Diabetes and becoming a paramedic

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a type 1 diabetic for almost 12 years, I managed to secure a place at university to train as a paramedic, only to be told two weeks before my start date that due to an error from occupational health they hadn't flagged up my diabetes, therefore I was unable on the grounds of my diabetes to train as a paramedic as I wouldn't be given a job at the end.

This is due to DVLA regulations stating as an insulin dependant diabetic I am not allowed to complete my blue light training (allowing me to drive an ambulance).

Since my diagnoses I was always told that diabetes will never hold me back or stop me achieving my goals in life, although now, my dreams have been taken away from me. I have started a petition to get the law changed and allow people with diabetes to train and drive as a paramedic as this is something I'm driven to achieve.

https://www.change.org/p/dvla-allow...m_campaign=tap_basic_share&utm_term=triggered

Thanks
India

3319370fd128c62eed9b309c3bedc0f6.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been a type 1 diabetic for almost 12 years, I managed to secure a place at university to train as a paramedic, only to be told two weeks before my start date that due to an error from occupational health they hadn't flagged up my diabetes, therefore I was unable on the grounds of my diabetes to train as a paramedic as I wouldn't be given a job at the end.

Well they've got that wrong, have a read of the following:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/hea...aramedic-after-driving-ban-fight-9668263.html

Reactions: azure

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah, I've read this article. Unfortunately her situation is different as she was diagnosed during her training, she is now working as a fully qualified paramedic which does give me hope. I'm waiting a decision from the ambulance service themselves now x

Sensible thing to do contacting the Ambulance Service and ask for clarification.

We've had a few threads like this over the years, there was another from a Policeman who had type 1 and managed to over-turn a ban on him driving under blue lights, the charity Diabetes UK has been campaigning for years on a change in the law and has succeeded in doing so, maybe you should contact DUK and see if they can assist you in any way.

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensible thing to do contacting the Ambulance Service and ask for clarification.

We've had a few threads like this over the years, there was another from a Policeman who had type 1 and managed to over-turn a ban on him driving under blue lights, the charity Diabetes UK has been campaigning for years on a change in the law and has succeeded in doing so, maybe you should contact DUK and see if they can assist you in any way.

That's reassuring to know, I will contact them directly and see what they can do to help. Thank you x

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a dream and an ambition to train and work as a paramedic all my life. I secured myself a place at university, due to start my training in September 2017, only to be told two weeks before that as an insulin dependant diabetic I cannot train as a paramedic as I would not be employed by an ambulance trust, due to me not being allowed to complete my blue light training (allowing me to drive an ambulance). Receiving this news has completley slashed my dreams of pursuing the career I've dreamed of thriving in all my life, because whatever I do, I cannot become a paramedic. Yes, I am aware of the issues of being diabetic and driving, but as a well controlled diabetic, what is really stopping me? I'm wanting the law changing, I want the DVLA to recognise that each diabetic controls their illness differently, therefore everyone should be assessed individually, because right now, there is no way I can train as a paramedic and I don't want my illness to stop me achieving this.

https://www.change.org/p/dvla-allow...tm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=triggered
11f2c4ab5ca798728a472bef30ad8f35.jpg

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched a BBC 3 programme a few years ago that followed student paramedics on the job with their mentors, one of the students was type 1 diabetic and he was allowed to be a paramedic? I don't think he was driving but crews are always in pairs so I don't see why you should have an issue.

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched a BBC 3 programme a few years ago that followed student paramedics on the job with their mentors, one of the students was type 1 diabetic and he was allowed to be a paramedic? I don't think he was driving but crews are always in pairs so I don't see why you should have an issue.

I've seen a few cases and read a few articles regarding diabetics working as paramedics and they've fought for their right to work using disability discrimination, which is why i'm campaigning and fighting hard for my place Ill have to try find the programme though, thank you!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was unable on the grounds of my diabetes to train as a paramedic as I wouldn't be given a job at the end.

Thank you for wanting to do a very worthwhile and important job, I wish you all the very best in your endeavours.

It's never straight forward, as if being type I isn't difficult enough, being a paramedic is also very tough. I recently watched several programs from the "Gadget Show" series where they were coming up with different gadgets to make the lives of two paramedics easier and less stressful. The one element of being a paramedic that came across loud and clear was the irregular, long hours and the irregular meal times.

I'm sure with your determination that would just be a small bump in the road where you have to make adaptions to your habits to cope. I can see that something like a FreeStyle Libre would be invaluable, albeit expensive. I can understand why the powers that be don't readily accept everybody/anybody with type I. It's up to you to prove that it's their loss, you're made of stronger stuff, you have to prove them wrong.

After all the Prime Minister is type I, and she's got the futures of the whole country in her hands, I haven't noticed anyone objecting to that. She may not be leading us into a car smash, but something almost as bad.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck, Ive signed and shred to fb. I know a number of paramedics including air ambulance I'll see if they can sign.

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
indiaemily, good luck & I hope it works out for you, Ive been in ambulance service nearly 20yrs and know several diabetics in my service and others, admittedly mostly type 2 but a few type 1's are in the job & can drive.. it's not impossible, but you may have to fight..
the link noblehead put up was a landmark case & helped several people in the job & a few like you wanting to join.. where in the country are you? ie trust & Uni?

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for wanting to do a very worthwhile and important job, I wish you all the very best in your endeavours.

It's never straight forward, as if being type I isn't difficult enough, being a paramedic is also very tough. I recently watched several programs from the "Gadget Show" series where they were coming up with different gadgets to make the lives of two paramedics easier and less stressful. The one element of being a paramedic that came across loud and clear was the irregular, long hours and the irregular meal times.

I'm sure with your determination that would just be a small bump in the road where you have to make adaptions to your habits to cope. I can see that something like a FreeStyle Libre would be invaluable, albeit expensive. I can understand why the powers that be don't readily accept everybody/anybody with type I. It's up to you to prove that it's their loss, you're made of stronger stuff, you have to prove them wrong.

After all the Prime Minister is type I, and she's got the futures of the whole country in her hands, I haven't noticed anyone objecting to that. She may not be leading us into a car smash, but something almost as bad.

Thank you for your support! Thankfully I'm used to the long, unsocial hours as I work as a support worker and have done for a few years so I've managed to adapt myself and my diabetes around the shift work. I'm definitely wanting the Libre eventually as I had a trial for it and it was absolutely amazing. And I'm very determined to achieve my goal in completing my training so I am aiming to prove to whoever I need to that I'm fully capable of working as a paramedic. Thanks again

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
indiaemily, good luck & I hope it works out for you, Ive been in ambulance service nearly 20yrs and know several diabetics in my service and others, admittedly mostly type 2 but a few type 1's are in the job & can drive.. it's not impossible, but you may have to fight..
the link noblehead put up was a landmark case & helped several people in the job & a few like you wanting to join.. where in the country are you? ie trust & Uni?

Thank you! I am going to fight for it and i'm 100% determined to try and achieve my goal however hard or long it takes. I'm near Leeds, so would be with YAS and I had secured a place at the University of Bradford, thanks again