Foods for T1 with upset stomach and diarrhoea and vomiting - help

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

I seem to have picked up a stomach bug over the last 24hrs, I've had chronic diarrhoea and vomiting and my stomach really hurts, at the moment I'm not eating much but what are T1 friendly foods that one can eat whist this clears, advice has been things like simple rice, bananas, brown bread etc and as we know these items will cause carnage on the blood sugars so are there any low carb alternatives????

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Guys,

I seem to have picked up a stomach bug over the last 24hrs, I've had chronic diarrhoea and vomiting and my stomach really hurts, at the moment I'm not eating much but what are T1 friendly foods that one can eat whist this clears, advice has been things like simple rice, bananas, brown bread etc and as we know these items will cause carnage on the blood sugars so are there any low carb alternatives????
If you've an upset stomach, you're better fasting for 24-48hrs than trying to eat anything to give it a chance to calm down. I'd certainly be checking glucose levels regularly, and have coke on hand in case of need to top up (which is probably unlikely give the way these things usually raise glucose levels).

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As @tim2000s says you are better to fast for 24 hours so it clears your system. Have some boiled water to sip so you don't become dehydrated.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tbh I was getting a bit fed up of praying to the porcelain god so I've taken some imodium and hoping for the best

Reactions: Shazzle80

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @O_DP_T1 Poor you - hope you feel better soon. Personally if it was me and I needed to eat something then I would opt for toast, so nothing too taxing on the tum, but best to keep hydrated and monitor carefully, hopefully it's a 24 hour bug so will pass soon.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys, yep I'm scanning like every half hour or so (thank god for the libre). I'm on the toast and soup at the moment had a low in the morning so had to have a couple of glasses of orange juice which didn't help, hopefully it'll pass soon. Also on the pre-mixed insulin it's not always possible to do a correction dose!!!! Double the pain in the backside literarily!!!!!

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Cheers guys, yep I'm scanning like every half hour or so (thank god for the libre). I'm on the toast and soup at the moment had a low in the morning so had to have a couple of glasses of orange juice which didn't help, hopefully it'll pass soon. Also on the pre-mixed insulin it's not always possible to do a correction dose!!!! Double the pain in the backside literarily!!!!!

I find sugared tea more palatable than orange juice for a low when recovering from any illness.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will usually pass in a day or 2. People attribute it to a "bug" or "the flu" but it's almost always an ingested toxin from food. The influenza virus doesn't affect the GI tract. It causes fever and respiratory symptoms. Good luck and get well soon.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tbh I was getting a bit fed up of praying to the porcelain god so I've taken some imodium and hoping for the best

Imodium Instants work a treat. But... with me it takes a while to get things moving again!

D

Diabeticliberty

With the greatest of respect perhaps forgo worrying about the carbohydrate values for now. Just concentrate on trying to keep something down. It might also be an idea to try some electrolyte supplements as you may lose salts if you dehydrate. I hope it clears up sharpish. It's bad enough for anybody to be the way you currently seem but as diabetics it can get complicated.

Reactions: GrantGam

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you feel better soon!

I tend to not eat at all when I'm poorly and sip on flat full fat Coke if I'm having a low.

Don't know what insulin you're on but if you're on basal bolus don't forget to keep taking your basal.

Indiana x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It will usually pass in a day or 2. People attribute it to a "bug" or "the flu" but it's almost always an ingested toxin from food. The influenza virus doesn't affect the GI tract. It causes fever and respiratory symptoms. Good luck and get well soon.

Yes, get well soon!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think you have a tummy bug or have eaten something dodgy then it's best not to take Immodium.. horrible as it is, the bad stuff needs to come out. Try to stay hydrated and keep an eye on your BG.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
A little bit of broth helps for me..hope you feel better soon

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys generally better now thanks, food intake is returning back to normal slowly and I'm back at work. Occasionally getting the odd unexpected high BS spike probably due to virus not completely gone.