UPDATE TO NICE RECOMMENDATION FOR T2D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too :)

I'm another one got an "increased risk" just because of my age, everything else was a big fat zero!

So they are saying everyone over a certain age is at risk of diabetes even though they are slim, normal BP and normal everything else!

D

Deleted member 308541

So they are saying everyone over a certain age is at risk of diabetes even though they are slim, normal BP and normal everything else!
They got me for age, blood pressure medication and family history. All of the rest were 0.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeh, looks like it. Who dreams up these criteria?

Also looks like we might end up paying fees to SW/WW/or wherever, for 1.7 million 'overweight' bods! (irrespective of whether they have any health risk). Wonder where that money will come from?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JuliaEadie

I ate to Government recommended guidelines for years and struggled with my weight. I was diagnosed with diabetes purely by chance as a GP took my blood pressure which was sky high and then took blood tests. I was referred to an NHS dietician who spouted the same old rubbish about the plate method and not being able to live without carbs. I ignored it totally and did a low carb high fat diet losing 3.5 stone without trying and wasn't hungry. I now have an HBA1c of 41 and normal cholesterol. I am covinced that becoming obese over many years is a symptom not a cause of diabetes. I am also covinced that the medical profession will never admit that their guidelines for low fat eating are wrong for some people - think of the potential compensation claims, that really would bankrupt the NHS. However, it concerns me that while this situation continues medics and scientists will not seek to answer questions that will unlock this puzzle of why some people become obease while others don't. My hope is that the mapping of the genome will provide some answers and some better advice will emerge which is tailored to individuals rather than the blanket brush clumsy approach currently offered.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That has always been my understanding but I don't remember where I got that info from. Also, I have often hinted to DN that anyone who comes in should at least get a finger prick test so that they find the skinny ones. This attitude of testing the fat ones has so many things wrong with it.

Reactions: charliebarker
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Sadly it may be that after a certain age everything including your pancreas starts to wear out.

I know my knees and feet have seen better days.
I know my head has seen better hair.

Then again we are looking at a calculation from national (or international) data sets and we on the forum are an educated minority so we should not conform to the statistical norm.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My risk was moderate (really?) at 23 but 13 of those was because I'm 70. 5 was for a relative with diabetes and 5 for taking BP meds.

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
I think you'are over-reading it. By the way I stay awy from pastries and chips because elsewhere my BG sky rockets. Mayonnaise it's another thing if is't home made or you'll check the label always.
547346_hellmansoliveback-00.jpg

(Soybean oil? Starch? Sugar?? Eh?)

In these thing the devil is in the detail, or the presentation of data. I am sure very few people have understood the eatwell plate and correctly follow it or aren't forgetting the random snack or icecream outside dinner and lunch.
Full, nuclear powered Mayo is far lower in carbs than the "healthy" low fat option. Wholegrain bread isn't good, neither are pasta or rice. In fact, most of the "healthy" diet advocated by NICE and NHS is the cause of obesity, not the solution.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When my mother was diagnosed with type 2 in the 1970's her doctor told her to drastically reduce carbohydrate consumption and increase fat and green veg, she would buy the fattiest meats she could find, she had diabetes nearly 40years with no complications and no medication. My doc insists eat carbs but no fat, why has advice changed? Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my RAINBOW using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my mother was diagnosed with type 2 in the 1970's her doctor told her to drastically reduce carbohydrate consumption and increase fat and green veg, she would buy the fattiest meats she could find, she had diabetes nearly 40years with no complications and no medication. My doc insists eat carbs but no fat, why has advice changed? Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my RAINBOW using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

One... your doctor has been misled by the dodgy science that NICE relies on for their guidelines courtesy of a certain Ancel Keys who fiddled the results to fit his hypothesis. Two... your doctor hasn't kept up with new science that says that our grandmothers were correct all along and that "sugar diabetes" is best controlled by reducing sugar (in the form of carbs) from our diet. Bad science that has become ingrained because those peddling it for the past 50 years can't admit to making a mistake especially in the USofA where most of the dietary advice came from and which would be bankrupted by the Class Action suit arising from them admitting that dietary advice has been incorrect for half a century.