Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this thread focuses a recurring problem. I like this site very much, there's none of the bitchiness, cat-calling, flame wars or trolling you get on other sites (can anyone remember any member accusing another member of being related to Hitler? - no, I rest my case!), but there can be a tendency for people to step out their experience zone.

I think it is great that T1s and T2s can post on other type's threads because, despite the different numbers (I'm not forgetting the T3s and LADAs here, but I'm typing on a phone here so trying to keep it simple!) we're all still people, not numbers.

But there are sometimes instances where posters sees the question through their type 1 or 2 lens and don't appreciate that there can be major differences in approach between the two.

I'm type 1 so I see it through that lens. I've picked up some info about T2 through reading T2 posts, but, sorry, I'm not T2, so would never think to offer advice on the subject.

Yet, time and time again, we see a newly dx'd T1 just getting to grips with having to inject for the rest of their life, looking for a bit of advice on how to get over the torment of that, and there's a fair chance that a T2 will pop up and say do low carb now, throw away the toast, bin the bun if you eat a bigmac, do some weird stuff with leeks if you're making lasagne.

I'm sure it's all very well intentioned but it's not helpful. Just as I don't pretend to advise T2s, I think T2 input into T1 threads needs to be heavily caveated along the lines of, "I'm T2 so I don't actually know that much about T1."

Catapillar makes a very good point about meters. I've never bought a meter in my life. Last time I changed my meter, I got the hospital to give me two so I'd have one spare. T2s might have to buy them, but T1s don't. Because the OP in this thread is T2, he gave misleading advice to the T1 in the thread referred to and was correctly picked up on that. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but posters should check the type of the OP in any thread and if it's not their type, don't assume that what you're saying is correct. It might be for your type, but could be grossly misleading for other types.
I'm type 1 ( LADA) and need to eat the same as when I was type 2. Throw away the toast, bin the bun is exactly what I need to do to avoid the hypo/ hyper roller coaster. And I don't consider toast and Big Mac buns any kind of health food. And I'd rather eat lasagna with leeks instead of paste. To me, it's not just about bg control but eating healthy foods. I don't think because I now inject insulin it should give me an excuse to eat nutritionally devoid foods just because I like them. And as posted in other threads, high insulin feeds cancer as well as many many other diseases. At least IMO. Diabetes can negativeLy effect my health all by itself, I do t need a Big Mac or toast.

I did find it odd that after DX I ended finding myself right back to my old diet. Vlc moderate protein and healthy fats to satisfy. That's the only way I stay flat.

I'm not arguing that T1's can eat carbs to their desire if they bolus right. I am arguing as to weather its a healthy diet. It's not only about controlling bs to be healthy. Just my opinion as always.

Reactions: Freema

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I think this thread focuses a recurring problem. I like this site very much, there's none of the bitchiness, cat-calling, flame wars or trolling you get on other sites (can anyone remember any member accusing another member of being related to Hitler? - no, I rest my case!), but there can be a tendency for people to step out their experience zone.

I think it is great that T1s and T2s can post on other type's threads because, despite the different numbers (I'm not forgetting the T3s and LADAs here, but I'm typing on a phone here so trying to keep it simple!) we're all still people, not numbers.

But there are sometimes instances where posters sees the question through their type 1 or 2 lens and don't appreciate that there can be major differences in approach between the two.

I'm type 1 so I see it through that lens. I've picked up some info about T2 through reading T2 posts, but, sorry, I'm not T2, so would never think to offer advice on the subject.

Yet, time and time again, we see a newly dx'd T1 just getting to grips with having to inject for the rest of their life, looking for a bit of advice on how to get over the torment of that, and there's a fair chance that a T2 will pop up and say do low carb now, throw away the toast, bin the bun if you eat a bigmac, do some weird stuff with leeks if you're making lasagne.

I'm sure it's all very well intentioned but it's not helpful. Just as I don't pretend to advise T2s, I think T2 input into T1 threads needs to be heavily caveated along the lines of, "I'm T2 so I don't actually know that much about T1."

