Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Brilliant!!! Well done. :) :)

How strange that we both lost 3lb this week.

Reactions: marathonmona

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Great stuff, everyone doing brilliantly and steadily going downwards in various measurements. I've decided to go back to eating once a day and see if that gets my bg down. Today it went well and I only went up 1.5 after dinner to 6.5 which given my recent high figures is great. I'm just drinking coffee with cream but mostly water when I get hunger pangs and ignoring them. They soon go so are probably more in my head than actual hunger.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've got an ear infection - my ear is inflammed - which is pushing up my BGs - but, at the same time, its pushing up my appetite. I think this last 24 hours has been the hardest since those first two miserable days on ND. I have stuck with it though - thanks to a couple of cups Bovril and lots of mineral water.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
@Chook Hope you feel better soon. everything is tougher when you feel ****** but sticking to it must make you feel better

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah @Chook. Get well soon!

I've had a HUGE appetite since about Sunday. Been averaging about 1100 calories a day. Yep. Not great.
I'm not doing or eating anything different. Maybe it's the long work days/weeks, colder weather... I'm not sure. Or maybe my mindset has changed? Or has it? I need to think...

Reactions: Freema

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@marathonmona maybe because you're back in work with 'set' mealtimes rather than eating in your own time? Weather and hormones definitely have an effect on my hunger.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@thepolly. Yep, I think it's a combination of weather, less sleep, more stress and long days.
The increased calorie consumption on a day doesn't bother me that much as I should be able to 'fast it off' a few days a week. Haven't felt like I have been able to though. I have to feel ready for a day's fast and sort of full. I'm just so hungry...

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@thepolly. Yep, I think it's a combination of weather, less sleep, more stress and long days.
The increased calorie consumption on a day doesn't bother me that much as I should be able to 'fast it off' a few days a week. Haven't felt like I have been able to though. I have to feel ready for a day's fast and sort of full. I'm just so hungry...
Can you increase your fat content a little bit, hard I know if you are restricting calories but much more sating :D

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm toying with the idea of buying the Michael Moseley book and starting the 800 calorie BSD. But I was wondering how to cope with eating out? My husband and I have quite a lot of social occasions coming up and I can't see how how I would manage it. Do you just not eat all day and save your 800 calories for the meal out?

We have got my mum's significant birthday coming up at a posh restaurant, she will be really annoyed if I hardly touch the meal. Then a week later were going to another restaurant with friends to celebrate their engagement. Then we've got a weekend away with friends which usually involves a lot of food and drink!

How have you managed to cope with these sort of occasions?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I'm toying with the idea of buying the Michael Moseley book and starting the 800 calorie BSD. But I was wondering how to cope with eating out? My husband and I have quite a lot of social occasions coming up and I can't see how how I would manage it. Do you just not eat all day and save your 800 calories for the meal out?

We have got my mum's significant birthday coming up at a posh restaurant, she will be really annoyed if I hardly touch the meal. Then a week later were going to another restaurant with friends to celebrate their engagement. Then we've got a weekend away with friends which usually involves a lot of food and drink!

Hi

I suppose you have a few options:

Wait til most of your nights out are done... clearly they're always going to happen though but if you have a spate of them coming up it may be worth postponing the diet.

Or you could fast all day and count your meals at night. But beware that a restaurant meal can easily surpass 1000 calories!

Or... ha. You could fast for a few days and eat what you want. That's if you're used to fasting. Obviously that's not the premise of the 800 calorie diet but just throwing it out there.

Maybe it would be best to get your parties out of the way then start your commitment?

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you increase your fat content a little bit, hard I know if you are restricting calories but much more sating :D

I think I need to @thepolly. You've got me thinking actually: I may try a very high fat zero carb day on 800 calories and see how I feel. Then intersperse them with some 'normal' days.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've got an ear infection - my ear is inflammed - which is pushing up my BGs - but, at the same time, its pushing up my appetite. I think this last 24 hours has been the hardest since those first two miserable days on ND. I have stuck with it though - thanks to a couple of cups Bovril and lots of mineral water.

How you feeling chick Chook?

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bit of a binge earlier. Ugh.

Pepperoni, mozarella, Celebrations (evil, evil,evil...) and chilli Doritos.

Gotta be honest to keep myself accountable. I've just done my Tesco shop online and have added some macadamia nuts, fresh cream of mushroom soup and some other higher fat items.
The plan will be two meals, HFLC. Appr 400 calories each. I'm hoping this will eliminate cravings.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi

the blood sugar diet forum is great with lots of tips on things like eating out etc. The forums there are just as friendly and helpful as this one.

Mostly the trick with eating out is to eat a small portion of protein and a large salad I think. I am eating a meal a day at the moment as I find it suits me better but there are several versions of the BSD with the 800 cal being the quickest but most restrictive version. Have a look over there and I'm sure there will be better and more determined people that can answer these questions. Good luck with it :D

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think I need to @thepolly. You've got me thinking actually: I may try a very high fat zero carb day on 800 calories and see how I feel. Then intersperse them with some 'normal' days.
Oooh let me know how that goes! There are quite a few recipes online for 'fat bombs' that might be fun to play with. I made some lemon ones the other day but was rubbish and ate them all in one day :(

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oooh let me know how that goes! There are quite a few recipes online for 'fat bombs' that might be fun to play with. I made some lemon ones the other day but was rubbish and ate them all in one day :(

I've tried some and they're actually a bit of a problem for me. I can't eat just the one or two...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How you feeling chick Chook?

G'morning - thanks for the good wishes :) Its developed in to a sort of cold - headache, sore throat, earache - but no runny nose just yet.

Did you read the thread of an experiment I did with zero carbing? Its okay if you can do it but boredom really kicks in after a day or two. I did it for two weeks and, by the end, was desperate for vegetables - but I think it would be okay for the odd day or two.

I've always wondered about 'fat bombs'. I'm not a particularly strong willed person and I just KNOW that if they turned out yummy I'd polish them all off as soon as they were made, like @thepolly

Hi @TooManyCrisps I agree with @marathonmona about this, you will probably be better off waiting until you've got an 8 week stretch of not being sociable. In one of my previous attempts (this is my third) I was working and eating out quite a bit at the time (regular meals out was part of my job) and decided to add a day on the end of the ND for each day that I didn't stick with the 800 cal plan - which should have been okay except that the meals I was having were, not only too high in calories (for the ND) but also too high in carbs (for my normal very low carb way of eating) so the additional carbs kicked off cravings which I gave in to and so that attempt at ND crashed and burned . Not my finest hour. :(

I found, from experience, that the best (for ND) meal out is a carvery meal having the turkey and plain veg with a splash of gravy.