Chicken or egg?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't think you could change type? Weren't you simply misdiagnosed as T2 at first and then reassessed as LADA? That's what I have seen happen with others on this forum.
I was misdiagnosed but I was 50 years old at the time. I had done Atkins for 25+ years and controlled in non diabetic ranges with diet and exercise. Then I got a nasty virus about 8 years ago and that was the first time I heard I had high bs. Still after that I controlled it with diet and exercise for another 6 or so years.
About 4 years ago could t control it and that's when I was truly misdiagnosed.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your jitters went away after your walk!

Seems like your diet is right on track!
The things you can pay attention to is meal SIZE ( not over filling the stomach) and which type of fats you eat. As I said you may see a difference with plant fats vs animal. I LOVE me some rare lamb chops and rare lean steak slices but I do cut off visible fat.
Keeping protein moderate was a huge key in getting bg to my goal. The .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass worked great. I eat 2 oz lunch and dinner and an ounce of cheese with a cocktail pre dinner. MOST people don't need more than 60 g per day

Here's another thing that helped. Keeping carbs and protein about 4 hours apart allows bs AND INSULIN to come back to baseline instead of keeping topping it off and higher. For me I need to eat every three hours as my insulin runs out by then ( not your problem) so I eat 4 small snack sized meals and a cheese snack. As type 2 it might not be such a good idea.

If you have body fat to loose you don't need to eat lots of fats which will allow your body to burn your own body fat. GREAT JOB on the weight loss!! Feels great huh!!!

Lastly, for me, and I'm not at all pushing keto, but it's the only thing that keeps my bg steady. 20 c or less per day keeps my glycogen stores as empty as possible. Then there's somewhere for my. Utrients to go rather than turning to bg and floating around.

You're doing awesome. Sorry if I'm rambling and saying things you already know. I'm sitting in a lobby waiting while getting an oil change !!

Keep up the great work!
Yes, it's possible I've relaxed a bit after my first three month test - as I was so pleased with my progress! I've started cooking some keto recipes and it's possible portion sizes have increased a bit. I have 20 weeks of food diary so I shall find a week early on in the process and follow it by the letter and see if it gets me back on track! 7.7 fasting this morning!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You keep sayig this Kristin and it simply isn't true for Type 2 diabetics. I linked to a study that shows it's more like 2g of 100g consumed protein and even then had no effect on blood glucose.

This from Michael Eades

Gluconeogenis is inappropriately activated in diabetics.
Protein requires adequate insulin. With insulin deficiency gluconeogenis proceeds rapidly

Obviously type 1's don't make insulin but Type 2's don't use theirs efficiently so it would seem it applies to DIABETICS do any type as stated. I'm sure where in the progression people are makes a difference as well.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's possible I've relaxed a bit after my first three month test - as I was so pleased with my progress! I've started cooking some keto recipes and it's possible portion sizes have increased a bit. I have 20 weeks of food diary so I shall find a week early on in the process and follow it by the letter and see if it gets me back on track! 7.7 fasting this morning!
Good news!!! It can take a few days to regain insulin sensitivity too. But headed in the right direction!!

I still consult my journals when something stumps me. I don't have a food diary for meals per se but loads of notes on things that work and things that don't. I do have loads of meal diaries from the past though. Very helpful.

P

pollensa

Hello,
As well as keeping the carbs low, try exercising after each meal, even for 10 mins, best the tread, or walk.

Intermittent fasting, one day or two, or three whatever you feel comfortable with, say 8pm to 2pm next day, skip breakfast, only having a herb tea, 18 hr fast, you don't notice, as your sleeping more or less 8 hours within that period, same if you do a 24 hr intermittent fast once a week, i.e. 8pm even before, until 8pm next evening, cutting out breakfast and lunch, only water, and tea, you sleep 8 hours.

Each time I view blogs or posts regards diabetes, I am pre diabetes, but in total control, no medications only keto 20/50 carbs a day, great meals and recipes IN SMALLER PORTIONS AND EXCERCISE. min 60 mins a day not all together, spaced out during the day much better, for all those who are pre or diabetic, its so terrible sad and frustrating that the Diabetes world is not treating Diabetes in my personal opinion correctly, I do feel if they treat the cause the Insulin Resistance instead of the symptom the sugars, as sugars comes from the Cause! Perhaps all those with this disease that the world shares, could reverse, come off their meds, and cure their diabetes, if the CAUSE was focused and targeted, Diabetes if I understand correctly, inform if I am wrong is a dietary disease, so why give insulin for an insulin related problem, this is crazy, one does not give alcohol for example to an alcoholic this would be crazy also....

