Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Strachan1 - As a newly diagnosed type I also experienced quite dramatic hair loss when I was diagnosed, I can remember handfuls of hair coming out in the shower which was quite distressing as I have long hair, I was told at the time that it was due to the hormonal changes and the stress my body had been under, it eased up over a few weeks and eventually grew back, I have also got an under active thyroid too which also causes hair loss and would recommend that if you still continue to lose hair that you have a blood test done to rule this out as well as a possible iron deficiency - I also eat low carb but this did not make my hair fall out.

Reactions: Strachan1 and Dodo

Katrina5664

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Strachan 1 I also had extreme hair loss my dearly beloved started on about buying a wig but luckily it stopped falling out and has nearly all returned.
Katrina

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone experience hair loss?
I don't remember any hair loss until about 18 months ago and was diagnosed with under-active thyroid (known for causing hair loss). Now on thyroid medication so hoping it will stop. I agree with Juicyj that it is probably due to stress and hormones rather than low carbing.

Reactions: Strachan1

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to post this question today too!! I've been diagnosed 5.5 weeks. Good to know I'm not alone - here's hoping it'll be back soon :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
am having exactly the same problem loads coming out when im brushing it at this rate il end up with 3 hairs and a nit haha jokes apart its scary but was told it will settle i hope so and soon. diagnosed 5 months ago but only started falling out about 2 months ago x

Nickinoodles_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My hair has been falling out in handfulls just diagnosed since April. It has slows down and I was lucky to have very thick hair to start. Just resigned to cutting my hair short this week but my hairdresser said all new growth there so that's good anyway. I know it's scary. But at least it's growing back ;)

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It took my surgery 9 months to diagnose me as diabetic. During that time I lost 18lbs, half my head hair, my gums receded and because of horrendous leg and foot cramps I was getting about 3 hours sleep a night. Walking dead springs to mind. Once I went onto insulin things began to return to normal. All my hair came back. Hopefully yours will be the same!

LauraPalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this problem too, and while I'm sorry you all have suffered from it, it is reassuring to hear that for most people it grows back.

I have been told hair lags around 3 months after physical health shocks, and this seems to have been the case for me - I started to feel unwell around February and starting noticing hair loss in May. I have lost about a lot of hair since then, and have found it very upsetting. The loss does seem to be slowing down though and I am hoping it will continue to improve (I was diagnosed in April this year, but thanks to a GP who treated my T1 with meds for T2 :bored:, I only started insulin in August).

In the meantime I am taking supplements (Forcapil was recommended to me - biotin, B vits and zinc), and trying to treat my hair as gently as possible. Would welcome any recommendations for products to improve volume!

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 56 (3years ago) when all this happened to me. The hair loss stopped very soon after going onto insulin but it took about 6 months to come back to any decent growth. Now it's back as it was before I fell ill. I did nothing extra other than using a volumising shampoo for time it was very thin. Just give it time. X

LauraPalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Sibyl - that is reassuring! I have noticed some baby-hair regrowth I think in the last few weeks, although I appreciate it will take a while to thicken out again.

Your dog is gorgeous btw :)

Reactions: Sibyl

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LMAO! Re the dog comment: I was just thinking the same about yours!

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this problem too, and while I'm sorry you all have suffered from it, it is reassuring to hear that for most people it grows back.

I have been told hair lags around 3 months after physical health shocks, and this seems to have been the case for me - I started to feel unwell around February and starting noticing hair loss in May. I have lost about a lot of hair since then, and have found it very upsetting. The loss does seem to be slowing down though and I am hoping it will continue to improve (I was diagnosed in April this year, but thanks to a GP who treated my T1 with meds for T2 :bored:, I only started insulin in August).

In the meantime I am taking supplements (Forcapil was recommended to me - biotin, B vits and zinc), and trying to treat my hair as gently as possible. Would welcome any recommendations for products to improve volume!

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hairdresser suggested Nioxin shampoo. I'm going to give it a try. Luckily I have lots of hair so it probably doesn't look too bad to others.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hairdresser suggest Nioxin which will stop anymore falling out. I've been ill since March and my body has eaten away all my fat stores. Have started taking supplements too.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hairdresser suggest Nioxin which will stop anymore falling out. I've been ill since March and my body has eaten away all my fat stores. Have started taking supplements too.
I've been using Nioxin, which does seem to help, but I think when you're feeling better your hair will improve naturally.

Reactions: Sibyl