I was Type 1 all along

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Indeed...I have had diabetes for 56 years and am now finding that I have 1 sided conversations with gps which relate to type 2 diabetes. They obviously think I am mistaken when I say I was diagnosed as type 1 in 1961...........!!!!!
Seriously? You must be so exasperated. You're technically an expert in your own condition, and they're telling you that you're wrong? Madness!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Now I have also developed hypothyroidism (another autoimmune condition) as well as type 1, doctors insist on labelling me as having metabolic syndrome. I reply by telling them that both conditions developed as my body's autoimmune reactions to both the cells that produce insulin and thyroxine........

Last edited:

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Seriously? You must be so exasperated. You're technically an expert in your own condition, and they're telling you that you're wrong? Madness!
1 doctor (at hospital) started shouting at me and said I probably thought I knew everything about diabetes (I hadn't even opened my mouth) but that he knew all about diabetes clinically. I assumed he was competitive........? I have just developed resilience.....

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
1 doctor (at hospital) started shouting at me and said I probably thought I knew everything about diabetes (I hadn't even opened my mouth) but that he knew all about diabetes clinically. I assumed he was competitive........? I have just developed resilience.....
That made me laugh. Sounds like you've developed resilience to doctors Some are idiots and don't listen to their patients and assume their patients don't know anything. Grr.
I'd like to have the Southampton doc, Dr Unwin as my doc. He actually understand the ketogenic diet and encourages his patients to go on it.

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
This is really a very good discussion between type1 and type2. So can someone clarify that uncontrolled type2 lead to type1. Now when you say uncontrolled type2, what does that mean? Does it mean with people who are type 2 and on medication like metaformin will still get high bg ? So when you say high BG, what number are we talking about here? >6 or > 7 or > 8? Or any other number?

Regards

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
This is really a very good discussion between type1 and type2. So can someone clarify that uncontrolled type2 lead to type1. Now when you say uncontrolled type2, what does that mean? Does it mean with people who are type 2 and on medication like metaformin will still get high bg ? So when you say high BG, what number are we talking about here? >6 or > 7 or > 8? Or any other number?

Regards

No. It can't. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition. Unmanaged type 2 (increased insulin resistance leasing to the need for more and more insulin) results in high blood glucose levels for too long which results in the death of beta cells. As a result insulin is required. This is not type 1.

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No. It can't. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition. Unmanaged type 2 (increased insulin resistance leasing to the need for more and more insulin) results in high blood glucose levels for too long which results in the death of beta cells. As a result insulin is required. This is not type 1.

Thanks for your quick reply. So what BG level number are we looking at here? What I mean is if your body can't produce insulin, up to what level BG go up in terms of numbers?

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your quick reply. So what BG level number are we looking at here? What I mean is if your body can't produce insulin, up to what level BG go up in terms of numbers?
If your body can't produce insulin, or are high insulin resistant, then you could head up to 30+ on your BS (very dangerous/coma territory).
A few years ago I had a particularly large carby meal with pudding and sweets and things. I must have forgotten my insulin as when I was feeling awful I tested my bs and it was 27!!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was hospitalised - didn't know I had type 1. The glucose reader in the GP surgery just read 'high' which is apparently in excess of 35

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was hospitalised - didn't know I had type 1. The glucose reader in the GP surgery just read 'high' which is apparently in excess of 35

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Thanks, but was not your bg under control? Or were you not aware that you were diabetes.

Sorry for very stupid question, but if you control your diabetes and then you forgot to take bg reading for few days, is there any reason for bg to be gone as high as 35?

Regards