Catapillar makes a very good point about meters. I've never bought a meter in my life. Last time I changed my meter, I got the hospital to give me two so I'd have one spare. T2s might have to buy them, but T1s don't. Because the OP in this thread is T2, he gave misleading advice to the T1 in the thread referred to and was correctly picked up on that. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but posters should check the type of the OP in any thread and if it's not their type, don't assume that what you're saying is correct. It might be for your type, but could be grossly misleading for other types.

I get that to an extent, I really do..and to be fair, I did not see the post in question. I think most T2s who might respond to to a T1 dilemma do point out that they are T2s and that hopefully other T1s will be along to clarify. I have certainly found, due to wee hours wide awake, that I have been first to respond purely to let the person know that there is a quick response and to reassure where possible while tagging if appropriate or give my opinion (and never stress it as absolute fact). I am pretty sure that anyone who responds..even if others find fault with their advice/opinion...does so from a 100% genuine place. With that in mind, I think criticism of what has been said may be more easily dealt with purely by presenting more accurate and valid info in a separate response without what may seem a harsh condemnation of the person who has perhaps unintentionally advised in a less than appropriate way depending on the type. I also think some relatively new posters may too easily overlook the huge contribution a particular individual may already have made that may have been incredibly helpful to an awful lot of people. Further, if we cannot recognise that we are being critical to the point of alienating and chasing away very helpful contributors without tact...perhaps we are not the best people to be doing the criticising. By the way, this is in no way...in no way...a criticism of yourself. We are all surely trying to help each other and to increase the effectiveness of the site while respecting the members...yes ? If we can't do that...we lose.

I would add that for those who may not have noticed, @AM1874 is a valued member of this community...and I would hate to think that he was giving up because he felt attacked for what, if incorrect, would have been a genuine attempt to to help. And, if people think he has overreacted...then perhaps things could have been expressed a little more positively. Again, I am talking from my own perspective here and do not have all the "facts". I honestly hope this is resolved.

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 ( LADA) and need to eat the same as when I was type 2. Throw away the toast, bin the bun is exactly what I need to do to avoid the hypo/ hyper roller coaster. And I don't consider toast and Big Mac buns any kind of health food. And I'd rather eat lasagna with leeks instead of paste. To me, it's not just about bg control but eating healthy foods. I don't think because I now inject insulin it should give me an excuse to eat nutritionally devoid foods just because I like them. And as posted in other threads, high insulin feeds cancer as well as many many other diseases. At least IMO. Diabetes can negativeLy effect my health all by itself, I do t need a Big Mac or toast.

I did find it odd that after DX I ended finding myself right back to my old diet. Vlc moderate protein and healthy fats to satisfy. That's the only way I stay flat.

I'm not arguing that T1's can eat carbs to their desire if they bolus right. I am arguing as to weather its a healthy diet. It's not only about controlling bs to be healthy. Just my opinion as always.

Whether carbs are good or bad is an argument for another day, Kristin! My point was that T1s have enough to get to grips with in the first few days without immediately being told in often very strident terms by non-T1s that they are going to be doomed if they look at toast. Sure, LCHF, keto, etc. , etc, can be be viable options once one is informed enough to make rational choices, but a few days after dx....really?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did not see the post in question.

You should probably read it. A T1 asks about spare meters, he's told by T1s how to get them for nada, the op suggests ways of buying them and strip costs, and it is politely pointed out that T1s get them for free and then he throws a huff for no apparent reason. The op in that thread is a newly dx'd T1 who knew nothing about the game, so if he'd followed the T2 advice given, there's a fair chance he'd have ended up buying strips. The inaccurate advice was correctly pointed out by experienced T1s in a civil way which didn't seem at all confrontational to me.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whether carbs are good or bad is an argument for another day, Kristin! My point was that T1s have enough to get to grips with in the first few days without immediately being told in often very strident terms by non-T1s that they are going to be doomed if they look at toast. Sure, LCHF, keto, etc. , etc, can be be viable options once one is informed enough to make rational choices, but a few days after dx....really?
Completely agree. I didn't read the post so my apologies. I'm a bit over three years in and OCD and still can't get it right all the time ( of course). The problem I always had was throwing any amount of carbs in and I rollercoastered all over. Actually I still do. So for me the 'laws do small numbers' allows low insulin doses and my fears of dying of hypos is much much less. It does take loads of testing and figuring things out. At DX they told me to eat 20 c per meal until my bg stabilized to bridge the gap between insulin and food. It was a mess but I did gain my much needed weight loss back!! We all have to find our own ways. Luckily for me I had a low carb paleo nurse that told me once my levels dropped I could drop some carbs and lower insulin. If she would have given me the standard ' you need carbs' I guess I would have followed that, at least as long as I could.

