Christmas

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well, it's not that far off that time of year. How do you guys manage at Christmas time? I must admit I find it rather daunting just eating turkey and veg on Christmas day. What do you do about buffets at Christmas?. I know that we can have cold meats cheese.prawns, salmon etc. I have decided to have my proper roast dinner one day a year with potatoes lol.. How about you lovely people?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it's not that far off that time of year. How do you guys manage at Christmas time? I must admit I find it rather daunting just eating turkey and veg on Christmas day. What do you do about buffets at Christmas?. I know that we can have cold meats cheese.prawns, salmon etc. I have decided to have my proper roast dinner one day a year with potatoes lol.. How about you lovely people?

My meter gets locked away on Christmas Day! Does that answer your question? :)

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I recall a post sometime ago from a lady who was T1, who likened her management of D - to cleaning teeth, which still resonates with me.

If you maintain a good regime of cleaning your teeth, twice a day, 2 minutes etc etc, you are extremely likely to maintain good dental health and should not require much intervention. If however on the odd occasion you miss cleaning your teeth, it doesn't mean your teeth will immediately decay and drop out overnight .... but you mouth might feel a bit fuzzy, however once you clean them and are back on your regime, all is good again with no real damage done!

If you are being strictly observant of the rules ..... Isn't Christmas Day a bit like not cleaning your teeth here??????

Just a 'metaphorical' thought!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Christmas is not for another four months. Temperatures are in the high thirties where I am and Christmas is the last thing on my mind. Allowing yourself sone slack for a day want kill you anyway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My meter gets locked away on Christmas Day! Does that answer your question? :)
Sooo funny. Yes I am going to do the same thing, maybe for boxing day also,but will be better behaved on Boxing day. I thought if I am going to be strict all year, Christmas has to be when I relax

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a long way off! lol I do slacken off slightly as in my Christmas lunch will have a parsnip a roastie and 1 spoonful of pud. I don't indulge in anything else except of the red wine kind as if my bs goes higher I feel lousy anyway so not worth it.

BUT Boxing Day is my indulgence day as I love my lunch of cold turkey and ham with real homemade pickles, chutney etc and some lovely big fat homemade chips with a half of slice of white bread - very naughty very indulging but it is definitely a once a year thing - followed by a nice looooong walk in the lakes- then its back on plan. I don't eat chocs, sweets puddings etc - maybe some good cheese but that's it really

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Every year I think to myself that I will eat what I want on Christmas Day and every year I find myself still low carbing - its automatic now. But I do have treats - I make a low carb Christmas cake, chocolate truffles made with brandy, whisky and rum (not all together) and I make a low carb baked lemon cheesecake.

As for a buffet - last Christmas I had a buffet party and not one single person (except for Mr Chook) realised that every item on that table was suitable for my very low carb way of eating.

Best of all, I didn't fall in to a semi coma after dinner like I did most years when I ate carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last Christmas Day, for dinner (lunch time) I ate what I wanted, including roast spuds, gravy, yorkies, peas etc. None of us likes Christmas Pudding or Christmas Cake, and we were all too full to manage any other dessert. I did, however, eat my share of Quality Street chocs and After Eights. The aperitif before dinner was a tot of Honey Rum (very sweet), and far more red wine than is good for us before, during, and after.

People asked me to test them, so I was obliged to retrieve my meter from the drawer. 2.5 hours after starting to eat, my BS was 5.6. I almost fainted. ;) The non-diabetics that wanted testing were 5.7, 6.5 and 7.3. So I just won. It wasn't scientific because we ate different amounts of everything and the 6.5 had a vegan meal. The 7.3 was drinking lager, not wine. I didn't test again until bedtime, when I was 5.3. I was chuffed to bits, but do realise the spikes would probably have been huge at some point.

Tannith

BANNED
Last Christmas Day, for dinner (lunch time) I ate what I wanted, including roast spuds, gravy, yorkies, peas etc. None of us likes Christmas Pudding or Christmas Cake, and we were all too full to manage any other dessert. I did, however, eat my share of Quality Street chocs and After Eights. The aperitif before dinner was a tot of Honey Rum (very sweet), and far more red wine than is good for us before, during, and after.

