Type 2 T2 data

nannoo_bird

Is there any data that shows roughly what percentage of T2s manage to keep their diabetes under control? It would be interesting to know.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
According to this article, not many:

"Over seven years of data, just 1.47 percent of these patients achieved partial remission by lowering their hemoglobin A1C (a common measure of blood glucose control) to sub-diabetic levels, and a tiny fraction more were able to lower their A1C to normal levels and stop taking medications for a year or more."

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu...iabetes-remission-is-rare-but-not-impossible/

And according to this paper:

"The incidence density (remissions per 1,000 person-years; 95% CI) of partial, complete, or prolonged remission was 2.8 (2.6–2.9), 0.24 (0.20–0.28), and 0.04 (0.01–0.06), respectively."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4237974/

Reactions: kokhongw

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure the results would be very different from people following advice from this website however.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I wonder if that could be anything to do with the "advice" that T2s receive from their HCPs, for example:
Use the Eatwell plate as your dietary model ..
Eat starchy carbohydrates with every meal ..
Eat 4 to 6 times a day ..
LCHF is just a fad diet
Intermittent fasting is pointless - it just makes you more hungry ..
Eat plenty of fruit but not too many cream cakes ..
You don't need to test your blood sugar levels ..
Don't test because you won't understand the results ..
You won't have a hypo because you're on Metformin ..
etc, etc
(all of which have been said to me)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very poor figures (2014). It's an interesting article and from it....
“The rates of remission appear very low in this study, but I suspect part of it may be because doctors in real clinical practice may keep people on medications because they don’t believe remission is possible,” he said. “They may also believe that the lower sugars the better, at any cost, even if it means leaving people on medications.”

Hopefully, even in the 3 years since those articles, opinions and approaches to the management of the condition has changed. In fact I for one am relying on that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
According to this article, not many:

"Over seven years of data, just 1.47 percent of these patients achieved partial remission by lowering their hemoglobin A1C (a common measure of blood glucose control) to sub-diabetic levels, and a tiny fraction more were able to lower their A1C to normal levels and stop taking medications for a year or more."

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu...iabetes-remission-is-rare-but-not-impossible/

And according to this paper:

"The incidence density (remissions per 1,000 person-years; 95% CI) of partial, complete, or prolonged remission was 2.8 (2.6–2.9), 0.24 (0.20–0.28), and 0.04 (0.01–0.06), respectively."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4237974/

Those numbers are depressing. :-(

nannoo_bird

Wow, I thought the figures would be poor, but not that poor. I have spoken to quite a few T2s, and have been stunned by their ignorance of the disease - but to be fair, they have had little positive help from their health professionals. I have problems, despite thinking that I know a lot having done a lot of research, but I do fall off the wagon on stressful days, and up go the spikes. But I am frustrated and angry at doctors and DNs who have told me I "need" carbs, that there is no way a T2 could go into remission, that my blood pressure and cholesterol drugs will have to be taken forever. In the pockets of the drug companies????......

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow, I thought the figures would be poor, but not that poor. I have spoken to quite a few T2s, and have been stunned by their ignorance of the disease - but to be fair, they have had little positive help from their health professionals. I have problems, despite thinking that I know a lot having done a lot of research, but I do fall off the wagon on stressful days, and up go the spikes. But I am frustrated and angry at doctors and DNs who have told me I "need" carbs, that there is no way a T2 could go into remission, that my blood pressure and cholesterol drugs will have to be taken forever. In the pockets of the drug companies????......

I was told by a gp last week that I would always need medication and that I would need to get used to it. Then she looked at my last hbalc (39) and said that the metformin was obviously working. Then she noticed my weight loss and asked if I knew how unhealthy it was to lose weight that quickly and that if was dangerous. I despair.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of data is being collected from the low carb program on this site

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot of data is being collected from the low carb program on this site

I have done ok on lchf, but dont use the low carb program on this site. I found it very difficult to navigate using my tablet and impossible to correct an error. A quick look at some of the questions posted on the site show I am not alone in this. Also, a lot of people who have been doing lchf for quite a while will no longer post on it, even if they did when they started.

I think a well constructed question/ answer thread is a very good idea.
Not bashing the programme at all, I used it at first. But I think a lot of people give up with it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Is there any data that shows roughly what percentage of T2s manage to keep their diabetes under control? It would be interesting to know.
I am getting something going as I am fed up, just awaiting moderators decision if I can share as I don't want to fall foul of forum rules, build starts next week.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that this site is also preparing a scientific paper based on the Low Carb Programme @Administrator am I right there? Any idea of publication date we are all waiting with baited breath...