I apaolize, I spoke too soon without reading the posts. Confirming T 1 certainly is enough to handle all by itself for awhile

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New type 2 members on this forum are quite lucky that they have a chance to turn things around quite quickly. In the past, people have gone for years without reducing their blood glucose and now suffer from failing eyesight, painful neuropathy and many other problems.

In contrast, there are many people who have gone from very high blood glucose down to non-diabetic levels in a few months through a change of diet, lifestyle and intermittent fasting. A key to gaining control is testing blood sugars to see which foods you can tolerate without glucose spikes. The message of what is effective for treatment of type 2 needs to be given. Without it, many will suffer ill heath and up to lose ten years off their lifespan.

Reactions: Prem51

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the benefit of all that have been affected by the OP ' s decision to say goodbye.
I was personally involved in two of the posts which have been perceived as policing hence it would appear I may be largely to blame.
I've read through all posts above and have to admit I'm slightly disappointed with certain judgements made. You now have a source of contact, feel free to pm me, to express your feelings.
For those who have read the posts in question you are welcome to pass comment as you see fit, again on the open forum or by pm.
For those who have not read the posts, maybe you should, your comments will hold more gravitas. As above feel free to comment.
If anyone does feel the need to contact me please be aware I am not going to argue the merits of specific diets, you have no need to point out the value to the forum of the OP. As a T1 my main concern is the welfare of fellow T1's . It's what I know and it's what I intend to do.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
As a t2 I very briefly read through to posts
Where ever we are on forums, there will always be different opinions.

Reactions: Freema and hankjam

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi guys,

Just as a general discussion point to add to the ability to provide "appropriate" advice. I am recently moticing a lot of people simply listed as member - not t1, t2, prefer not to say or don't have...

This lack of label does make it hard to know unless you ask.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read a couple of the threads in which the op feels attacked and can't honestly see what the problem was. There was no rudeness or personal.attacks. Some of what he said was picked up on and corrected but all in a courteous manner. Surely the whole point of a forum like this is to give correct information through discussion and debate? And I don't think the op should leave the forum just because a couple of souls have disagreed with him, the information he provides is definitely helpful to type 2s.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read through all posts above and have to admit I'm slightly disappointed with certain judgements made. ...
For those who have not read the posts, maybe you should, your comments will hold more gravitas.

I would have to agree that it is disappointing to see judgements being made and expressed when the threads in question have not been read.

@Crystalwand there was nothing nasty said in the threads in question. If you read them and find anything nasty, please point it out?
@Tipetoo please do explain in what way there were any b**tards trying to grind anyone down in the treads in question?
@leslie10152 please explain who are the fools you are referring to and what makes you think that from their behaviour in the threads in question?
@Kristin251 there was no "disagreement" regarding low carb for a type 1 child in the thread in question. The original post said she had been asked to test her sons blood sugar for two weeks and advised not to change his diet while they investigated glucose in the urine. The child in question was not diagnosed as diabetic and changing to a low carb diet while the investigations were ongoing would likely slow down a very lucky early diagnosis of type 1.
@pleinster there was no criticism, justified or otherwise, or personal attacks in the threads in question. If you can see anything of the kind, please point them out? Nor was there anything that could be interpreted as "harsh condemnation" criticism, tactlessness or attacks, again if you read the posts in that way please explain how?

