1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Christmas

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by derry60, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Christmas is time to enjoy the company of family and friends and good food. I believe it's how you eat most of the time that counts.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't drink, but shall be eating and being merry with the rest of them. I figure that everyone else can have a drink hangover, I'll have a food hangover... and I'm just fine with that!

3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We will have the same as last year. A barbecue in the back yard with fish, mud crabs, prawns and salads for lunch.

Then for dinner, just cold meat ham and chicken and left over salad and seafood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bluecurlylegend

bluecurlylegend Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

OK, that's Christmas and New Year sorted.

What are we going to do for Easter ? Any suggestions for replacing Cadbury Crème Eggs ?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Not so fast! What about pancake day?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm planning on relaxing a little on Christmas Day. I had been diagnosed last Christmas but at that point had no meter and had not gone fully low carb so this year will be the first proper Christmas since diagnosis.

I don't like a lot of the traditional Christmas things including mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding so not eating those is no challenge at all. Potatoes are likely to be my biggest downfall along with crackers with cheese in the evening. We go to my Dad's wife's mother's house on Christmas Day so there is an element of fitting in and fewer low carb alternatives. For the rest of the holiday while I'm at my dads, I'll do a food order so that the foods I prefer are available (my dad has early stage dementia so expecting him to get his head around LCHF is not really fair).

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ha!! Count me in ! Sulker in chief here!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. bluecurlylegend

bluecurlylegend Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

10. Humma

Humma Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Once a year bang the insulin in and eat the lot emmmmmmmm

11. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I stick to my food plan ..having my customary yoghurt after my main meal ..nevertheless happy that those around me tuck in their ✻Xmas fare✻

But I have a dark side to my personality ..when I see another diabetic, particularly on a ✻diet, exercise & tablets✻ regimen thinking they're clever breaking the unwritten-rules I don't like it. I don't say anything, but I definitely don't like it.

12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Easter? I was diagnosed in the mid 1970's.. Remember those Easter eggs that came cradled in a tea mug??
    Well... I always got themed socks in a mug.... Normally the theme of the sock didn't tie in with the glazing on the receptacle..

.... I also felt that one of my sisters was probably tucking into the egg that should have come with the cup?
    It's the gift that keeps on giving!

• Hug Hug x 1
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Fruit mince pies for xmas have been on sale in our major food stores for the last couple of days, same goes for trees and decorations. :meh:

Easter eggs and hot x buns go on sale boxing day... :***:

14. Jaylee

Staff Member

I used to work in food retail... The expiry date on the "early" mince pies was normally dated the end of October!?! :wacky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Parisemo

Parisemo Type 1 · Active Member

I guess it depends if your type 1 or 2 ? For type 1 it's easier if you overdo it a little you can balance it out with a couple of units of insulin. Low carbon I guess is harder. I never eat buffet as some people do not wash their hands, pick food up change their minds and put it back. NO, NO, NO not for me thanks, I take my own food.

16. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

This was over a year ago...Have come a long way since then lol..The buffet would of just been for my 2 sons and my husband and I.

17. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was playing at a Christmas party last night, had ham and salad and berries - then later on was tempted by what I thought was going to be a strawberry something - it was not-butter lots of sugar creme and sugary sponge - I actually threw it in the bin it was so disgusting, and needed a drink of squash to get rid of the taste.
    The foods 'safe' for a type two like me are the good ones.

18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It was a great idea by your parents, though. Sisters eh? Pfft!

19. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Wow, thread revisited. Brought out of the loft with the deccies? :D

My attitude remains Bah humbug, grinchy. I have, however, discovered that my aged body can now tolerate well red wine and spirits. I still won't be overindulging, though. I prefer feeling well and alert, rather than slumped in armchair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jaylee

Staff Member

Lol, yeah it was really. But the socks tended to be Disney style with Winnie the Pooh doing something un bear like in a red tee?
    I hated the creature. He always spoke like Woody Allen with his head in a bucket?
    Years later after a discussion over the matter where my mum said "but you like Pooh." I owned up that I didn't & never liked Pooh, or any of his little mates for that matter..
    I own so many socks & mugs it had to stop. ;)

My sisters were alright. :):cool:
    We're down with my sisters & mum this coming Christmas. There's plenty of assorted meats to pick at..

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook