Iceland rice alternatives

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm extraordinarily lazy, so I normally buy cauliflower or broccoli rice from the pre prepared veg bit in Sainsbury's:
(Sainsbury's have got a carb alternative option under veg on their online shop, it seems to be mainly butternut squash cut in different shapes though...)

But, as well as being lazy, I'm cheap! So I was pretty happy to see today that Iceland have started doing 4 steam bags of cauliflower rice for £2 or green veg rice made of broccoli, courgette, spinach, kale & seaweed (which sounds nice):
Will have to see how it compares to the broccoli rice, which I am a big fan of. But the Iceland green veg rice is less carbs (3g) than the Sainsbury's broccoli rice (5.3g) and I don't often eat kale or seaweed so a good option to throw a bit more veg variety in.

Just thought I'd share the find in case anyone else is as lazy as I am :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These would be great to have in the freezer as back up or a quick lunch or even breakfast - thanks for the heads up :)

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I had the iceland coli rice and just used the last bag today in my opinion it is quite bitter unless added as I have done to a well spiced /Flavoured stir fry or curry. My today main meal is for two days Stir fried 8 x 1/4 mushrooms, Cellery 2 x stalks ,
8 x 1/4 radishes, 1 chopped bell pepper and garlic fried in butter and coco oil + herbed up well ! I added an iceland low carb bhuna curry and a sachet of coli rice Yummy Low carb and cheap . I will be looking for that multi greens rice next time. Thanks for the heads up..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Always good to find new alternatives. Thanks for the heads up.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely going to find an Iceland shop and try the multi green bags (not a cauliflower fan but I too have enjoyed the broccoli rice when I've seen it) as an alternative to the Birds Eye rice bags I have when I'm in a 'can't be faffed' mood at dinner. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: TIANDB

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm extraordinarily lazy, so I normally buy cauliflower or broccoli rice from the pre prepared veg bit in Sainsbury's:
(Sainsbury's have got a carb alternative option under veg on their online shop, it seems to be mainly butternut squash cut in different shapes though...)

But, as well as being lazy, I'm cheap! So I was pretty happy to see today that Iceland have started doing 4 steam bags of cauliflower rice for £2 or green veg rice made of broccoli, courgette, spinach, kale & seaweed (which sounds nice):
Will have to see how it compares to the broccoli rice, which I am a big fan of. But the Iceland green veg rice is less carbs (3g) than the Sainsbury's broccoli rice (5.3g) and I don't often eat kale or seaweed so a good option to throw a bit more veg variety in.

Thanks very much, the green veg. rice sounds perfect as I know I should be eating kale but can't face the prickles.

Reactions: Prem51 and TIANDB

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks very much for the green rice suggestion. The last time I bought frozen spinach I had to give it away as I couldn't bear the sliminess, and kale gradually turned to compost in my fridge because I couldn't hack the prickles. So I was delighted to find that the green rice from Iceland is pleasantly crunchy when cooked in the bag as they suggest. At 3 carbs per portion, zero washing up and healthy too, a great resource.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks very much, the green veg. rice sounds perfect as I know I should be eating kale but can't face the prickles.
Thanks very much for the green rice suggestion. The last time I bought frozen spinach I had to give it away as I couldn't bear the sliminess, and kale gradually turned to compost in my fridge because I couldn't hack the prickles. So I was delighted to find that the green rice from Iceland is pleasantly crunchy when cooked in the bag as they suggest. At 3 carbs per portion, zero washing up and healthy too, a great resource.
I buy frozen kale from Waitrose. It comes in those green pellets. I've never found them to be 'prickly'.
But I like the sound of these Iceland options, and will get some when I get back.
Thanks @catapillar!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy frozen kale from Waitrose. It comes in those green pellets. I've never found them to be 'prickly'.
But I like the sound of these Iceland options, and will get some when I get back.
Thanks @catapillar!
But if not prickly then maybe slimy?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With frozen kale, I defost them, and then press out as much of the water as I can before stry frying them in butter.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With frozen kale, I defost them, and then press out as much of the water as I can before stry frying them in butter.
The butter sounds nice, but are the frozen kale pellets still essentially slimy?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The key is removing as much water as possible form them, then make them into a type of mash.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The key is removing as much water as possible form them, then make them into a type of mash.
Ah yes, you have brought back happy memories of the corned beef hash of my childhood.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @catapillar!
I see Iceland also sells frozen kale.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The butter sounds nice, but are the frozen kale pellets still essentially slimy?
I steam them over boiling water until they are thawed and hot only 2-3 minutes, they don't get as soggy as if you put them in boiling water.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All. Just to add Aldi have starting doing frozen cauliflower rice with parsley.
3.5g of carbs per bag.
I had a portion with my dinner last night (stuffed mushroom) and saw no rise in my BS