People asked me to test them, so I was obliged to retrieve my meter from the drawer. 2.5 hours after starting to eat, my BS was 5.6. I almost fainted. ;) The non-diabetics that wanted testing were 5.7, 6.5 and 7.3. So I just won. It wasn't scientific because we ate different amounts of everything and the 6.5 had a vegan meal. The 7.3 was drinking lager, not wine. I didn't test again until bedtime, when I was 5.3. I was chuffed to bits, but do realise the spikes would probably have been huge at some point.
Could you have reversed your diabetes with all that weight loss a while back?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you have reversed your diabetes with all that weight loss a while back?

It would be lovely to think so, but I am assuming the wine had something to do with it! (keeping my liver very busy)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, that will be the next public holiday, so guess it is ok to be thinking about it.

The way I deal with it has changed. I find I really detest all the boozy carby foods that seem to be obligatory throughout December. This change in my palate has been since discovering low carb eating. If we are going out socially, I make sure I have eaten before we go. Then I have no need to indulge in food offered. Unless it is a sit down meal with friends, all of whom have been made aware of low carb eating, and oblige by providing for me. Many of them are enjoying low carb eating themselves. For health reasons I am no longer able to drink alcohol, which makes me ever more popular as the designated driver when we go out.

Our Christmas day, I still enjoy a traditional dinner with family. I decided ages ago that turkey is over-rated, so have a selection of meats such as rib of beef, pork with crackling, and gammon. I happen to love sprouts, so stir fry them with chesnuts, shallots and a dusting of nutmeg. I can live without potatoes, but just to be sociable will have a small piece of roast parsnip and carrot. There are small Christmas puddings for those that want them, but for me, it is 'pass the cheeseboard this way'.

The main thing is that we as a family have all made Christmas just one day, rather than several weeks anticipation, then gorging, then continuing through to new year and beyond until the excess supplies of food and drink have been consumed. Saves us from feeling sluggish well into new year, and saves a fortune as we are buying less food and drink.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just eat more of the low carb foods and maybe a taste of some others. Carbs make me feel awful. And if it were only one day that would be great but the consequences can last almost a week for me.

It's easy as I'm the cook lol. I LOVE lamb chops, roasted broccoli and asparagus, salad and I do make rosemary roasted sweet potatoes for the carb eaters. Dessert is usually dark choco strawberries. Nobody I cook for wants tons of food. Most are health conscious eaters and have put the 20 dish meal tradition behind us.

Of course there's plenty of wine to go around.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Now I need a mince pie...

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Best of all, I didn't fall in to a semi coma after dinner like I did most years when I ate carbs.

This is sooooooo spooky. I to fall into a semi coma after Christmas dinner ..... however I confess it is probably not down to carbs ..... maybe something else I ate (or more than likely) drank! - hic!

Reactions: Kristin251

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well, it's not that far off that time of year. How do you guys manage at Christmas time?

Blimey Christmas, that is the earliest anyone has started a thread discussing what they are going to eat on the day :)

I'm a type 1 and don't low-carb so will enjoy most of the festive food on offer (within reason). @derry60 here's a thread from last year where members discuss their Christmas and what they've eaten:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/christmas-and-christmas-day-and-food.113209/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The main thing is that we as a family have all made Christmas just one day, rather than several weeks anticipation, then gorging, then continuing through to new year and beyond until the excess supplies of food and drink have been consumed. Saves us from feeling sluggish well into new year, and saves a fortune as we are buying less food and drink.

100% the same as us, with the exception of New Years Eve as that is also my birthday.

And that is it. No pre-Christmas celebrations, which is easier if you are retired. Nothing different between Christmas Day and New Years Eve. Normal from then on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
100% the same as us, with the exception of New Years Eve as that is also my birthday.

And that is it. No pre-Christmas celebrations, which is easier if you are retired. Nothing different between Christmas Day and New Years Eve. Normal from then on.

Oh good. Thought everyone would consider our way to be a bit 'Bah, humbug'!
I agree it is much simpler when retired. No more tedious office parties and nights out, when you have to pretend you are enjoying spending lots of money with people you would rather not be with. Then there is always a fight, someone drinking too much and embarassing themself. Don't get me started on the flaming secret santa stuff. :banghead::bag:;)
Bah, bah, humbug.:D

B

badcat

Thankfully no-one in my family likes traditional Christmas fare ( with the exception of mince pies which a few eat as afters following main meal) and we have a somewhat multi racial family. The traditional Christmas day meal in our family is deep fried crispy tofu with chilli sauce and stir fried vegetables

Reactions: covknit and Pipp

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Christmas day will be one of my days off from diabetes I will eat drink and be merry like every other Christmas day I have ever celebrated.