hughcalc cholesterol converter/calculator

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

I got concerned when some forum members reported trigs/HDL ratios which seemed to be wrong, after using the above calculator.
It appeared that it was set up wrongly to compensate twice for the difference in converting US mg/dl readings to UK mmol/L figures.
For those who don't know, US figures of (say) HDL 100 mg/dl and trigs of 100 mg/dl (where HDL and trigs values are the same) DO NOT translate to the same figures in mmol/L
HDL 100 mg/dl is divided by 38.6 to give 2.59 mmol/L
trigs 100 mg/dl is divided by 88.5 to give 1.13 mmol/L

So, when comparing trigs to HDL in the US, HDL figures are 2.29 times bigger. From this stems the recommended US ranges for trigs to HDL ratios being roughly 2.29 times higher than in the UK.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I contacted Hugh earlier and he has fixed the glitch in his converter. I tested it both before and after his intervention and can confirm it's now working as it should.

SO I CAN NOW FULLY ENDORSE USING THE ABOVE CALCULATOR

A big shout-out to Hugh Chou for his prompt response !
Geoff

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I got concerned when some forum members reported trigs/HDL ratios which seemed to be wrong, after using the above calculator.
It appeared that it was set up wrongly to compensate twice for the difference in converting US mg/dl readings to UK mmol/L figures.
For those who don't know, US figures of (say) HDL 100 mg/dl and trigs of 100 mg/dl (where HDL and trigs values are the same) DO NOT translate to the same figures in mmol/L

So, when comparing trigs to HDL in the US, HDL figures are 2.29 times bigger. From this stems the recommended US ranges for trigs to HDL ratios being roughly 2.29 times higher than in the UK.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I contacted Hugh earlier and he has fixed the glitch in his converter. I tested it both before and after his intervention and can confirm it's now working as it should.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for being proactive and getting the problem fixed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's the bad news.

Geoff

Thanks for that @librarising .

I've just re-entered my data and still get lots of "Ideals" , despite my "inconveniently large number" for my TC, so I'll rest easy.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this @librarising

And (somewhat off topic) did anyone spot the link lower on the calc page to Hugh's girlfriend's gluten free recipes?
Some of them look FAB

D

Deleted member 308541

Do I need to use this calculator?

I get my all of my blood test readings in a photo copy of the report from the pathology shop, from my GP which for cholesterol are in the correct format (mmol/L) that Australia uses.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
still get lots of "Ideals" , despite my "inconveniently large number" for my TC
Ditto.

Ratios all 'ideal'.
LDL 'near optimal'.
HDL 'optimal'.
Triglycerides 'normal'.

Total cholesterol: 'high risk'.

Have been summoned to see the practice nurse next week on the strength of my latest results. What I really really really don't understand is that ALL of my individual cholesterol results are within the recommended range for the tests, as shown on the lab printout....... but together my TC is 6.2.

I'm in range, according to the individual HDL and LDL results, being as they are 3.0 and 2.8 (both are supposed to be sub-3, apparently - and yes, LDL should be as low as possible, BUT I'm still within range).

I'm wondering how a full complement of test results within range can combine to make a 'high risk' number?!

:woot:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto.

Ratios all 'ideal'.
LDL 'near optimal'.
HDL 'optimal'.
Triglycerides 'normal'.

Have been summoned to see the practice nurse next week on the strength of my latest results. What I really really really don't understand is that ALL of my individual cholesterol results are within the recommended range for the tests, as shown on the lab printout....... but together my TC is 6.2.

I'm in range, according to the individual HDL and LDL results, being as they are 3.0 and 2.8 (both are supposed to be sub-3, apparently - and yes, LDL should be as low as possible, BUT I'm still within range).

I'm wondering how a full complement of test results within range can combine to make a 'high risk' number?!

I think it's safe to say, I encouraged my GP to come along on a bit of a journey, accompanied by Professor Sikaris and a few others, and some reading.

It was a memorable day when she shifted (without passing Go, or collecting £200), from "Would you like a referral to a Lipidologist?", to "You must be delighted with those results".

I'm delighted to say that my GP is open to discussion and receiving copies of my research etc when I go. Now, whether she reads, shreds, or just scans them onto my record to cover herself and cut down on the notes she has to make, I'll never know, but for me, she's a keeper.

At a meeting I attended a week or so ago, even a very traditional Endo seemed to be softening on lipids and statins. It was a social setting, so he didn't get the full grilling.

MY last TC was 6.3, so sounds like we're near lipid twins.

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy
D

Deleted member 308541

Do I need to use this calculator?
I answered my own question by giving it a try out.

Your Total Cholesterol of 4.1 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 2.2 is OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.33 is NORMAL

Your Triglyceride level of 1.24 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.08 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.605 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.932 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) NORMAL

I think I trust my GP to tell me with a big grin if I'm good. :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @librarising Great job, and thank you Hugh.

Pretty pleased with mine

Your Total Cholesterol of 6.10 is BORDERLINE
Your LDL of 3.35 is NEAR OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 2.47 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.61 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.47 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.737 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.247 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto.

Ratios all 'ideal'.
LDL 'near optimal'.
HDL 'optimal'.
Triglycerides 'normal'.

you might like to check out the work Dave Feldman is doing on "Hyper responders "
As far as I can gather these people all consider themselves to be fit and healthy, but are being bugged by their doctors because the total number is high.

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like whatever I'm doing must be working somehow!, thanks for checking it out and drawing it attention

Your Total Cholesterol of 4.30 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 2.32 is OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.6 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.82 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.69 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.690 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.512 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL

Grand !

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
you might like to check out the work Dave Feldman is doing on "Hyper responders "
As far as I can gather these people all consider themselves to be fit and healthy, but are being bugged by their doctors because the total number is high.
I love it when he introduces the Incredible Cyanide Diet (at 6.25) !
Geoff

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little confused all ratios seem OK but HDL of 1.3 is High Risk. Can anyone explain please?
ad4305dfea7578a9d83eb709c349e7b6.jpg

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Happy with mine, this after a year of LCHF
Your Total Cholesterol of 4.10 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 2.12 is OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.8 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.39 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.28 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.849 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.217 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little confused all ratios seem OK but HDL of 1.3 is High Risk. Can anyone explain please?

The reason that they are showing that as high risk is that it is much better to have higher HDL as its protective of the heart.
Interestingly - and somewhat bizarrely the easiest way I have found to increase HDL is simply to eat butter ! it is well documented tha tbutter increases both HDL and LDL - so in effect the ratio should remain ideal which is important for the LDL part but the absolute HDL will increase . ( in my case from 1.04 very low to 1.66 ideal in 12 months )

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason that they are showing that as high risk is that it is much better to have higher HDL as its protective of the heart.
Interestingly - and somewhat bizarrely the easiest way I have found to increase HDL is simply to eat butter ! it is well documented tha tbutter increases both HDL and LDL - so in effect the ratio should remain ideal which is important for the LDL part but the absolute HDL will increase . ( in my case from 1.04 very low to 1.66 ideal in 12 months )
Thanks for reply @CherryAA. When I was on Simvastatin I was still shown as high risk. Here us the results based on those figures. So still confused
c414cac663367e87901b17020ba8b2c7.jpg

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I suspect we have another glitch. 40- 59 mg/dl is the US normal range, with below 40 'major risk' (1.03 - 1.53 mmol/L).
Update :
"If HDL-C is less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L) for men and less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) for women, there is an increased risk of heart disease that is independent of other risk factors, including the LDL-C level. "

I input your figures, changing your HDL to 1.4. Result = Normal !!

Perhaps the calculator defaults to female values ?
Geoff

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin