1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 T2 data

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by nannoo_bird, Oct 9, 2017.

1. nannoo_bird

nannoo_bird · Well-Known Member

Is there any data that shows roughly what percentage of T2s manage to keep their diabetes under control? It would be interesting to know.

2. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

According to this article, not many:

"Over seven years of data, just 1.47 percent of these patients achieved partial remission by lowering their hemoglobin A1C (a common measure of blood glucose control) to sub-diabetic levels, and a tiny fraction more were able to lower their A1C to normal levels and stop taking medications for a year or more."

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu...iabetes-remission-is-rare-but-not-impossible/

And according to this paper:

"The incidence density (remissions per 1,000 person-years; 95% CI) of partial, complete, or prolonged remission was 2.8 (2.6–2.9), 0.24 (0.20–0.28), and 0.04 (0.01–0.06), respectively."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4237974/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I'm sure the results would be very different from people following advice from this website however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wonder if that could be anything to do with the "advice" that T2s receive from their HCPs, for example:
    Use the Eatwell plate as your dietary model ..
    Eat starchy carbohydrates with every meal ..
    Eat 4 to 6 times a day ..
    LCHF is just a fad diet
    Intermittent fasting is pointless - it just makes you more hungry ..
    Eat plenty of fruit but not too many cream cakes ..
    You don't need to test your blood sugar levels ..
    Don't test because you won't understand the results ..
    You won't have a hypo because you're on Metformin ..
    etc, etc
    (all of which have been said to me)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very poor figures (2014). It's an interesting article and from it....
    “The rates of remission appear very low in this study, but I suspect part of it may be because doctors in real clinical practice may keep people on medications because they don’t believe remission is possible,” he said. “They may also believe that the lower sugars the better, at any cost, even if it means leaving people on medications.”

Hopefully, even in the 3 years since those articles, opinions and approaches to the management of the condition has changed. In fact I for one am relying on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Those numbers are depressing. :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Robkww

Robkww · Well-Known Member

Why do we not gather and maintain our own data - any volunteers - could be very useful?

8. nannoo_bird

nannoo_bird · Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought the figures would be poor, but not that poor. I have spoken to quite a few T2s, and have been stunned by their ignorance of the disease - but to be fair, they have had little positive help from their health professionals. I have problems, despite thinking that I know a lot having done a lot of research, but I do fall off the wagon on stressful days, and up go the spikes. But I am frustrated and angry at doctors and DNs who have told me I "need" carbs, that there is no way a T2 could go into remission, that my blood pressure and cholesterol drugs will have to be taken forever. In the pockets of the drug companies????......

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told by a gp last week that I would always need medication and that I would need to get used to it. Then she looked at my last hbalc (39) and said that the metformin was obviously working. Then she noticed my weight loss and asked if I knew how unhealthy it was to lose weight that quickly and that if was dangerous. I despair.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Kentoldlady1

I think thats quite a good idea. A thread with no chat, just data.

11. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A lot of data is being collected from the low carb program on this site

12. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

13. Kentoldlady1

I have done ok on lchf, but dont use the low carb program on this site. I found it very difficult to navigate using my tablet and impossible to correct an error. A quick look at some of the questions posted on the site show I am not alone in this. Also, a lot of people who have been doing lchf for quite a while will no longer post on it, even if they did when they started.

I think a well constructed question/ answer thread is a very good idea.
    Not bashing the programme at all, I used it at first. But I think a lot of people give up with it.

14. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I am getting something going as I am fed up, just awaiting moderators decision if I can share as I don't want to fall foul of forum rules, build starts next week.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I think that this site is also preparing a scientific paper based on the Low Carb Programme @Administrator am I right there? Any idea of publication date we are all waiting with baited breath...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook