Type 1 Silly question - sharps bins

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if this is a dumb question!

I have a sharps bin I was given at discharge, and know I need to contact my council for disposal. Do they leave a new one? If not where do I get my next one from?!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if this is a dumb question!

I have a sharps bin I was given at discharge, and know I need to contact my council for disposal. Do they leave a new one? If not where do I get my next one from?!

It differs from council to council, so a web search or phone call will be in order. My local council collects my full bin and leaves a new one. If your council don't provide a new one, your GP should prescribe one.
Geoff

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It differs from council to council, so a web search or phone call will be in order. My local council collects my full bin and leaves a new one. If your council don't provide a new one, your GP should prescribe one.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Trying to get hold of council to organise collection - think you have to ring at midnight on a night with a new moon on a day with no ‘y’ to get thru ;)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Geoff. Trying to get hold of council to organise collection - think you have to ring at midnight on a night with a new moon on a day with no ‘y’ to get thru ;)
Yep.I've got that T-shirt :banghead:
Geoff

Reactions: lou258
D

Deleted Account

My council takes old ones but does not provide new ones.
Definitely varies per council.

Reactions: lou258

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Your GP surgery must have facilities for collection of sharps so would be worth checking with them.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Why don't you just use a needle clipper instead one of those horrible bins?

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just take mine to the pharmacy and come away with an empty one.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP prescribe them for me and will dispose of my full ones as long as they are locked and the front label is completed. Only 1L so not too massive. My pharmacy where I pick up the bins won't do anything with them.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP surgery swap mine for me. I've only had to exchange it for the first time this week as they gave me a large one that's lasted most of the year.