1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I was Type 1 all along

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lord Midas, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Are you due to see your diabetes team for a review?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I personally think that no diabetic should take carbs. The reason a diabetic needs to take insulin is due to a rise in blood sugar. The rise in bs comes primarily from carbs, and to a small degree excess protein. Why we diabetics are encouraged to eat the very thing that makes us sick, and thus take meds, is a staggering betrayal of trust by the medical authorities.

And so we take matters into our own hands I have found that reducing my carbs to as little as I possibly can (without counting, and this includes green veggies), eating a high fat diet (lots of butter, cheese and fatty meats) and moderate protein (just what's in the above) i have a much better control of my bs.

The Keto diet, and the resulting Keto Adaption, works wonders for T2 (though monitoring bs levels is very important). But for T1 you must be diligent. If you are in ketosis and the ketone levels go high as well as high bs, then that can be dangerous. But if monitored well then there is no reason a T1 cannot also go into ketosis.

This results in amazing bs control, fat loss, other metabolic issues go away, reduction in med requirements for T1, reversal of T2. The list of issues being in nutritional ketosis can remedy is long and impressive.

I am desperately trying to stay in ketosis, though for me my main challenge is the Dawn Phenomenon which requires insulin (and insulin is the very hormone that stores body fat and prevents the release of fat from cells). I do believe it will take longer than normal peeps and those with T2, but I'll get there

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very similar thing happened to me I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes but my numbers were very high and I had to use insulin. After the birth I did go back to pre diabetic bg readings - a diabetic consultant at the hospital wrote to my gp and said I needed a annual fasting hba1c test (old school). When it came back high he said to me I was type 2 - he had the balls to actually say that the consultant had suggested type 1 but he didn't think so I was too old @ 29. I got about a year till nk tablets worked my bg was never below 20 and I felt dire! I never questioned the doctors opinion - I didn't want to be type 1 (rightly or wrongly?) I did get a year without insulin but I ate very sparingly during that time. I feel a lot better now but type 1 can be really inconvenient

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lord Midas

p.s. again: I seriously think everyone should read the following books. The clarity you will have surrounding the food we eat, the lies we've been told (resulting in the rise of diabetes and obesity), and how to help ourselves is astounding.

Good Calories, Bad Calories - Gary Taubes (a thorough, in-depth meticulously researched book about the science (both good and bad) around how we became a high carb eating society and the resulting diabetic/obesity crisis)

How We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes (a newer, less technical, read in the same vein as good calories, bad calories)

These are essential reads

And two more eye opening books. Ready to read and hugely insightful:

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek (what about low carb and exercise? It's here. they also did one called the art and science of low carbohydrate living which I'm reading next)

Keto Clarity - Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman (Ketogenic diet and ask you could know by the man with the most popular health bluff on the planet. He was also 410lb before losing 180lb on a Keto diet )

Try these and be wise to the lies (or ignorance) of our doctors

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lord Midas

Thanks for the share @Bon83. Bloody sucks eh. But really glad to hear you're doing much better.

Hey @azure, even though my meds and my routine haven't changed knowing for sure is actually liberating. I'll be in the type 1 forum from now on

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I have mentioned elsewhere being part of a Prof Tim Noakes study into the effects of LCHF on T2 diabetics. when the results came back, it showed 2 outliers of 29 . ie only 2 of the group were not responding as expected and still had both high blood sugars and high insulin needs.

One of those individuals has since been re-diagnosed as T1 one month after the study ended .

I had already written to them suggesting that they look into Type B insulin resistance as well as it was my thought that if 27 of 29 people respond in exactly the same way to the same disease, then there is just as much chance that the other 2 do not have exactly the same disease as there is that those 2 happen to have the very same disease but respond totally differently to the treatment.

Many diagnoses for T2 are overly simplistic - you are overweight you have T2. Type B is " very rare" but who had even heard of it to be tested? T1 can come in late forms.

I think anyone who finds that LCHF of under 30g per day does NOT bring down blood sugars drastically, should look very carefully at the possibility that they do not have T2 but instead have some other variation including Type B insulin resistance which is another auto immune disease or T1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up - I like a new view and reading material. I'm still working through a few other books at the mo but good to know!

9. James1968

James1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I am due a review at the end of the month I think, I need to get this sorted as I am going on holiday in nov for 3 weeks, still have all the signs when diagnosed dry mouth lethargic can't be bothered to do anything and everything is an effort

• Hug Hug x 2
  10. James1968

Forgot to mention still have the sweats and dizzy turns as well

• Hug Hug x 2
  11. Lord Midas

Hi James, if you are still suffering symptoms then definitely get to the docs.
    Measure your bs regularly, and if they are constantly high then you probably need more insulin. Get your basal dose right and the bolus will sort itself out for good times. The background dude is the one you need to get right.
    I take 32 units of Lantus. When trying Keto I've tried halving that amount... didn't work out as well as I'd hoped

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. James1968

Not on insulin, just metformin 2000 mg and gliclazide 160 mg

13. James1968

Thanks Lord Midas

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Have you explored the magic of a liver block, before bed to postpone dawn phenomenon til lunch or later? (A fatty protein normally does it.)

15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

You definitely need a review James.

16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I still need metformin for pcos but it does support insulin nicely, if you do end up on insulin James.
    I've never felt more clearer minded, than I am when on insulin. Without insulin I'm too tired to think or even try. Hopefully they can settle your management back down. Are you having horrific carb cravings like I was too?

17. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

@Lord Midas I think you and @Cumberland should have Type 1 with type 2 knowledge on your description strip not just Type 1 well known member. ;)

18. James1968

Yes I am craving carbs all the time
    I think I have lots of questions for my GP now

19. James1968

20. Lord Midas

I have. Though a lot of the time I forget. However, this morning is good. I made the lunches for us last night and scoffed a small amount of ham whilst doing so. Last night before bed my bs was 5.6 and this morning it is 5.2. woo

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook