Weight loss and hair loss

FADM2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've been IFing (16:8) and cutting down on carbs for past 3-4 months and lost 6-7 kgs over last 6 months. But my hair loss is just tragic! I've been losing soo much hair since I've restricted my calories intake!! I still eat healthy- everyday I eat egg, fish, brown rice, veggies and avoid junk food. I have no clue why I'm losing so much hair.

Did anyone experience the same?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Could be iron deficiency which is known to cause hair thinning / loss. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Reactions: ickihun and pavlosn

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @FADM2 could also be a thyroid issue, either way it's worthwhile booking into your GP's for a blood test to get it checked out :)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @FADM2 , hair loss can be caused by a great many things and can be a source of distress, it really would be worth speaking to your GP. X

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I've been IFing (16:8) and cutting down on carbs for past 3-4 months and lost 6-7 kgs over last 6 months. But my hair loss is just tragic! I've been losing soo much hair since I've restricted my calories intake!! I still eat healthy- everyday I eat egg, fish, brown rice, veggies and avoid junk food. I have no clue why I'm losing so much hair.

Did anyone experience the same?
I would suggest supplements in diets which are very restricted.
I'm restricting my diet but supplement it. Once I have bariatric surgery I will need to increase vit d3 and start calcium supplements.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No straightforward answer to that ... some might but I'd be reluctant to connect metformin to it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I take metfo, 850g once a day. Does it contribute to hair loss?

Metformin is associated with vitamin B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause hair loss. If you have a Google you will find plenty of information about it. However, there are other reasons for hair loss as mentioned by others above.

Ishi

Congrats on weight loss. Happened to me. I started low carb and healthy eating. Started loosing too many hairs. Went to my GP and had low ferretin (iron). She gave me iron tablets and within 2 months all the hair loss stopped. I lost more than half of my hairs within 3/4 months. Go to the GP.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since restricting my diet I've had to take multivitamins, vit d3 and now being tested for vit b12 and folate.
I'm losing hair in my brush daily too.
Numb toes and hot tingles. I wish I didn't have to restrict my diet thou.