Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you!

What has really helped me is using dexcom. And previous to dexcom I used libre. I only started using them a couple of months ago.

Even if you can't afford to use it full time, you can ask your dsn or hospital to have a libre trial. If they don't do that you could just buy one libre sensor (£48) if you have an android phone.

I really recommend dexcom. I know how hard it is to get your a1c down. Dexcom and libre have shown me what is going on between finger pricks. It isnt easy and I am doing up to 10 injections a day. My hypos have reduced though and most importantly I am not high every day. Before I yoyo'd from 2-30 on a regular basis. Now I rarely go above 13 and when I do go above 10, I know straight away and do a correction so I am down within an hour.

I feel much better physically. Good luck :)

Thanks for all the advice! I am currently on the libre and starting to correct more but I do think a switch to the dexcom would help a lot!! Hopefully I'll be able to purchase one soon!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.6% :) :)
Down from 5.1% last time. I am really happy with this, especially since I have been struggling with my control a bit and expected a slight increase. I didn't even think this was possible until I got it!

Reactions: CHIET1

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5 DNs for a six monthly review must be some new record.

40, up from usual 37. Just started laughing when they said they wanted to see it higher next time. :woot:

Gemmy31

Hi All new here , recently diagnosed a few months ago, feel like a genuine pig with the injections my level as of yesterday was 120, said it was high anyone have advice on how I can bring this down ?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.9% today. 6.5% in February. My current 30 day average blood sugar on my meter (usually pre-meal, AM, bedtime) is 6.5 in UK units. A1C has never been over 6.5 but I went years without checking it at all, just my averages (which don't change much either).

Reactions: phdiabetic

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
On DX 10.1 3.5 years ago, 3 months later 7.0, then 5.3 - 5.8 over past three years. last test almost 6 months ago was 5.5, expecting a high 5 or low 6 at next test in 4 weeks time as a result of high BS experienced in last month. Things are back on track this week, so hopefully 4 weeks of good BS readings will help keep it in that range. I find it is always a good motivator to get a good reading at the Hba1c test, I am always dissapointed when it goes up from the last test. That is my competitive nature I suppose.

Reactions: phdiabetic

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
4.6% :) :)
Down from 5.1% last time. I am really happy with this, especially since I have been struggling with my control a bit and expected a slight increase. I didn't even think this was possible until I got it!

Congratulations, that is amazing! Are you on a very low carb diet?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations, that is amazing! Are you on a very low carb diet?
Thanks! No I eat plenty of carbs :) At least 100g per day, usually around 120g per day, but no more than 180g or so. I tried a low carb diet once but it didn't work for me at all (numbers were the same, or even worse, and I was always hungry and felt hypo even when I was at a normal number. The main issues with my control come from changing basal needs rather than spiking after meals, so low carb was pretty useless).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of doctors say different as well. Some say aim for your sugar level to be between 4-8 and some say 4-7. I know its only one but still, lol.
you ideally want an HBA1C of around 6, a little higher if you're prone to hypos. An average over 3 months of 6 may not be as perfect as it sounds if individual tests are fluctuating anywhere between 2 and 15!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your H test results?

Mine is 7.1mmol
After 55 years of type one, I think you are all worrying far too much! All of these HBA1Cs are absolutely fine in my experience. Anywhere between 5 and 7 (or 31 and 53) Some of you trying to force it to be lower are in danger of becoming neurotic about it! Providing that your own tests at home are not fluctuating between extremes and you aren't having frequent hypos, stop fretting!

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is 35, the consultant was not happy and gave me a lecture which was totally irrelevant as he could see I don't have many hypos and I have excellent hypo awareness.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is 35, the consultant was not happy and gave me a lecture which was totally irrelevant as he could see I don't have many hypos and I have excellent hypo awareness.
As you have just observed, they aren't always right! Diabetes is very individual. 35 for you sounds fine but in another person, it could mean lots of hypos with high readings in between. At the end of the day, I suppose it's a judgement we each must make according to our own situation.

Reactions: Freema

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you have just observed, they aren't always right! Diabetes is very individual. 35 for you sounds fine but in another person, it could mean lots of hypos with high readings in between. At the end of the day, I suppose it's a judgement we each must make according to our own situation.
He had my numbers from my meter and I had already said how much I feel. he wasn't even interested in asking me any questions, luckily he is retiring!

Skim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think the lower the better.. but you need to make sure you are not having many hypos.. if you are having highs and lows then your hba1c reading doesn't tell the true story. A good hba1c only means less or little diabetes damage if you don't have many swings