It seems there is rather a lot more flack being thrown around on this thread than anything OP encounterd apparently causing his decision to quit. While it's lovely that you wish to express support for the OP, and his helpful contributions to the forum do deserve support, it is disappointing that support is expressed by blindly throwing worse flack at anyone who may have "perpetrated" the encountering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm agreeing.
Type 1s die if they don't get insulin. MOST type2s still produce some (in various amounts). MOST Type2s can die if they don't combat glucose.
That's my belief from experience of best friend type1 and me type2.
EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
Now.
@AM1874 helps MOST type2s with his fantastic information.
He posted for type1s in error. Goodness sake, forgive the guy.
No one has not misunderstood a post on here before. No one. Our poor Mods even get it in the neck, unnecessarily sometimes. We all are capable of making mistakes. That's what makes us ALL human!

Sorry isn't used on this forum enough.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AM1874 Stick around, but maybe stay away from T1 threads, particularly newbie ones? From the 2 threads I have seen you answered the questions to the best of your knowledge, which is all any of us can do. Sometimes though, others need to reply to correct us/supplement what we said because our knowledge isn't sufficient in some areas. That has to be a good thing because I am sure none of us would want to mislead someone.

Reactions: catapillar

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mr @AM1874

I need you to return to (duty) at 09.00 16.10.17. That is an order. (he he) : ickihun using her military voice.

There'll be no more advising type1s. Is that understood?

(Here's where I'm hoping @AM1874 will reply and say...."yes sir".)

Carry on.
"YES SIR".

On a serious note.
@AM1874 i'll be disgusted if you stop your brilliant help.

If its getting too heavy for one person to achieve, we are here to help. Give us permission to paste and copy your advice and we can all help. Instead of all of it just on you. ♡♥♡

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't let it get to you! Once on another forum I got dumped on for saying that I hadn't had any hypos in a couple of weeks, in answer to somebody's question "how frequently do you have hypos?" (they must have been jealous or something, idk). The internet is full of crazy people or stupid people or just plain mean people, don't let them get you down. We're going to miss you!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with @catapillar and her careful analysis of the original threads and some of the responses in this one.

A degree of forethought never goes amiss when posting to a forum. I've often found that I have posted and not really considered what the OP's situation was. I would bang on about diet and exercise and it was only really when I did my ACL that exercise was not so easy and that might be the case for others.

I would say that recently the OP did have an unsavoury couple of posts with a poster, who was a nurse, that took an exception to some of his wording/attitude. That left an unpleasant whiff.

D

Diabeticliberty

After receiving a considerable amount of flak this afternoon and having to defend myself and what I have posted in good faith on three separate occasions, I have decided to quit. I can't beat (or be bothered with) the posting police any more.
Since joining the forum I have tried to help, support and advise others in the context of what I have learned since I became a member .. but it now seems as though this puts me in the firing line for all those seeking to criticise and condemn. I recognise that I may be wrong but my feelings are that, while I post with a genuine intention of trying to help, this will never be good enough for the "posting police"
Accordingly, while I will continue to read and learn from the forum, I will not be making any more posts

Thanks to everyone who has helped me to learn and progress
Goodbye

I don't particularly look at 'likes' and 'agree' and other stuff attached to member profiles. On this occasion however it seems really relevant to do so. You have 3200 individual 'likes'; for stuff that you have posted. That is 3200 separate occasions whereby something you have written has impacted enough on someone else to say that they have learned from, agreed with, took guidance from something that you posted. Not to mention the people that have liked your stuff but not hit the buttons. This is some kind of achievement to be proud of. All of the individuals on whom you have had positive direct impact really need your continued support. In your closing line you thank everyone who has helped you learn and progress. I personally have found your posts generous, helpful and informative. We are diabetics of different types but I have a keen interest in learning about all aspects of the diabetic condition and some of the information you have freely volunteered has helped shape this learning. I implore you not to let a few bitter and aggressive individuals spoil what you bring for the resat of us. please reconsider your decision.

paline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas
What a shame, I found you very helpful. Good luck with however you decide to progress on here.
I always say 'never say never' :0)

Reactions: woodywhippet61

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Being T1 or T2 in this particular case was irrelevant the op was asking about ways of obtaining a second back up meter AM1874 gave one alternative means of doing that, there was no need to be patronizing or be condescending all any one had to do was give what they thought may have been a better alternative.

@AM1874 As I said please reconsider a decision that may of been made in haste or anger, and stay with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.