :(

Sorry to say, but its most likely to be the bread in the lunchtime sandwich and the fruit - although snacks and sweets won't help. Brown rice sends my BG very high as down brown pasta.

The reason your fry up isn't increase your levels is because a fry up (apart from baked beans and fried bread) is mainly low carb.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have a strange diet. I don't eat breakfast except the occasional fry up at the weekend (which strangely doesn't increase my levels too much), I have a sandwich for lunch (has always been brown bread) and two satsumas or tangerines and a don't in the evening. I suspect my T2 was through the snacks and sweets I would eat in the evenings. I don't ever (and never have done) drink non-diet fizzy drinks. I always eat brown rice and have now started eating brown pasta (which is gross).

You will find the cravings for sweeties etc at first very hard to ignore but it is surprising just how quickly your body will get used to not having them. When I first cut all the treats out it was only about a month of craving then it slowly subsided to this point in time I really don't think about it unless I am in the cake aisle of M&S.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Surely you can't stop eating fruit? How do you get vitamin c and stuff?

Lot of green vegs, berries (blue berries etc) are also OK. fruit a few times a week may be OK for you, but never fruit juice.

If you cut out carbs what do you eat that won't leave you hungry after an hour? Salads are not the answer for me

Meat, fish, cheese, olives, without trying to avoid fat. Also, put a little butter on your veg.

Common-Foods-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg

Fruits-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg

see also https://phcuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Fruits-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg and https://phcuk.org/wp-content/upload...Lifestyle-For-Weight-Loss-Patient-Booklet.pdf

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you cut out carbs what do you eat that won't leave you hungry after an hour? Salads are not the answer for me.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I mainly have a salad for lunch with meat, cheese, fish or some other kind of protein.

My evening meal tends to be hot veg (cauli, broccoli, runner beans, any above ground veg) with chops, steak, salmon fillets - sometimes I'll make a bolognaise or chilli and have that with cauli rice. I've been low carbing for two years and got my blood down from 32+ down to the 4s, 5s and 6s.

My husband (bless him) decided my food looked nicer than his so he voluntarily asked to eat the same as me. (He's not T2)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Putting the costs of testing into perspective

I test 3-10 times per day, depending what I'm trying to figure out.

I buy an expresso coffee at my local cafe around 5 times per week this costs me £5, which is about how much it costs me to test. I'm far from rich so buy test strips with very close sell by dates when I can.

I know everyone is not in the fortunate position to be able to afford coffee nor to be ill in the UK due to the ongoing privatisation of the NHS. Sometimes life is not easy, we do what we can. At least here the information is given genourously and openheartedly.