So if the cause of Diabetes was treated, perhaps we would ALL no longer need to consult, pass information, try to help each, as everyone would have reversed their diabetes is the question??

Reactions: rosalindp

D._Activist

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the last couple of days my BSL has been slightly more elevated than normal and I've also been feeling jittery, stressed and easily irritated! Is it the levels that are making me feel like this or the feelings affecting the levels?? (By elevated I mean low 8's versus mid/high 6's - and no spikes above 1.5 after meals)
My educated guess would be that you are experiencing elevations of cortisol, adrenalin, or other neurotransmitters and it's elevating your BG's as well as making you feel jittery etc. Everything from stress to prolonged or chronic lows can cause hormone disregulation so you might try to find a pattern in your environment when this is happening. If you don't see one you might look to other things that can cause imbalance such as adrenal exhaustion, thyroid issues, or HPA axis problems.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My educated guess would be that you are experiencing elevations of cortisol, adrenalin, or other neurotransmitters and it's elevating your BG's as well as making you feel jittery etc. Everything from stress to prolonged or chronic lows can cause hormone disregulation so you might try to find a pattern in your environment when this is happening. If you don't see one you might look to other things that can cause imbalance such as adrenal exhaustion, thyroid issues, or HPA axis problems.
Thanks - I generally run on adrenaline so that might be a cause

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
As well as keeping the carbs low, try exercising after each meal, even for 10 mins, best the tread, or walk.

Intermittent fasting, one day or two, or three whatever you feel comfortable with, say 8pm to 2pm next day, skip breakfast, only having a herb tea, 18 hr fast, you don't notice, as your sleeping more or less 8 hours within that period, same if you do a 24 hr intermittent fast once a week, i.e. 8pm even before, until 8pm next evening, cutting out breakfast and lunch, only water, and tea, you sleep 8 hours.

Each time I view blogs or posts regards diabetes, I am pre diabetes, but in total control, no medications only keto 20/50 carbs a day, great meals and recipes IN SMALLER PORTIONS AND EXCERCISE. min 60 mins a day not all together, spaced out during the day much better, for all those who are pre or diabetic, its so terrible sad and frustrating that the Diabetes world is not treating Diabetes in my personal opinion correctly, I do feel if they treat the cause the Insulin Resistance instead of the symptom the sugars, as sugars comes from the Cause! Perhaps all those with this disease that the world shares, could reverse, come off their meds, and cure their diabetes, if the CAUSE was focused and targeted, Diabetes if I understand correctly, inform if I am wrong is a dietary disease, so why give insulin for an insulin related problem, this is crazy, one does not give alcohol for example to an alcoholic this would be crazy also....

So if the cause of Diabetes was treated, perhaps we would ALL no longer need to consult, pass information, try to help each, as everyone would have reversed their diabetes is the question??
I agree with portion control however I think you're very misinformed about giving insulin. We NEED insulin to get nutrients into our cells. We don't need EXCESS insulin which many type 2 have. I almost died and wasted away to nothing when I wasn't making insulin. Some of us have to inject it. It keeps us alive. If I don't take insulin my bg will continue to rise until I die. I eat keto so it allows me to take very small doses of insulin. Type 1 have no choice but to take insulin.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Charlie, I often find that my B.S. runs high during all phases of a cold. This could be why you're feeling meh. Downside is I've never worked out a solution :-(
Feel a lot better today, so maybe not a cold, which is a shame as it means it is still a mystery! Could have been overly tired

seascapes

I didn't think you could change type? Weren't you simply misdiagnosed as T2 at first and then reassessed as LADA? That's what I have seen happen with others on this forum.
People on this forum use lots of initials so I don't know what they are talking about! What is LADA please?

Reba

Type of diabetes
LADA
It is an autoimmune disease. Many people are diagnosed as a 2 when in fact they are really a LADA. Take a GAD antibodies test and a c-peptide test to determine it. They first diagnosed me as a 2, but found I had an autoimmune disease.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 for over 50 years,I have slowly lost the "hypo" warning I use't to get, my wife now tells me when I am going low aas my feet fidget without me notacing and shes right every time.I also fell fine and can work around the house without any problems

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just ordered an egg and a chicken from Amazon.
I'll let you know.